SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayarea_girl

Beautiful 2020 roses in my garden

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Roses start blooming my garden. One of the stars of the garden is Augusta Luise (TANgust/Fox-Trot/Hayley Westenra/Rachel), bred by Hans Jürgen Eversin (Germany, 1998) and released in Germany in 1999. The 6-inch blooms are in peach and light yellow and age to salmon-pink with strong, fruity, sweet fragrance. The blooms have ruffled edges and have up to 50 petals. This rose is very healthy in my garden and is one of my perfect roses. Helen

Comments (110)

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    4 years ago

William Morris is a wonderful peach color! What do you do/use for rust?

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Stephanie, I haven’t use anything yet since I’m behind on things. Many of my roses have rust this season. Helen

• Related Discussions

Need a recommendation for an David Austin apricot color rose

Q

Comments (24)
    Somehow, Ambridge rose had fallen off my radar. That is an incredible looking rose, Flowers. Now it's on my wish list. Kristine, your Lady of Shalott is incredible! I had always thought of it as a very bright orange, which is not my favorite color, but then again, Lady Emma Hamilton has always caught my eye. Like others have mentioned, Abraham Darby and Evelyn are my favorites. Both have flowers of a lovely form, and of luscious colors. The fragrances are different, but both delightful and mouthwatering, more so than most roses to my nose, and I am very fragrance focused. Abe is more of a stocky rose in my garden, and Evelyn is more graceful. I've read that Abe can be susceptible to rust, so if that is a problem in your area, you may want to avoid him. Abraham Darby Evelyn
    ...See More

Beautiful 2020 roses in my garden - part 2

Q

Comments (137)
    Bayarea girl, I was just looking over the thread again and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out HOW you take care of so many roses?! lol. Wow. Great job, really! Sheila, I noticed your photo above, I always enjoy your rose photos with the house in the background with the tile roof and the grasses in front and the beautiful mature tree in the background. Very beautiful scene!
    ...See More

My Maryland rose garden 2020

Q

Comments (31)
    So beautiful! Thank you for sharing! Makes me put PJPII back on the wish list! Your first pic is gorgeous. I would love to walk right into the middle and catch a deep breath of all those beauties😍.
    ...See More

My 2020 Rose Garden (Video)

Q

Comments (6)
    It is a heaven on earth. I really love the way you landscape your garden. Everything is neat and extremely well designed. Thank you very much for sharing with us!
    ...See More
  • rosecanadian
    4 years ago

Helen - I soooo love your Geoff Hamilton...your middle picture (to me) is precious! :) I love your ORA too!!! I'm smitten by your first 2 pictures...that strong pink in the middle and then the opened up bloom...wonderful!!! But, your William Morris roses are the best IMHO...sheer perfection!!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked rosecanadian
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Carol. I agree with you, William Morris blooms are beautiful. I have looked at William Morris for a few years but was hesitate to try it because of the rust issue. I saw him in a 5-gallon pot when I picked up my bare roots at Regan, so I just went for it and brought him home. He will need some spraying for the rust, but I think it will be worth it 😊. Helen

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    4 years ago

Keep posting please. when you all with great roses post it ensures I don’t get frustrated and give mine the shovel!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

Your pictures are so beautiful. I think William Morris needs to go on the apricot thread! One hardly hears about this roze and it's so beautiful.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you jc and Vaporvac. I try my best to edit and post as many pics as time allows. I'm glad you enjoy them. I have learned to be patient with the roses that I love and having the roses on like category move to my friends' gardens. I have 3 Eden as a privacy screen, and they are doing great. They create an amazing view in spring. However, they only have 2 flushes each year so I'm thinking to give 2 away and make room for other climbers that repeat more. I think they know that I'm looking at them right now, lol. Here is their pic last spring. Helen

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Teasing Georgia (AUSbaker/'P/27/88') climber rose, bred in the UK 1987. This rose is just amazing in my garden. The yellow, apricot shading, light yellow edges multi-petal 3.25" blooms are gorgeous with moderate fragrance, and it's very healthy and blooms non stop in my garden. It is a must have rose for any garden. Helen

4 years ago

Heavenly. For how long have you had Eden? I would have a hard time giving up those Edens even if they only gave two flushes. Your picture capture's every rose grower's dream and shows their beauty so clearly. May I ask what is the rose behind TG in your first picture? It's a very charming pairing. I just planted a small cutting I rooted last year and am planting an even smaller cutting of Purple Skyliner next to her. Hopefully, it will look half as lovely as your plantings.

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Vaporvac, thanks. My Eden are in their 6th year. I have a small garden so I'm thinking maybe 1 Eden is enough, and if I take out the other 2 Eden, I can plant 3 more climbers in their places. I already have some climbers in pots. I want to see how they perform before moving them to Eden's places. The rose behind Teasing Georgia is The Wedgewood Rose. They are good combo with each other. Helen

4 years ago

Hmmm. I guess that's a long time for two flushes. With a small space and friends to share roses, I would want to try something else myself. One can only imagine how spectacular their replacement will look.

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Vaporvac, I meant 2 flushes per year which is typical for Eden. Helen

• rosecanadian
    4 years ago

Helen - and we benefit too....we get to see your pictures of William Morris!

Holy crap!!! How could you possibly think of giving those roses away!!!!! I don't get that many blooms from ALL of my roses in 3 years!!! Oooh!!! I love your bottom and 3rd from the bottom shots of TG!!! Your photography is amazing!!!

4 years ago

That's what I understood. But I think even in SF you can expect multiple flush from most roses, no? Even here I might get up to four. What roses are you considering as replacements?

• aztcqn
    4 years ago

bayarea_girl, WOw, Beautiful roses!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked aztcqn
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Vaporvac, yes, most roses will have multiple flushes or bloom all the time in the Bay Area . However, Eden normally only has 2 big flushes and a few scattered blooms between. One of the candidates is Lavender Crush. Helen

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

La Park floribunda rose, introduced in the US 2018. The 5-inch deep cup apricot-peach, pink and blush pink blooms have fruity fragrance are very unique that no two blooms are alike. The blooms are really big for a floribunda rose. When I looked at the advertised pictures, I wasn’t impressed. However, it looks amazing in my garden in its first year. It reminds me of gorgeous petal packed European roses that US gardeners have no access to. I love this rose. Helen

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    4 years ago

Love the pics of La Park, especially the first two, so ethereal against the dark background.

You get TWO good flushes oit of Eden, now I’m jealous, I only get one. When does that second flush come, after the 1st one, or in the fall? I’m going to tell my Eden there’s supposed to be a repeat, Helen said so! Much as I love Lavender Crush ( and its one of my very favorites), it doesn’t have the color impact of some other roses.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ben, Eden has a big Spring flush then a smaller fall flush in my garden. Thank you for the Lavender Crush info. I’ll keep an eye on it. Helen

• erasmus_gw
    4 years ago

Spectacular!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked erasmus_gw
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Charlotte (AUSpoly/Elgin Festival) shrub rose, bred by David C. H. Austin (UK, before 1992) and released in UK 1994. The 3.25-inch yellow, orange shading blooms have moderate fragrance. This rose is from the seed of Chaucer × Conrad Ferdinand Meyer and the pollen of Graham Thomas. This rose blooms all the time in my garden. Helen

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Quick Silver ('KO 04/2033-01'/KORpucoblu/Quicksilver) climber rose, bred by Tim Herman Kordes (Germany, 2004) and released in US 2016. The 3.25-inch very full gorgeous lavender blooms have mild fragrance. I was looking for a petal packed lavender rose and this rose meets the condition perfectly. It is very healthy, repeats well in my garden, is one of my perfect rose. Helen

• rosecanadian
    4 years ago

Helen - I love your La Park! You always grow such spectacular specimens!! Oooh!! I love the 2nd last picture of Charlotte!!! Amazing! And what a color on your Quicksilver!!!! :)

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Erasmus and Carol. Carol, I love La Park, too. What's a big difference between advertised pics and in person. It's amazing. I agree, Quick Silver is a perfect rose. I feel blessed to have access to these beautiful perfect roses. Have you thought about moving to California like Jen (Lilyfinch) so you can enjoy roses 12 months of the year?

Sometimes we just need to relax & enjoy life. Here are some roses from my garden to welcome a new day of the week: Eden, Earth Angel and Liv Tyler.

Helen

• damask_rose_zone9b
    4 years ago

What a stunning bouquet! I love the cupped blooms!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked damask_rose_zone9b
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Damask, Earth Angel bloom form is my favorite. It doesn’t repeat as much as other roses, but when it blooms, it is stunning. Helen

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

A lighter version of the previous bouquet pic. Which one do you like, light or dark version? Helen

• damask_rose_zone9b
    4 years ago

I like them all. They're stunning! Both pictures showcase the roses beautifully.

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Damask. I like both of them, too. 😂 Helen

• CeresMer Zone 7a NJ
    4 years ago

Helen, you have the most beautiful roses. hard to pick a favorite!! That Eden picture is amazing! I’m just growing my first roses, so super newbie... do you think Earth angel would do ok in a container for a little while?

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked CeresMer Zone 7a NJ
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Ceres. Earth Angel will do well in a pot for a little while. Helen

• rosecanadian
    4 years ago

Helen - sigh...yes, I have thought of that. I've been watching on HTGV (why don't they take the G for garden out of that acronym....never any gardening shows) shows about Island house shopping. And today about Italy and cooking. I've definitely been wanting to move....just sublimely different than here....warm all the time, beautiful locations, etc. But, we won't....and I'm okay with that. You got a gasp out of me with your first picture!! Amazing!!! And if you can change the wording on it (don't know if you can)...you could change Earth Angle to Earth Angel. :) Definitely the lighter one! So much happier looking....looks like something from David Austin's website/catalogues. Like one of his designers plonked that together.

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    4 years ago

I like the lighter bouquet. Quick Silver is beautiful too!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • Glimmer of Hope (9b, inland SoCal)
    4 years ago

Such gorgeous roses! Your Love Song is stunning!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Glimmer of Hope (9b, inland SoCal)
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Carol, thank you for noticing the typo. I corrected it. I do that often, "angel" becomes "angle", lol. It's easy to make the change using the "Edit" option. I like the edit option on the post because I often go back correcting typo mistakes. Thank you for the great complement because David Austin has beautiful website/catalogues. I have some skills in photographing roses, however, I don't have a lot of skills in flower arrangement yet, so if a bouquet looks good it's because of luck, lol.

Stephanie, thank you. Quick Silver is a perfect rose in my garden. I got it own root from Rose Unlimited 4 years ago, and it becomes one of the stars in my garden.

Glimmer of Hope, thank you. Love Song blooms in flushes, and each flush lasts quite a long time on the bush. It has the prime spot in my front yard and is another star in my garden. Helen

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Carding Mill (AUSwest) shrub rose, bred by David C. H. Austin (UK, 2004) and released in US 2005. The 3-inch apricot blend globular, ruffled blooms have moderate myrrh fragrance. Its parent is Scepter'd Isle. This rose is very carefree in my garden. Helen

• damask_rose_zone9b
    4 years ago

Ooh, I love that color!

• rosecanadian
    4 years ago

Helen - you deserve that compliment! Seriously! :) Oh, glad that it was easy to change the typo and that I didn't annoy you. I never proof what I've written...so I'm sure my comments have typos. They're easy to make, that's for sure!

Good grief!!!! Your last picture looks like your Carding Mill is on steroids!! What a rose!!! Well done!! I bow. :)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    4 years ago

Helen , your roses are remarkable. Thank you for sharing with us . Your photos really highlight the best if the roses !!!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Damask, Carol , and Jen.

Carol, you are always very sweet :) I'm glad you let me know. I will feel bad for the rose if it goes with the name "Earth Angle", lol. Carding Mill is a trooper. I haven't learned how to make grass edging so Carding Mill constantly has to fight the grass that tries to steal its water and nutrition. Helen

• rosecanadian
    4 years ago

Helen - :) :) Your Carding Mill is one of the most amazing roses I've ever seen! Well done!

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    4 years ago

Carding Mill is one of my very favorite Austin roses - if not the very favorite. Beautiful color!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked alameda/zone 8/East Texas
  • Nola z5aWI
    4 years ago

Helen, Your roses are beautiful! The ones that stood out to me were Geoff Hamilton, Love Song, the combination of Ebb Tide and Olivia Austin, Charlotte and Quicksilver (just arrived!). Thank you for posting all of these great pictures, and also for posting the bush shots, those tell so much about a rose!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Nola z5aWI
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Carol, Alameda, and Nola.

I feel blessed to be able to grow roses in my garden and feel even more blessed to be able to share the beautiful roses with others. Here are some roses in my garden: A Night of Magic (bred by @dave_bang_roses), Ebb Tide, Princess Charlene De Monaco, and the forever graceful roses from @david_austin_roses: Jude the Obscure, Olivia Rose Austin, and Boscobel. Helen

• Nola z5aWI
    4 years ago

Bravo Helen! Love your grouping! A night of Magic I have never seen before, I'll have to look that one up!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Nola z5aWI
  • dianela7analabama
    4 years ago

Wow WOW Helen. Your roses and pictures don‘t just look as good as the Austin catalog, they look BETTER.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked dianela7analabama
  • sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

I would feel like I was in a fantasy land to be surrounded by so much beauty, your roses are amazing!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • sbrklyn_7bny
    4 years ago

Thanks for sharing! Love the shots of the full bush.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked sbrklyn_7bny
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Nola, Dianela, SaraAn, and sbrklyn.

Nola, I got A Night of Magic by luck (a local nursery just carried it for one season), and it's a wonderful rose.

Dianela, thank you for the great complement because David Austin's catalog is beautiful :)

SaraAnn, I feel really blessed. I'm sure I'll receive another letter from my city saying I'm using too much water, lol.

Helen

• rosecanadian
    4 years ago

Helen - HOW can you grow that many gorgeous roses!!!! The density of the blooms is unreal! And they're gorgeous!!! !!!!