SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mugdhagadkari

Living Room Arrangement

Meg G
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello folks,

I need some advice from the wonderful Houzz community. My living room is fairly large (20 x 20) and currently I have it set up as in the photo. I was wondering if there is a way to utilize the space better. The angle from where the photo is taken is the main entrance to the house and windows to the left of the door. Should I move the TV to another wall and change the orientation? What else can I add to the space? And advice appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Comments (73)

• Meg G
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks a lot everyone ... let me try to rearrange this evening after I finish my work with the pieces I have to see the outcome.. I’ll post pictures. I’ll adjust the length of the drapery rod .. the drapes were hitting the base of the lamp in yesterday’s picture on one side and looked bunched up...so I will move it out of the way.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Looking forward to seeing Option 1. Do you have "sliders". Lowes have them and Amazon. They come in ones for hardwood or tile surfaces and some that "slide" over carpet.

• Related Discussions

Living room arrangement

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi there! I have a very similar living room and am in the same predicament! I think I want a sectional but I am super curious if you dont mind posting a picture of the furniture you decided on? Here is my living room, its not finished yet, still needs new trim and lighting..... Thanks for your help!
    ...See More

Living Room Arrangement Help

Q

Comments (10)
    Morgan, that looks so nice. How do you feel about it? I'm sure it's the angle, but I might bring the chair on the left a little further into the room. Same angle, but put the back chair leg even with the front of the hearth tile and have the other chair equally into the room. Can the sectional move toward the fireplace a little more, or will the art on the wall then be of center. Just trying to cozy up the conversation area. Any thoughts to the suggestion of moving the TV to the wall the sectional used to be on?
    ...See More

New house living room arrangement

Q

Comments (1)
    For some reason the plans didnt attach. here they are
    ...See More

Historic House-Quirky Living Room Arrangement

Q

Comments (10)
    Gorgeous house. Congrats. I would place a long sofa under the windows that are across from the fireplace. Then float two arm chairs across from that with their backs towards the fireplace. Perhaps their placement can be such that when sitting on the sofa, the fireplace looks centered between the two chairs. Not sure if I would angle the chairs in or have them with their backs simply flat to the fireplace wall. I'd get a rug to place under these seating items to clearly delineate the space. And, I'd consider what to do about the light fixture that seems to be hanging in no-man's land. This set up would allow for a clear and understandable "runway" of walking space between your front door and bedroom, and front door and entry to dining room. With your great eclectic taste, you can style the fireplace, have it still be a beautiful feature, and also have a sensible walking path and seating area.
    ...See More
  • Meg G
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Flo, I don’t :( .. I think I’ll have to try to lift the stuff .. 😐

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Don’t hurt your back! Lowes has these probably HD too. Do be careful.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

following

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Awesome job!! I thought your chairs were larger so that works great! Drapes look much better. Watching TV will be so much better. At some point, it would be great to lower the art. Should be about 4-6” above top of back of sofa. Some other tweaks but see how this works for now. You need a rest! Oh and a medal! Transformative.

Meg G thanked Flo Mangan
  • Meg G
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks a lot! Please do let me know if you do think of tweaks. Thanks again everyone for all the inputs and discussion.

• eveuchan
    4 years ago

That arrangement looks so much better. Good job!

Meg G thanked eveuchan
  • RedRyder
    4 years ago

Wow. SOOO much better.

Meg G thanked RedRyder
  • Tiffany T
    4 years ago

Great job! The changes are perfect.

Meg G thanked Tiffany T
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Ok. Morning. Hope you aren’t too sore today from all that work yesterday. Tweaks: Replace artificial tree with a bolder live plant if possible. Fiddle Figs are very hardy, and make a beautiful statement in a room. Remove the art near faux plant. Let’s see if we can use in a grouping over the piece along entry wall. I need to see your family pictures. I see one leaning on big box near sofa. Are there others? Of course, when possible get coffee table that is large enough for everyone seated to reach. And consider a larger more interesting rug. And move branch art down as previously discussed. We might want to consider some floating shelves either side of TV. Not sure about that yet.

Meg G thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Here is how a Fiddle Fig would look. There are very nice artificial ones too but you have to be really picky and they can cost more than real deal. Also note the layering of art on the mantel. Might work for in your room. TBD.

Meg G thanked Flo Mangan
  • katinparadise
    4 years ago

Wow-it looks fantastic! The space feels cohesive and comfortable. Great job!

Meg G thanked katinparadise
  • Meg G
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi, Thanks everyone! @ Flo..Thanks for the suggestions...I'll take off that painting and see how it looks. I have a few other painting that I have done and see which one might look better in the space. Will take some pics later today. Thanks a lot again. I am weary of real trees in the house because I travel often and worry I will kill them..All of my trees and plants are in the yard with timer watering :).

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I understand. In my Corporate career I traveled a lot! The Fiddle Fig I had flourished! Lol. Most people overwater. You paint? Can’t wait to see your pieces. Getting excited about a “gallery” wall! Just put all pieces on the wood floor and take as good a straight on photo as you can. I can take that and cut and paste a look for you. TIP: high ceilings often cause people to think they need to decorate higher than sight level. They don’t. Some exceptions but generally keep art at 60-63 to center of art from floor except over furniture. 😉

• Meg G
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Meanwhile here’s option 2 for a perspective... please still ignore the branch art location.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

That looks good too!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

With the smaller chairs I like this arrangement too. Coffee table remains an issue. Is there room to access from both sides of sofa? Doing good. Which do you like best? Both seem to work so personal choice.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Less is more!

Meg G thanked Flo Mangan
  • Meg G
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi, I think we can alternate between the two options.. for now will keep Option 2 since my husband prefers a couch in front of the TV. Will look into coffee table options..
    Here are some landscape paintings I have..

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

looks good Meg. try lowering the branch art to 5" above the back of sofa, and centering it. It will look much better

I really like that layout and your decor. the only negative I have is all of the little family photos. 2-3 are ok, but then it starts to look cluttered, especially on side table. put them in an album and put that on the table.

try an find a plug that will accommodate your other plugs (instead of trying to reach the outlet). I have one and can hide it under the sofa.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Yes Beth we have discussed the lowering and a potential gallery wall to display certain pieces of art and family photos. Working on it.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

yes, sorry. I mentioned way back up top in my first comment. just wanted to show her a photo shop of it.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Np. Here is possible look for over your cabinet. The concept is to organize pictures and photos into a gallery rather than spread about. They will create a much better overall look. Try figuring out which pieces of art works best and group like colors into the vignette.

• Meg G
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks a lot Beth.. in the interest of my marriage I have postponed the art moving project to next weekend 😄

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I totally understand. The branch art is tricky too. Several panels and leveling are rough to accomplish. Pretty piece though and it is lovely in your room.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Clear off cabinet on entry wall and take a picture straight on. That way we can help do gallery type layouts for you. Beth’s suggestion of getting some photos into an album is a great way to preserve photos too. Just get pages that are acid free. Etc.

• Meg G
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Flo.. you are too kind. Here is the cabinet and one of the paintings for size reference.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Take picture off and stand further back so I get more wall in. Including height.

• Meg G
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sure.. will this work?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

that's a pretty frame w/that console. but I do think it's a bit too small. Ideally the art should be 2/3rds the size of what's below. (and since you have a very open wall, even more so)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

The concept would be to hang a grouping in a pleasing arrangement. The curio needs a different home. But I will look for how to utilize this space. Bbl

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Here are some examples. The “area” above cabinet can be as big or small as you want.

• dsimber
    4 years ago

Great gallery walls. Here’s one I saw and saved today while reading. You may want to check this out for tips. https://www.tlcinteriors.com.au/howto-decorate/mixing-art-gallery-walls/ 

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Just for fun. Some art, some family photos and accessories along with distinctive floor lamp in corner.

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

Are you planning to use that console as your bar?

If you decide to go with the gallery wall, if you cut out pieces of paper the size of the art then you can tape them on the wall and arrange until you have a layout you like before you start putting holes in the wall. I'm wondering if the viewing view of the TV would be better if it was hung on the wall?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

A flat screen TV would be great. There are Utube videos that also show how to hang gallery type arrangements. Depends on size of your pieces and content to get right mix and layout. Some tricks that getting a great look. Asymmetrical or symmetrical? What are you thinking? I would pick your favorite piece first and make it the focal point and work around that. Line up either bottom edge or top edge of any row for cohesive look in either style.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

One more trick. Use this type wall hanger. Very thin nail hole easy to fix later. Use smallest size for picture weight you can.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

This kind

• Meg G
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi good morning, @tedbixby @Flo Mangan Yes, I plan to use it as a bar... I agree with the flat screen TV suggestion .. At some point we plan to get a flat screen there, get rid of the table below and put in something sleeker there .. I like the idea of a modern furnace since we don’t have a fireplace.

Let me spend some time thinking over the art situation over that console ands let you guys know. Will check out you tube.. Your suggestion looks great Flo, however the smaller pictures are not the same sizes and the house one is actually much bigger. I think I prefer symmetry but let me look at options... Thanks for the nail suggestions.. that’s what we have used for hanging all art work around the house. They are really convenient!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Yes, I realize the art is dimensions I didn’t have. Just concept. I see you have many photos and pictures, so you will have to pick and chose what works best. The hardest part is eliminating ones you love but don’t work. Here is a living room I completed with a ventless fireplace late last year. It is really great. It has remote control and you can change colors and looks. The flat screen TV is designed so you can choose pictures or download your own photos so when TV isn’t on it isn’t black hole but pretty or enjoyable picture.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I have a better photo of the fireplace but have to hunt it up. We bought it from Wayfair I believe. Bbl

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Here it is. I also designed custom floating shelves for this overall look. You could do floating shelves ready made for less. The problem is they typically aren’t think enough for a large setting.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Here it is on Wayfair.

• Meg G
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Flo.. your room looks fabulous. Thanks for the tips. Will think through all the great suggestions.

• Meg G
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi folks, I went with a single painting on the console and adjusted the painting over the sofa. I am thinking of doing a photo gallery wall on another wall next to the dining table some day... Thanks a lot for all the suggestions.

• Meg G
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Valinta
    4 years ago

I personally find gallery walls distracting unless there is some cohesiveness of theme, framing, number and scale of pieces and painting vs print vs photography. Plan what and how you want to incorporate your ideal pieces and layout variations on the floor , then photograph each “collection” for comparison, making adjustments until pleasing to the eye.

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

Looks good!