SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allisoncl

what to do with new patio carved out of a hillside?

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Everyone,

We live on the side of a hill just south of San Francisco. We recently added retaining walls to our backyard and had the corresponding patio leveled. We were so excited to have some flat space! Then along came coronavirus and spring rains and now we have a flat, muddy area and nothing else. Now what?

I need some inspiration. Above the patio, we have a deck just off our kitchen. Our BBQ, patio furniture, and small table are all up there so we don’t need to make room for that on the patio.

I would like some gardening space, but not sure how to lay things out.

Also, we have a 3-year old and a 6-year old. We are close to the local park so we always used to just take them there. Accordingly, when we started the project, I wasn’t planning on adding anything for them specifically. But of course I am rethinking that now that all parks are closed and the pandemic might go on for awhile. I would like to avoid putting in something that the boys will rapidly get tired of. Parents, what backyard items have you added that have retained kids’ interest for more than a year or two?

Where should paths and plants go? The shape of the patio is odd so I can’t figure out how to lay things out. I am thinking a path along the side of the koi pond, but not really sure what else to add.

My 6-year old is terribly allergic to grass so none of that. He loves orange flowers. And the deck and bedrooms above all have a birds' eye view of the patio so something that looks good from above is important because the patio will be enjoyed most often from above.

Comments (2)