SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shead

Am I crazy for considering this IKEA hack?

shead
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We are seriously considering using IKEA in our new build because of the substantial price savings and IKEA kitchen cabinet reputation. We've seen several friends build new houses in the last few years who paid over twice what we did and their painted finishes are showing tons of wear and tear around their trashcans, etc. and I don't want to be sick over things like that in 5 years.

The dilemma is that we will have 10 ft ceilings in our kitchen. I love the look of stacked cabinets with glass in the uppers but IKEA does not have glass doors for the 20" tall cabinets (only 30" & 40" are available with glass). We are considering the Bodbyn gray cabinets, which has a painted finish, and I'm wondering if it would be difficult and/or impossible to do the following:

1. Cut out the center raised panel of the Bodbyn door with a jig saw, route and/or sand the cut edge, and then touch it up with paint matched to the Bodbyn gray color (BM Cinder). Alternate option would be to order doors from Scherr's without the center panel.

2. Install glass to the back of the doors using clips.

3. Construct a 6" tall header above the top cabinets that would be used to attach crown molding.

4. Spray the inside of the cabinets, header, and crown molding with BM Cinder (which I'm told is virtually identical to Bodbyn gray).

Has anyone done anything similar or have any other suggestions? DH and I are pretty handy so we feel confident that our skills along with those of a handyman friend are more than capable of installing the cabinets without a huge labor expense. Thanks!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!