SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

Even I know this is wrong! Furnace pan is off.

Peke
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Ok, I am not a heat and air person, but even I know that this is a crappy job! I had two new heaters and two new air conditioners installed 5 years ago, and they installed both in the attic. The original units were downstairs in closets. The upstairs unit started leaking in late December. We noticed a wet spot in the ceiling when our children and grandchildren visited one weekend. The upstairs seldom gets used, so we called the heat and air company, and they came out and fixed the leak supposedly. In January, it leaked again, and it was supposedly fixed again. In February, the ceiling fell because it was still leaking.

So, since the ceiling fell, we could see that the guys did not even put the pan under the pipes that were leaking! Even I would know to do that! The pan is black on top of the wood.

So, I have been trying to get the problem fixed. I kept calling twice a week. They would tell me they would be there by the end of the day. No show! There is no point in fixing the ceiling until the pan and leak are fixed. Plus, with the ceiling gone, they can get it easier.

At the end of February, two of the guys came out. One is the A/C guy and he told the plumber what the problem was. It is not even his job and he knew! He called the owner of the company in front of me, and he gave him a list of what needed to be done. They said it would be fixed in two days. They didn't show up again! Twice a week they said they would be here.

In March, the company stopped returning my calls. My GC knows the owner, and he is not returning his calls either. I think I have been very patient. I leave a message a couple of times a week. Today, the owner actually answered his phone. He said its would be fixed today! Nope. They did not show up again.

My GC is remodeling the upstairs, and removing that awful popcorn ceiling! After tomorrow, he will be ready to fix the hole in the ceiling, but we need to leave it open for the guys to fix it. I know it won't leak again until we use the heater, but geez, enough is enough!

I am not even asking for the company to repair the ceiling even though it is their fault for not putting the pan in the correct place. I am paying for it.

Any advice on what to do? I am so sick of the lack of good contractors around here and their lack of follow through. (Rural area where I live....most contractors in cities are great!)

I am not the "get a lawyer" type. I just want them to fix it. Thanks for any advice.

Comments (45)

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    4 years ago

I think most of this will be a hindsight is 20/20 sort of thing. It really doesn't matter if you live in the city or rural. Bad jobs exist everywhere.

Just a year or so ago, I came across a ceiling cave in from a customer who was also a home warranty customer --- big city job just due east of me in Katy, Texas. (I don't do home warranties --- but that doesn't prevent people from calling me who actually want things to 'work' -- some will profess how much the home warranty company has saved them, until 3 years / 4 years later some cave in event or other bad problem develops.) In some cases it doesn't take but a year to have issues.

For clarification: for a HVAC company to have poor workmanship they don't have to be a home warranty provider.

For clarity what you present in the picture I see the reason why the pan doesn't extend the whole area under the unit... like it should. Clearly there are obstacles in the way for this to happen. There could be a laundry list of things that added up to why this exists in the first place... top of the list is poor planning and lack of experience. Not only planning but looking ahead.

Given that the company promises you this or that and continues to not fulfill the request is yet another sign of 'poor planning' -- or there is no plan. Just make promises and continue to break them.

You either continue to deal with them or you pay someone else to fix their mistakes. It's not likely to be cheap.

Equipment manufacturer's don't warranty improper installation.

If I had any recommendation it would be to find a 'working' Licensed Contractor. Realize even this doesn't guarantee much. But look at it in terms of risk. That licensed contractor's business is on the line.

Completely different for a tech or a AC 'guy' that is just looking for a weekly pay check. >>> risk <<< (Entire business versus weekly pay check ) Who stands to lose more?

Peke thanked Austin Air Companie
  • millworkman
    4 years ago

Why would you trust a company that fixed it twice poorly, has zero customer service skills, and has lied to another opportunity to screw you? He has told you already repeatedly that he isn't coming back to "fix" it. Suck it up, and pay someone else to fix it properly so it does not hold up the balance of your project.

Peke thanked millworkman
  • Related Discussions

NO HEAT...I Can't afford a new furnace...oe even the service call

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks krantzcool, but I'm a little confused! H.D. plumber told me to disconnect that pilot &quot;tube&quot; from the gas valve and press down on the pilot and if I smell or hear gas, then there's likely a problem w/ a clogged tube? If I don't smell gas, than there's likely a problem w/ the gas valve! Well, I didn't hear or smell any gas at all from that spot on the gas valve, so needless to say, when I hooked it all back up- nothing still! Purge the gas line, leak check ? I'm just a homeowner who want's heat and the &quot;for sale&quot; sign in front of my house in 3 weeks!! Is there anything else I can try before a tech comes on Mon...$$$ ?? Thanks!
    ...See More

Noisy, Smoky, and Wrong New Furnace

Q

Comments (7)
    I am not a smoker and do not appreciate anyone smoking inside of my house. I do not have any ash trays for smokers. They can go outside if they must smoke. With this said, when a furnace is first started, there is usually an odor. It will burn off within a few minutes. The smell dissipates within 1-2 hours. If it doesn't, than you have another problem. A smoker cannot affect the furnace more than a few seconds after it is started. It is not possible to do anything long lasting to the furnace, except screw-up the installation. As to noise, if the blower is larger; expect more noise. If using a higher speed, expect more noise. If you have a variable speed blower, expect more noise. In short, that cra*py old Goodman was probably better than the new unit, when talking about noise. I happen to like Goodman, and feel that Goodman is superior to Carrier, TRANE and Lennox. This was not always true.
    ...See More

I don't even know me any more....

Q

Comments (83)
    I am 42 and have been miserable for the better part of the last 9 years. I used to think it was my job making me so unhappy so I left it for a lower paying job which I hated even more! I worked there for a year and a half and finally got fired which is what I thought I really wanted because I had lost all desire to work. It didn't help that my new boss constantly made me feel as though I could do nothing right.This was not the person I knew to be myself. I used to be out going professional and ambitious but I had lost all of my will to work any longer. During the first 6 months while I'm on unemployment I cried most days and didn't want to leave the house. I told myself I was trying to figure out what I really wanted in life and did so by reading books and scouring the internet for information on different careers. Eventually, I found out what's really going on with me was my hormones were making me insane. I never felt so alone in my entire life. My mother didn't offer much in the way of support because while she had a tough time with menopause, it was of a different kind. She had hot flashes and the night sweats and the crying all the time but my symptoms have been different than her. I'm not yet in menopause I guess, but perimenopause? I'm obsessed about my symptoms and spend all of my free time, at work, scouring the internet for information on how to help myself because I do not trust doctors. The last time I saw my gyno she was removing the IUD that she had inserted 3 months prior that escalated all of my symptoms. Since having the IUD I have had cystic acne the makes me want to wear a bag over my head. Speaking of bags, I also have had chronic sinus issues for 9 years that no prescription has helped and this leaves me with a bag under my right eye that no expensive eye cream can help. I have spent thousands of dollars on credit seeing 2 other doctors who tested my hormones and determined I was low on progesterone and vitamin D of all things, I live in the sunshine state! Have taken compounded, natural progesterone and felt better long enough to find a new job. Then my dog of 13 years died, followed ny my stepfather of 37 years dying. During the last several months of taking care of my stepfather I stopped taking care of myself and find myself back to feeling hopeless. I feel like no one understands what I am going through or wants to be around me. Going to see the same gyno today and plan to discuss whether or not she can help me. I need to feel better NOW. I am so miserable, I can't stand myself!
    ...See More

Do you know how to say I'm wrong/I'm sorry?

Q

Comments (23)
    I'm the type that has to clear up misunderstandings very quickly. I have no problem saying I was wrong. Years ago when I started meditating I realized that when our egos get in front of a &quot;situation&quot; nothing good is going to happen. I try to quell my ego and think along the lines of the other person and how they feel. I'm not saying I won't stand up for myself but I am saying that some issues are just to menial to bother. Live is so short and love can be forever if you swallow your pride and fess up you may have screwed up. After a while it becomes so easy. That being said, as a child and young adult, I would NEVER give. lol
    ...See More
  • Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Austin Air, I have never trusted home warranties. The owner inherited the business from his father, so the business has been going for about 50 years. He has a full time job, and pays others to do the plumbing and heat/air work. He pays them well, but a lot of employees just care about their paycheck. If they are redoing something they messed up, they are not earning money.

I can see that the unit should have been up on blocks or something since the pipes are in the way. He told me that if my GC fixed the problem, then the entire heat/AC warranty would be void. I still have five more years of warranty.

Millworkman, I know. They fixed it about four times supposedly. All he did was clean something out that he said was stopped up. He never actually did anything else. In the last two years, the owner has checked out of his business and is relying on his employees to keep it going. I live in a rural area, and there are not a lot of experienced contractors to choose from. We have one garage door company about a half hour away, and they finally fixed my garage door five months after it broke. 17 miles away from us. Couldn't get my car out of the garage during that time. They fixed it this week plus charged me a $200.00 trip charge for warranty work!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

File a formal written complaint with the state contracting licensing board. That'll get his attention, believe me. He won't blow off their communications, I promise.

Write the documented complaint, but first send him a copy stating that if the problems aren't fixed in a week, you'll forward it to the state. He'll drop everything to get to you.

"I had two new heaters and two new air conditioners installed 5 years ago, and they installed both in the attic. The original units were downstairs in closets."

You got an engineer's stamp that the trusses will support those units? There may have been a reason they were in the closets to begin with.

Peke thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • Lyndee Lee
    4 years ago

Is preserving this questionable warranty a concern at this time? So you can deal with these people for the next 5 years? You are already having trouble getting them to fix their own work so you won't be getting them to fix the additional damage caused by their incompetence and lack of care. It may be cheaper in the long run to just move on to a better company. I don't know whether their statement about the warranty is even true. Perhaps the equipment itself will be covered by the manufacturer's warranty although the labor won't be.

I also had some work performed by a company where the founder retired and the second generation took over. The son just did not have the same skill level or the same commitment to the customers as his father so we will be using a different company for our next project.

Peke thanked Lyndee Lee
  • Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Josep h, No, we did not. I am used to contractors who do the right thing and who know their jobs. This is the first time I have ever worked with poor contractors. It was their idea to put them in the attic. I will have my GC check the trusses out. The house was built in 1966 for the downstairs unit so they never put them in attics back then. In the 70s, 80s, and 90s, the 850 sf lake cabin got bigger and bigger so I don't know when they added the upstairs and garage.

Lyndee, There is no one else unless they come from two hours away. Four hours round trip. I don't mind paying trip charges either, but no one wants to drive this far just for one job. I don't blame them when they can get paid for 3 or more jobs if they stay in the city.

This issue just started in late 2018 with his employees. I believe the workers are working under the owner's license and the owner does not check their work. I think Joseph's idea of a letter might work. I just hate doing that to contractors, but I will if I have to.

I will call every morning and every night, then Monday, I will tell him I will be writing a letter. We'll see if that helps. I will have it ready to go to mail on Monday.

Warranty? The AC units have both been repaired two or three times in five years, so the rest of the warranty is worth it. He said if anyone changed one thing about the setup, that the equipment itself would no longer be under warranty. I don't know how he can do that though.

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oklahoma offers Journeyman license for HVAC technicians:

Prerequisites and Applying:
    – Work under the supervision of a licensed HVAC contractor.
    – Must have at least 3 years of industry work experience and a diploma from an approved institution.
    – Must also take a written exam consisting of 70 questions in 3 hours, with a passing score of 75%.
    – The exam and license fee is $75.
    – Each license is valid for 1 year.
    – Download forms here.

For HVAC contractors to obtain a license. 6 different licenses are offered:

– Unlimited
    – Limited
    – Refrigeration
    – Natural gas piping
    – Sheet metal
    – Process piping

Prerequisites and Applying:
    – Applicants are required to post a $5000 license bond and have at least $50,000 in liability insurance.
    – Must also pass both a Business and Law exam and a contractor exam, with a combined fee of $88. The contractor exam consists of 90 questions in 4 hours, with a passing score of 75%.
    – The license fee is $225.
    – Each license is valid for 1 year.
    – Download forms here.

Read More http://hvaccertificationsource.com/hvac-certification-requirement-in-oklahoma/

It has just been a couple of years since roofers were required to have an license. It took us a long time to find one an hour away. Everybody seems to roof houses, but few have licenses.,

• mike_home
    4 years ago

It looks like the attic joists are only 2X4 lumber on 16 inch centers. Are they supporting two HVAC systems? It doesn't look it could support all this weight. I suggest you have your contractor sister a second 2X4 to every exposed joist.

If you had come to this forum 5 years ago. I would have tried to convince you not to install condensing furnaces in the attic. It can be done, but you need a HVAC contractor who knows what they are doing and takes some pride in their work.

Peke thanked mike_home
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

"It looks like the attic joists are only 2X4 lumber on 16 inch centers."

There are no joists with trusses; only bottom chords. The truss acts as a complete structural unit. This is why you can't just hack out webbing to make way for HVAC.

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I found his license number and info. This is what it says...

License Type Plumbing Contractor License Application

License Status Denied

No expiration date

License Type Mechanical Contractor License Application

License Status Completed

No expiration date

License Type Electrical Journeyman License Application

License Status Denied

No expiration date

License Type Mechanical Contractor License

License Status Active

Expiration Date 08/31/2020

Citation. NO

I don't know if the denials are for him personally or the guys that work for him. How does this work?

If I understand correctly, the apprentice works under a journeyman, and the journeyman works under the licensed contractor. Somewhere along the line, someone has to attend classes and pass tests. But, aren't the apprentices and journeymen supposed to work WITH the licensed contractor. Shouldn't the contractor be present? Maybe I have it wrong.

Man, I hate doing this to him, but I will give him until next week.

Do I need to contact these people? I have not found any online complaint form yet.

Electrical Field Investigators

Mechanical Field Investigators

Plumbing Field Investigators

Is my problem a HVAC mechanical problem or a plumbing problem?

There are only 5 investigators for plumbing and 6 for mechanical in the state.

Below: I found this pdf dated April 10, 2019.

MEMORANDUM TO: ACTIVE CONTRACTORS FROM: JANIS HUBBARD, ADMINISTRATOR CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRIES BOARD

RE: NOTIFICATION FORMS

September 1, 1993, Senate Bill 135 amended the Plumbing, Electrical, and Mechanical Licensing Acts to require that any individual, business, company, corporation, association, or other entity shall provide notice to the Construction Industries Board when installing, modifying, or altering plumbing, electrical, or mechanical systems in any incorporated area of this state which does not require a permit and have an appointed inspector to perform inspections.

Simply stated, if you are performing certain plumbing, electrical, or mechanical work on any property in cities or towns that have not adopted a nationally recognized code, do not require permits, or perform inspections, it will be necessary for you to notify the Construction Industries Board of the work. If the work is to be concealed, notification is required 72 hours before the work is concealed; otherwise notification is required within seven (7) days of commencement of work.

Notification will not be required for normal minor repair work, which does not violate the manufacturer’s requirements. The notification form included on the back of this memorandum lists the types of work for which notification is required. We have included the investigator’s areas and their cell phone numbers. If you have questions, feel free to contact your area investigator.

So, according to this letter, the contractors are supposed to contact the Oklahoma Construction Industries Board. Instead, they always tell me, "no permit needed because you are outside of city limits". Hmmmm.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

"Is my problem a HVAC mechanical problem or a plumbing problem?"

Mechanical, but if he's hacked your trusses, you've got structural problems now. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen this. It's possible the mechanical inspector would approve this and the building inspector red tags it.

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Q: Are General Contractors required to have a state license in Oklahoma?

A: General Contractors are not currently required to have a state license in Oklahoma.

Q: Does the CIB issue “permits” for plumbing, electrical or mechanical work to be performed?

A: No. The CIB does not have authority to “permit” specific work, only to regulate the qualifications and responsibilities of the licensed or registered worker performing the work and enforce the statewide adopted building codes for plumbing, electrical and mechanical work in geographic areas that have adopted statewide codes but do not employ a building and construction inspector. This is usually in rural areas or smaller jurisdictions.

Q: Since there is no “permit” issued by the CIB, is there any notice that must be provided to the CIB before performing plumbing, electrical, or mechanical work?

A: Yes. If you are installing, modifying, or altering plumbing, electrical, or mechanical systems on any property in cities or towns that have not adopted a State recognized code, do not require permits, does not have an appointed inspector or perform inspections in the related trade, you must provide notice to the CIB. See Notification Of Work Without Permit form.

Q: Is there a requirement for plumbing, electrical and mechanical work to be inspected by the CIB?

A: There is no statutory requirement for plumbing, electrical and mechanical construction work to be inspected by the CIB. The CIB performs inspections when requested on plumbing, electrical and mechanical work outside of jurisdictions having authority where there is no inspector and when investigating a complaint on unlicensed, unregistered activity or compliance with the state adopted codes, especially when it involves life safety.

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I believe he could get fined based on some of these rules: Oklahoma Construction Industries Board. Plus, he was supposed to complete a form to the state when he installed the units.

Fines:

(3) Contractor working unlicensed or unregistered individual (per person): (A) First - $500.00; (B) Second or subsequent - $1,000.00.

(4) Contractor working registered apprentice without direct supervision (per apprentice): (A) First - $500.00; (B) Second or subsequent - $1,000.00.

(5) Unlicensed or unregistered individual performing trade work under the direction of one acting as a contractor: (A) First - $500.00; (B) Second or subsequent - $1,000.00.

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oklahoma is a state that does NOT want government involved in their business whether it is gun control or education or contractor businesses. Therefore, there are very few people to inspect and investigate contractors. Homeowners want the government involved, but most of us don't know what to do when we get a poor contractor.

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Joseph, you said, "Mechanical, but if he's hacked your trusses, you've got structural problems now."

Do you mean did they cut into the trusses? As far as I have seen, the unit is just sitting on top of them. I am in my 60s, but I can get a ladder and look without crawling around up there.

Billy Joe Bob Junior Bubba....fill in the name...that's quality work!!!!

• mike_home
    4 years ago

There are no joists with trusses; only bottom chords. The truss acts as a complete structural unit.

Joseph Corlett,

Can you explain this in more detail? Are you able to determine from the photo provided the house was built with an attic truss and the problem is not as severe as I think it is?

Peke thanked mike_home
  • Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I can't have anyone else touch it. He installed new units at the local VFW, and he told the VFW that because someone else looked at their unit, the warranty was voided. All he did was touch a line of some kind with his hand to see if it was cold.

I was a teacher, so I know a lot of people. Word will get around.

Lightning struck our roof's Direct TV dish with internet one time and blew out anything electronic that was attached, (TVs, dvrs, bluray players, gaming systems, etc). Plus, it blew a hole out of our vinyl siding in two places on the front of our house. (we were home at the time.) insurance company offered us less than $1,000.00 to replace or repair everything. It took me over a year, but I did my research and wound up getting over $12,000.

I don't like doing it, but if he refuses to fix the problems, he may well lose a lot more than just $500 and $1000 fines per occurrence. None of the guys that come here to repair things are licensed and the fines are per occurrence and per person. They have been here a total of 8 or 9 times since December. First occurrence $500 and second is $1000, and I believe all others are $3500.00 each. That is going to add up if I report him. Cheaper to fix my issues.

Joseph, they cut the trusses!

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And they cut this board in three places that runs the length of the attic floor. Don't know its purpose.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

"Are you able to determine from the photo provided the house was built with an attic truss and the problem is not as severe as I think it is?"

No. I'm quarentined and guessing at things based on incomplete pictures.

You can't just cut a truss (I'm guessing that's what you've pictured) without an engineer's blessing.

The point is, these may end up coming out of the attic. You may have much more serious problems than a leaking pan.

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I found this the other day when I removed some crappy wall papered drywall in the hall bath. Then found more crappy paneled drywall underneath. Then found these copper pipes and the cut outs in the 2 x 6s. Even I know to put metal over the cuts so someone can't drill into them.

This has to be the worst construction I have ever seen. I will not be calling my usual plumber (with the HVAC company).

I am afraid to look at the other heating unit.

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mike home, every house we have owned had the heaters in the attic so we never thought anything about it. The main house is one story and has 1 heater in the attic. The garage evidently was added in the 80s or 90s, and an upstairs was built above it. That also has a heater in the attic. The roofs are supporting each heater separately. Still not good to cut the trusses.

My GC saw the cut trusses but didn't say anything until I mentioned them. Adding fixing trusses to my list.

• mike_home
    4 years ago

Do you mean did they cut into the trusses? As far as I have seen, the unit is just sitting on top of them.

Peke is saying nothing was cut. The ceiling was opened to remove the damaged sheet rock. The attic floor is made of 2X4 lumber. Even if the span is less than 12 feet it would seem this structure was not designed to support the load the the HVAC equipment plus any who goes into the attic to repair and service the equipment.

Peke thanked mike_home
  • Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Joseph, I don't know the difference between trusses, joists, and bottom chords....if we hired someone to fix it, we will never know if they did it right or not. It's throwing more money away if they don't fix it right.

Five years ago, I tried to get an architect/engineer to look at my upstairs room because we wanted to divide the upstairs room. No one wanted to drive here and I can't blame them. They never even set a price. They just said no. Every GC that has looked at it said the garage could support the two rooms upstairs. But, here is the thing...General Contractors do NOT need a license in Oklahoma. So how can I trust anyone?

Is there a specific thing you need to see in the picture?

I am so frustrated.

By the way, there doesn't seem to be an inspector problem in Oklahoma. Every house passes, I guess.

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

millworkman, do you really think of this as blackmail? I don't.

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mike home, I said as far as I could tell nothing was cut. Then, I climbed a ladder and saw the cuts. I am 65 years old and shouldn't be climbing into attics. 😁

• mike_home
    4 years ago

I looked back at the previous posts and either I missed the photos, or you added them after I posted. I now see several cuts. This is not good. You need to hire someone you can trust to come in and assess the situation.

Peke thanked mike_home
  • Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Houzz is doing weird stuff. I missed your post as well.

My GC crawled up in there today. He thinks because it is the 2nd truss that it will be okay. I know he is not engineer though.

Trusses are 15" apart instead of 16", and the heater is sitting on 3 trusses. It would be better if it sat on 4.

The heater in the upstairs is the smaller one. I remember the AC units were 5 ton for the main house and I thought the AC for the room above the garage was a 2 ton.

The HVAC guy told him yesterday that there is some part that is cracked in the heater. Something about condensation and something about the fuser (spelling?). I may not be remembering right.

So that would be warranty work, I think. Maybe???

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

" I will pretty well guarantee that nothing would come of attempting to blackmail the contractor or crying to the state."

millworkman:

This is the internet age. Try explaining away a state complaint against your license to a potential customer. Unless you can obliterate it as illegitimate, you better get that thing gone ASAP.

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Joseph, I agree. The really great pros want to keep their reputation clean (as long as the complaints are fair and truthful). So-so pros think they have plenty of work, so they don't need to worry about complaints. Those complaints might come back to bite them in a slow economy. I know the pros have to deal with many stupid, untruthful complaints too. Teachers have the same problems.

Ok. A text to the owner was answered within 3 minutes tonight! He called and apologized. Evidently it was something specific that I said???? 👍. (BBB and state licensing board...and I also said, "Please don't make me make these calls!" (Thanks Joseph for the suggestion!) I guess I am just too nice and far too patient.

He said he is coming personally with the plumbers tomorrow to fix the problems at no charge. Bear in mind that he has a full time job himself. I was surprised when he said he would make sure the plumber showed up because he was bringing him. We'll see!

After the call, I texted him about other leaks that he had forgotten about.

I reminded him we still had other leaks that we told him about over a year ago, and that he had promised to change our old leaking shut off, screw on, valves in the bathrooms, and they had never done it. We have kept a cup to catch the slow leak in the kitchen and we empty it twice a week.

I am hoping that with the promise of payment on non-warranty work (the valves and kitchen leak) that he will show up. We tried that before and it didn't work.

He said he gives the list of names to his people, but they forget about me. I will give him the benefit of the doubt, but he has been ignoring my calls and texts for months now, so I may be too forgiving.

Squeaky wheel...

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    4 years ago

I know by now this post is quite late to this thread but there have been times where I have recommended that customers pull and move an HVAC system from a closet and put it in the attic.

But these kinds of recommendations is based on making servicing easier, not just as difficult as having the system in a closet. I only recommend it if it will make servicing the unit better. A truss type roofing system --- uh, no. I would never recommend pulling a HVAC system in a closet and relocating it to an attic. This is planning and knowing what works. In some cases leaving in a closet is a better choice. Even though a closet is often times a more costlier endeavor to service the equipment.

(Like say the Evap coil fails and so every time that happens the furnace has to be removed and then reinstalled with the 'warranty' evap coil. --- because there is no room to do it, unless there is room to pull it from above in the attic. --- Remember this is a truss attic so that is often times unlikely.)

It costs more to move a system anywhere. Salesmen are paid on commission a percentage of the job total. Technician or other position is likely similar to some extent. So with a 2 hour one way drive, these positions are likely trying to compensate themselves for that trip. Most HVAC companies do not pay drive time. Manufacturer warranties do not pay drive time either. {big shocker huh?}

I know this sounds like excuses upon excuses --- but I worked these kinds of jobs earlier in my career saw stupid stuff like this and as a technician I was expected to fix it. I get the fun job that no one before me wanted to do, they do something minor say they fixed it in hopes that they won't get the job to go back there. 2 hour one way trip. Yep, that pretty much will kill any tech's salary for the week that is paid based on commission.

This is why you're better to find a working contractor, not a GC, not someone who is going to sub the work out. I realize finding one willing to drive 2 hours one way is likely improbable. I have refused / turned away work that is too far out.

Why? because I know my quote is going to be higher than a possible nearby competitor and I have wasted my time countless times before driving hours on end to a job I don't get anyway. Time is worth more than money. Simple as that. A $200 trip charge still isn't enough, to make up the time loss. Maybe for a tech who is paid commission a percentage of that, but the tech won't like that either. Because that tech is making less than minimum wage to make that trek.

It sounds like this job is in Oklahoma somewhere in a deep rural area... which only exacerbates any kind of 'warranty' work. Or even quality control issues.... where as the install crew are reprimanded by having to work with no pay.

See working in this field, is not like a regular punch the clock type job... because the company would fail for those who like 'riding' a clock. Put in their 8 hours go home. A HVAC company survives by collecting for as many billable hours as possible.

The home owner is who pays the wages, over head, materials, and with any luck profit for the company owner (if there is any). In this situation I doubt it. 2 hours one way, it's a nightmare for unbillable hours.

So everything in this post has most likely contributed to the position you find yourself in. Fair, nope it's not fair to you... not fair to the techs who get called out. But imagine a tech that goes to your house once. They see this call again and simply don't show. There is no supervision -- the techs know how they can get out of various things.

Remember these people are working for a paycheck. I know these explanations do little for you... except to give you some clarity.

So who (if anyone) won in this situation?

Answer: The salesman. Now think why he won?

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Problem is fixed. The pan is actually under the heater. Cracked ??? whatever it was called is fixed. The pipe is now running downhill like it is supposed to. (Didn't see this problem.) They accidentally moved the pipe that goes up to the roof and I could see daylight. I called them back about the "skylight" they left. They came back and fixed it with clear silicone caulking.

My husband picked up roofing caulk today, and he will fix it with the caulk. Who knows what kind of silicone caulk they used.

All good.

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Geez, we just realized that they did not turn on the unit to see if it worked and to see if it was still leaking. We are ready to put new drywall in the ceiling where the ceiling collapsed. Critical thinking is not their strong suit, I guess!

We moved the thermostat, but took a picture of the colored wires. The heater has gas turned on and it has power.

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Austin Air, these are local guys. The owner is the salesman and he lives about ten minutes away.

I agree with you on time spent driving two hours though. Why would anyone do that when they have all the work they need in their large city?

The $200 was for a local company's trip charge when their garage door opener failed. They had installed two doors and two openers previously.

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    4 years ago

Austin Air, these are local guys. The owner is the salesman and he lives about ten minutes away.

If that's the case then no one won. If a job the owner sold is as bad as this, I question the soundness of this company.

There's really no good reason you've had the trouble you've had with the owner a mere 10 min away.

I would also question why he would move a closet system to a truss built attic... the only way that makes sense is giving his work crews some extra work... but if this is the workmanship they deliver --- it's a sinking ship.

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

There are not many contractors to choose from around here. I found out yesterday that his crew is working long, long hours daily, and even on some Saturdays at a private housing development a few miles away from us on the lake. It is almost a small town with stores and even their own school, and 500k and higher homes. I drove through it, and the houses are crammed in close together. Very few homes have garages, probably because of the expense. I thought there might be 40-50 homes, but there are hundreds. No wonder I can't find quality contractors! They are busy there. I would bet half the homes are only lived in during the summer or vacations.

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    4 years ago

New construction contractors is not what you want either. That is an entirely different mine field.

You need a HVAC repair specialist... as an example I don't do new construction. If I am going to work in newer construction... it's after the builder has left which is usually within a year or two of the structure being built.

New construction job is to build new stuff... not fix old buildings.

I know 1 or 2 year old building isn't old... but it is to a builder.

I realize this doesn't mean you will be able to find what you need in a HVAC contractor / specialist or other...

I service the Katy, Texas area.

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes. My dad built many of the high rises in Tulsa before he went on to build homes. I guess the work got a little high for him.

We have used the same plumber, heat\air, and electrician since we moved here. They do it all. One crew does heat/air installation, another crew does plumbing, and another crew does heat/air repair. Our electrician moved.

Nope, I have to use my heat/air guy. He installed both units a few years ago, and said warranty is void if anyone touches it. Company will not void it I bet, but I will do what I have to so he is happy.

• DavidR
    4 years ago

"I will do what I have to so he is happy."

I realize that you're remote there and it's hard to get people out, but good grief, isn't that why you pay him?

Peke thanked DavidR
  • PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    4 years ago

He installed both units a few years ago, and said warranty is void if anyone touches it.

What kind of warranty is it? Does it include both parts and labor?

If it's just a part warranty from the manufacturer I don't know of any way he could void the warranty other than to refuse you service. So with limited service providers in the area you're in a not so comfortable place.

But that part warranty from the manufacturer any licensed contractor can fulfill it. Obviously that won't mean much if the trip is a 2 hour one way trip. A part warranty is virtually worthless with a 2 hour 1 way trip.

Travel time can kill any warranty you think you might have really quick.

If it's also covered by an extended warranty of some kind that covers labor -- those usually are company specific type contracts. There's often times requirements like annual maintenance requirements to keep them in force.

I've done jobs further out than I normally would... but I've refused far more than I've done... travel time is a killer.

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

He doesn't charge me for the service calls.

Yes, we found that out when we bought an American Range double oven. No one wanted to repair it. First, too heavy, and second, they didn't get paid much for warranty work. But, they should not agree to do the warranty work if they thought they were being underpaid.

• Peke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Update: We could not get the A/C, heater, or fan to turn on upstairs AFTER it was repaired. It was a bad fuse. They came to fix it, and told me that the "cracked" part still needed to be ordered. The owner told me that they had fixed it. So, I have A/C, but no heater. We had already installed the drywall since then owner told me the problem was solved. They are going to regret not fixing it while the ceiling drywall was gone. They have to crawl on their bellies to fix it now.

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    3 years ago

Thanks for the update... doesn't sound like a good situation.

Prime reason I do all of my own installations. So much easier that way...

Deal with one guy and put her to bed, the first time.

(Peke, I know you probably don't have the option to do it this way because of how far out you live.)

I service the Katy, Texas area.

• Peke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I agree. The owner of the company uses one guy for installation and one guy for repair, but evidently neither one can get the owner to order the part.