SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_619948174

Winter Weed Explosion

Rex Leone
4 years ago

2kft2 common bermuda lawn in Phoenix. Didn't plant rye grass last fall. Big mistake that won't be repeated. Winter weeds staged a coup d'etat, and it is time to put down this insurrection. Pictures are from last weekend. They are an order of magnitude worse this weekend. I started pulling them, and created large piles of pulled weeds but seeing limited progress and figure it would take several more weekends of pulling to extricate the interlopers from my lawn. Do I keep pulling? Just try and mow them low into submission? Spray Roundup? Spray Bayer Weed Killer for lawns? That is labeled for two applications per season, and I would have to believe it would take more than two applications. I identified poa annua and sorrell. Bayer supposed to work on the sorrell but not the poa. Not sure what to do about the poa. Supposedly Phoenix heat will kill it, but all that seed is there and we'll be providing it optimal conditions in the fall when we plant rye. Will putting down pre-emergent now interfere with planting rye in October?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting