SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

Dollhouse update (and could use some ideas...)

jojoco
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Remember the dollhouse I was given recently? I thought it would be a great quarantine project. It looked neat right from the start, but I knew I wanted to rehab it. It was made in the 80's and has seen a bunch of decor changes over the decades (as in layers of wallpaper and different exterior colors.)

Here was it after I brought it home:

In the past week or so, I've taken off layers of paint and wallpaper (to the best of my ability--even with stripper, 40+ year old wallpaper does not want to come off.) I've repaired holes and divets, and removed the front porch. I know some of you really liked the front porch, but it felt very 70's to me with the skinny spindles. I'm a New Englander at heart and like the more classic lines of a traditional colonial. The porch roof also had a corner that was crumbling between the plywood layers. I also took out the fireplace as it was not what I had in mind and it was hard to get the paper off around it. Every surface has now been primed with Kiltz primer.

Here is where I am now:

Here is the interior. The shot is weird--the walls and floors are all level. The walls still have some, ah, texture on them from wall paper remnants, but I'm living with it. Perfection went out when the quarantine arrived.. Putting up new wallpaper isn't a great option due to all the windows that I would have to deal with. (I guess most people smartly wall paper before the walls go up.) The walls were taken out to prep, but they can slide back in.

Here is the fireplace I ordered, it is about the same size as the original.

I have ordered this front door and matching window pediments:

The window pediments match the top of the door. They may or may not work as this dollhouse was handmade and the scale is not industry standard, unfortunately.

I need exterior color ideas. And door colors. And roof ideas. And interior colors. I'm thinking of poly coating two of the floors because I think the plywood flooring is kind of cool. I am not going to furnish this, at least not yet. I just want room colors and flooring done. My goal is to make it look warm and inviting on the exterior and put it on a dresser in one of our guest rooms. (great idea kswl)

Anyone bored and want to play?

Ideas?

Thanks!

Comments (42)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus