Protecting my bluebirds

Gwendolyn jo Nelson

I put up a bluebird house last fall, have my first couple. I did not research this thoroughly before starting so now I’m trying to correct things in retrospect. My bluebird couple had been happily nesting, until 2 days ago when I noticed a brown bird going in & out of their house. I went to investigate and found a blue egg on the ground with a hole in it. I researched, then panicked because I read about house sparrows. Long story short I moved their house & nest further away and placed an identical house on the same 4x4 post that the original one was but lower. I’ve noticed the bluebird couple are back, they are now actively building a nest in the new house!! I’ve ordered the monofilament and the sparrow chaser from Michigan bluebird society. In the meantime any suggestions to keep them safe?

SaveCommentLike
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides How to Bring the Joy of Bluebirds to Your Garden
Attract these beautiful songbirds with nesting habitat and food sources, including berry-producing trees and shrubs
Full Story
Gardening for Birds 2018 Is the Year of the Bird. See 3 Ways to Celebrate at Home
Learn about the global effort to protect our feathered friends, and how you can help
Full Story
Most Popular 7 Reasons Not to Clean Up Your Fall Garden
Before you pluck and rake, consider wildlife, the health of your plants and your own right to relax
Full Story
Fitzgerald Home Furnishings has everything for your home's interior - all under one roof! We have quality... Read More
GreenWorks Landscaping has been creating beautiful landscapes in Northern Virginia and the surrounding areas for... Read More