SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
six50joe15

How to implement walking path in natural landscape?

Joe Thomas
4 years ago

4 years ago when we moved to our home, the hill area off the back deck had a few walls made of natural rock that were visible. Most of the area was covered with leaves and overgrowth, mostly ferns. I only noticed recently when clearing out the dead overgrowth that there are a lot of beautiful features buried under it that haven't seen the light of day in probably over a decade, possibly a lot more. There are many stone stairways set into ideal places to allow access to areas fore viewing, or possibly terraced gardens. I'd like to restore all this (DIY), and am more concerned with incremental restorations that will last than getting it done in a certain time table.

I uncovered this stairway over the weekend. Prior, only the top 2 stones were visible. The apparent pathway areas linking these stair areas appear to have had landscape fabric on them (see 2nd photo of area leading up to stairs), but I'm not sure how that alone was used to make them walkable. I couldn't find any pavers or gravel. I'm looking for advice as to what I can do to make the pathways in a way that will be erosion, weed and overgrowth resistant. I know that no solution will be 100% maintenance free. The third photo is a path leading to another stairway (in the mid upper right of photo), and the last is a photo of a wider path between two stone walls.

Advice greatly appreciated!

Comments (4)