An inane question - origin or meaning of your user name?

Elmer J Fudd

I must be bored today.

The question is - what's the source of your user name? Some are obvious, some not.

I'll start. Mine's obvious. I've always used favorite cartoon characters for anonymous names. One of my favorite characters from childhood is Snidely Whiplash. Unfortunately, some of the more snotty who were participants at one time found childish glee from misusing/abusing the name. So I switched it to Elmer J Fudd, a lesser favorite but still a favorite with fewer handholds for the snot-mongers to grab.

That's my story - what's your story?

SaveComment107Like3
Comments (107)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lindsey_CA

My username is a name that means something to me.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Elmer J Fudd
pudgeder

Mine was my beloved doxies nick name.

sephia_wa

Mine is a car I drove eons ago, plus my state. Good question. I've often wondered what people's user names mean.

Save     Thanked by Elmer J Fudd
amylou321

Mine is one of many nicknames I have accumulated in my life. I have many,many nicknames that I answer to. A play on my real name. Not sure why I picked THAT particular nickname when I set up my account here,but that's the story. The 321 was added at gardenwebs insistence,if I recall correctly.

morz8

My 'mor' is an old, old nickname that no one I currently spend time with ever uses. I really didn't put a lot of thought into it 18 years ago or so. I wanted to add to a gardening discussion and joined to be able to post. I even had a paid membership back in those days to take advantage of the computer help and a couple of others that were locked to unpaid users. Thank you Raven, you were always helpful there. And Pooh Bear, miss him. Sigh, old Spike days. Sometimes I miss him too.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by Elmer J Fudd
Lukki Irish

I’ve had this name on various platforms for over 20 years now. My original thought was the normal Lucky Irish but it along with several other ways to spell it were taken. Eventually I came up with this spelling and it’s stuck.

Olychick

Mine is kind of obvious.. I live in Olympia WA and I'm female. I used "chick" as a feminist claim on a name used to disparage women by men. (I'm not interested in debating with anyone about that statement).

I've thought of changing it sometimes - every time someone calls me Oily!

Bookwoman

I work with rare books.

bpath reads banned books too

I love a path, through a pine wood, a grassy meadow, or a linden allee.

patriceny

My name is Patrice and I live in N.Y.

I'm not very imaginative.

Texas_Gem

I used the same name I created my blog under. I stopped blogging a while back but still use the screen name.

I'm from Texas and I'm just a gem! ;)

foggyj2

As an X-ray student, I accidentally fogged a bin of x-ray film, by opening it in the light. "Foggy" became the name everyone called me, after that incident.

HU-629454853

I was soxxxx for a long time . My son had a dog named SOX . I added 3 more x's. I could not get that name when Houzz took over. I think it was because I had changed from Earth Link to Google.

norsetex

I'm half Norwegian on my mom's side. That's the heritage I've known most about , food , celebrations...and i've lived in Texas most of my life.

marcopolo5

I have always been a big time shopper, in search of a great buy. Friends and family have always called me marcopolo.

daisychain01

When I started on GW, I was "budge" after a nickname for our eldest DD. There was a time when everything went haywire on GW and I (and a lot of others) got locked out and had to create a new account. I could have just added more numbers to budge, but opted for something less stodgey.

stacey_mb

The MB is for the province in which I live and I created Stacey as a shortened form of Anastasia, a favorite name. I don't know anyone with the name but read about the doomed daughter of the last Czar of Russia and liked the way it sounded.

ETA: Not an inane question at all - it's very interesting to read the responses!

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Elmer J Fudd
Chi

I started participating at these forums when I was in college in Chicago!

Kathsgrdn

Mine is pretty obvious, came to the Garden web around 2000 to learn about gardening. First part is part of my real name, second is shortened word "garden".

provogal

While I live in Ontario, for 30 years we have owned a condo on the island of Provodenciales (Provo) in the Turks and Caicos Islands where we love to go as often as possible.

ci_lantro

My favorite herb. If I had known that a lot of people can't stand the taste, I probably would have picked my second favorite herb, tarragon. But there are probably a lot of people who hate the taste of that one too. :-(

I do feel really, really sad for the people who can't enjoy cilantro. Truly.

ETA--I can't abide the taste of cumin beyond just a pinch. Curry, not at all. So I missed the both on those.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Elmer J Fudd
maifleur03

Mine just happened. I was interested in peonies and needed a name to ask questions. Through the change during the haywire I had to add the numbers. I had to add a number this time because houzz would not allow me to sign back in because apparently the old password was not in the format that is currently accepted. Nor did it like the .NET that is my email address to update my password.

cooper8828

Cooper was a beloved dog. The numbers don't mean anything at all.

OklaMoni

I have used giantcycle99 in one way or another for a long long time... :) actually since 1999. Then I moved to Tahlequah, and became Tahlequahgardens... but that was long. When I had to pay again (under Spikes rules) I came up with OklaMoni... and it stuck.

Yes, I live in Oklahoma (the state), Oklahoma (the county) and lets take it further... in Oklahoma City.

:)

Moni

eld6161

I used to use my first name combined with the first two letters of my last name.

At work there is another woman with my name so I became first name with my last name initial.

i realized that this might ring a bell when said aloud. Far fetched but you never know.

I don’t have a middle name and always wanted one. My new screen name is two letters from my first name and the first from my last. 61 is my house number.

matti5

I have had the same username since 2003. Each letter represents a family member's first name, some that had passed.

Hot Rod

Mine is from a nickname I was given by a young cousin when I got my first sports car.

Annie Deighnaugh

Many of you know already, but in case you don't, my screen name is a pun. And Annie reminds me of my paternal grandmother whose name was Anna.

Rose Pekelnicky

Mine used to be Rose-PA because I live in Pennsylvania. When Houzz took over I couldn't get in with it so I gave up and chose to sign in with Facebook. Now it's my real name

blfenton

First letters of two names and then Fenton glass - one day I will get around to buying a piece.

I'm one of those who had to come up with a new name a few years ago.

marylmi

Mine is my first name and the first letter of my last name plus mi for Michigan. Nothing too exciting! :-)

katlan

I used to be Kathy-Pa for years but couldn't get the same name when Houzz too over sooooo, first 3 letters of my first and last name. Not very creative I know, oh well.

pekemom

I have a pekingese so I am his (not biological) mom. His real mom goes by a different name......

chessey35

I used to live on the Chesapeake Bay

samkarenorkaren

Sam is the name I used when I was a dj. We weren't allowed to use our real name on the air. It stood for my show "Seventies And More"

I added my real name to it when I got to KT and i became...

SamKaren Your resident dj

georgysmom2

I started a thread like this a number of years ago but we have so many new members, it's fun to do again. I remember several of them....love jasdip's but I'll let them answer for themselves. Georgy Girl is my goldendoodle. She was bred in Athens, Georgia and one day while waiting for her, Georgy Girl was playing on the radio thus her name,

murraysmom Zone 6a OH

Murray was my dog (RIP).

liira55

Mine is Italian money with an extra i and 55 was my age when Houzz took over and I couldn’t log in with my old user name Liira39.

Elmer J Fudd

Yes, georgysmom, of course. They don't pay me enough here for original ideas. A song was written about this very matter. Wait for the refrain if you don't know the song:

1 Like Save    
seniorgal

It must have been more than 15 years ago that I joined this forum. I felt that I was older than most--hence Seniorgal. Now that I am approaching 98 it still holds true.

23 Likes Save     Thanked by Elmer J Fudd
Fun2BHere

My name expresses my feeling about life and this forum (most of the time). I'm enjoying reading the responses, @Elmer J Fudd. Thanks for starting the thread.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Elmer J Fudd
Ladydi Zone 7A NW BC Canada

I worked with several trade departments at a College and the male instructors could never get my name straight (Dianne, Diana, Deanna ... you get the picture). One guy who was instructing the Millwright program started calling me LadyDi as a nickname and soon that's what everyone called me. It was kind of sweet 😊.

wildchild2x2

I was banned from via being rat-packed at Hot Topics when the radical leftists had the admin of Gardenweb in their pocket. Back in the day it was easy for them to bait bait bait and then report report report when one responded to the bullies. They pretty much cleared the site of anyone who stood up to them. So when I decided to come back I changed my username. I have always been pretty independent when it came to not following the herd. So for much of my life when someone said "you can't do that" my response would be "watch me" or "but I just did". Watchme looked better as a username so I went with that. But the name was already taken so I added thee LOL which I don't care for all that much. I am thinking of going back to my original name. Just had my birthday and I can do what I want. Watch me! LOL

6 Likes Save     Thanked by Elmer J Fudd
ratherbesewing

I think mine is pretty obvious. Sewing is my happy place!

wildchild2x2

I is back. Watchme is now once again Wildchild. Just had my BD and now I am resurrected. I had to add the 2x2 because they claimed the username was taken even thought it was always mine.

Story behind wildchild. I always had a "real" nickname I was known by going way back to age 12. But when I was in my later teens there was this bar I used to go to. Everyone knew me by my nickname but one of the "older" guys would always greet me by turning around and saying "what's the deal, Wildchild?" He always had my back. He was a feisty dude but always treated me with kindness and respect. So when I first started to use computers and get on the net I tried to find usernames that would leave me pretty incognito. When i came here his name popped into my head and I thought that'll work. The 2x2 was my derby car. I wanted 22 but it was taken so I entered under 2x2 instead. Looked better than 22x.

maddiemo

It was a mad moment me going on Hot Topics. It also seemed like there were quite a lot of people getting mad in the moment.

I just made it into a sort of name.

Elizabeth

Mine is totally fictitious. It's just two names I always liked.

laceyvail 6A, WV

Lacey is an traditional man's name in these parts, and Vail was a family name in my ex husband's family. Many, many years ago, when I was pregnant I floated Lacey for the baby if he was a boy ( you didn't know then, you had to wait and see) and he floated Vail. So, many years later, Laceyvail--and hence the spelling. (The boy was named something entirely different and he'll be 45 this year)

Annie Deighnaugh

Ha maddiemo! I always assumed from your name that you were from Missouri!

maddiemo

Close, the U.K :)))

LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

My name is Jack and the closest town to where I live is Lone Jack.

A tidbit of trivia...Lone Jack was mentioned in True Grit. In their journey to hunt down Tom Chaney and Ned Pepper, Rooster Cogburn tells Mattie Ross that he lost his eye in the Battle of Lone Jack during the Civil War. There is a small Civil War museum in town that commemorates the battle.

hounds_x_two

When I chose my username, I had two Greyhounds. Decided to keep the name, in their memory, after they crossed the Rainbow Bridge. Whoa! That was a little more than ten years ago! No more Greyhounds, but I do have two sweet “mystery blend” dogs who bring me joy.

marilyn_c

My dad named me Marilyn. I married a Collins. My name is Marilyn Collins. So Marilyn C. However, I think at the time we had a shrimp boat named Marilyn C and I think that might be why I used it...has been so long I can't really remember. I also have used byugal. Bayou Gal. I got that idea when we moved to the bayou and I saw a personalized license plate byoboy. Some people pronounce bayou as "by u" and some people call it "by yo". "By u" is more popular in Louisiana and more people in Texas say "by yo".

graywings123

Mine is from my African Grey parrot.

socks

Socks was the Shetland sheepdog my kids grew up with, long gone now. I like hand knit socks too but haven’t knit in quite a few years. I might start today.😊

nickel_kg

My first username here was nothing because I lurked for years and years. "Nickel" came about because for a while there, it seemed all my favorite bands had a "Nick" in them. Who were they ... the only two I can list off the top of my head now are Nick Lowe (of course) and Nick Jago (BMRC). Gee thanks Elmer, now I'll be bothered all day trying to remember who all the other Nicks were! -- better than fretting about the virus.

The _kg is from the county I used to live in.

OutsidePlaying

Mine is obvious. Since childhood I have always preferred outdoor activities and was somewhat a tomboy when I was growing up. Not much opportunity for girls in athletics in those days, but it was still fun. We took our kids camping, skiing, hiking, fishing, and just about anything else you can think of. DH and I are still active in our early 70’s, hiking, visiting National Parks, and doing outdoor things when we can.

Jasdip

I love these threads!!! There are so many new people here it's nice to hear their stories.

Wildchild, I didn't know that you are WatchmeLOL!!!!! I've thought about you periodically (as wildchild). hah, now I know you never left!!!

Most everybody except for anyone new knows how my name came about.... lol Georgysmom :-)

It's an acronym....Just Another Sh*tty Day in Paradise

9 Likes Save     Thanked by Elmer J Fudd
ritaweeda

I first discovered this site when I was looking for information concerning Florida gardening. It was quite some time before I realized that there were other subject forums such as quilting and this one. So initially, since I was involved in a lot of gardening, especially weeding - the last part of my nickname involved a combination of what I was into at that time and what I was into way back when I was much younger, stupider, and had no responsibilities, I'll let you guess on that one.

dedtired

The first time I signed up for a chat room I was at my office. It was after five and I was too tired to get up and go home. I decided to try out a newfangled chat room, but I had to sign up. I asked myself “what do you feel like?” and my username is the answer. I carried it forward after that for lack of a better idea. I’d really like to change it but then no one would know me.

Uptown Gal

Given to me as a "sounds like" because I loved the Billy Joel song so much... years

ago, actually. I don't remember my original user

name for this forum. ;)

Yayagal

When my toddler niece couldn't say my name and called me Yaya, years later I joined a chat room and added gal to it so there you go. I'm a great grandmother now and called Yaya by my 3-year-old great-grand.

Amazing Aunt Audrey

I was given the name Amazing Aunt Audrey about 50 years ago by a bunch of friends and family. I got the name for always having whatever someone needed or had the answer to a question or problem. I proved this hundreds of times lol.

7 Likes Save     Thanked by Elmer J Fudd
shirl36

My name is Shirley. When my younger brother (7yrs) began to talk he could not say Shirley, it was shoe-shoe, later morphing into Shirl. And Shirl it was forever. I use it often in remembering him.

functionthenlook

I fell across this site when we moved from a colonial style home to a mid 70s quad level home in 2014 and looking on the the internet about 70s homes. My decorating philosophy in order of importance: Function, Low mantaince, Ease of cleaning, Durability , then looks.

chisue

I'm called Sue and I've lived all my 79 years in suburbs outside of Chicago. I only lived IN the city for a few months at the end of WWII, but we went into the city often.

While we were in that apartment I remember being taken to a playground behind two giant billboards that faced Michigan Ave. The Palmolive beacon swept my bedroom walls.

A friendly gentleman greeted my mother and me one day as we left First Pres. He said he missed his little girl, Margaret. President Truman was just walking along the avenue, enjoying a sunny day -- any guards were invisible.

jupidupi

I had a cat named Jupiter and among her nicknames was Jupidupi. She's long gone, so the name was up for grabs.

OutsidePlaying

Oh Jasdip, I love that!

amicus

I was originally called pickyshopper, for any of you who've been on this forum for a while, as I tend to do a lot of flyer or website comparison shopping, before I buy. But when Houzz took over, and I tried to re-enter, it wouldn't let me, with that name. So I changed it to 'Amicus' which I recall from Latin class, way back in '73, means 'friend.'

pegasus101

I received my nickname in elementary school when reading David Copperfield. I don't know how people got Pegasus from Peggotty but they did and some people still use it today.

kathyg_in_mi

Just my name and my state!

ladypat1

My first name and wanted to be known that I was female. Too much teasing at one time about the Saturday nite Live Pat. And about then, I started wearing lots of earrings due to that teasing. LOL

mama goose_gw zn6OH

Mine is connected to a nickname my youngest gave herself, which I chose for my first email account. When I joined GW, I thought it was just to ask a question, then I'd be gone. I chose the same name as my email, so it would be easy to remember, and I added my zone/location for the garden forums. I didn't realize I'd become a regular, but here I am. I added the 'gw' when Houzz took over.

The original nickname came from the Canada geese which were in abundance when we first moved into our house in the early 90's. Since then the coyotes moved in and the geese have disappeared--now I see them only as they fly over during migration.

C Marlin

Mine is the name of my street I lived on when I joined the Garden Web. C is abbreviation for Calle.

breenthumb

Mine is pretty obvious too, I guess. Combination of brown & green thumb. I lived on the garden side of the forums for years, mostly houseplants and succulents. Then discovered the Computer Forum and this whole, wonderful other side!

dee_can1

Mine used to be just Dee I think, then Spike sold the forum (or something like that) and it became dee_can. First initial of my name and I'm from Canada.

patriciae_gw

When I joined GW in the late 90's and had to give myself a name I had no idea you were supposed to have an alias. My name is Patricia and it is amazingly common and other Patricias had already scored my name so I tried various bits of initials, all taken so I started at the beginning of the alphabet and hit pay dirt with E. It had the merit of making my name sound scientific and my background was Botany. So I used it. Since Patricia is such a common name I don't suppose it gives much away about me. It is a name I am not fond of but I am very much less fond of any of its shorter forms and that is a problem. Don't call me Pat. I am sorry it is long. I did figure out when Houzz told me my name was taken that it was me that had taken it but their system was too dumb to figure that out so I added gw to remake it. I tried to change my name a long while back to Chloris which is a favorite Alba rose but could never get it to go through. Too late to fuss with now.

yeonassky

My user name is a family nickname plus a part of my last name.

When Houzz took over and I wasn't allowed to use it the way I had written it before I added an s after the Yeona part. Suddenly that word became Yeonas sky. I guess that means I kind of lay claim to the sky that's over my head anyway. :)

My nickname means dove and that's what my family constantly needs as they find things to fight over all the time. There are five very head strong women in my family including me. But I like peace and don't need to be right all the time...

martinca_gw sunset zone 24

About ten or so years ago, my gw name felt too personal ( granddaughter’s names). Thought my new one was self explanatory . Ha! Silly me, instead of being marti n ca. , I became to many, Martin. Uh, nope, but it’s good ‘nuff. Sometimes I sign off “marti” if a thread refers to me as Martin. Neat thread, Elmer.

Lars

I've only heard bayou pronounced by-you in Houston when I lived there, and so that's how I've always pronounced it. But there are a lot of people from Louisiana in Houston.

I use the name Lars because that's what people call me, and not many people are named Lars in the U.S. In northern Europe (especially Germany and Scandinavia) it is a fairly common name.

My user name is Publick Man, which is what I used for my web design company. For other design work, I used the name Lars Theoderik Design, or LTD. When I did fashion design in San Francisco, I sometimes used the name Publick Rage, at least until I joined Luke Fiori. The "Man" part comes from my brother's Yahoo name, Manley Childe, and we shortened it to "Man". "Publick" was my way of making it sound old English and have a more unique spelling.

ghoghunter

When I joined Gardenweb I was deep into trapping groundhogs because they were destroying my garden. That's how I came up with my usename!

chloebud

Our cat was Chloe and our dog was Buddy = chloebud. Miss them both.

PattiG(rose)

PattiG(rose), because I couldn't be more creative and think of anything else. Rose for my mom.

blubird

My name was originally our CB handle. We used to travel to Florida by car to visit relatives. We acquired the CB radio well before the age of cell phones to learn about traffic and weather ahead. We decided to be Bluebird Mobile because we drove a blue car and had a blue parakeet. When I signed up for my desired email name, bluEbird was taken, so I became Blubird.

katlan

When I first came here years ago I was Kathy-PA. I also couldn't keep the same name when Houzz took over. So, I became katlan. First 3 letters of my first and last name.

rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

rhizo is a shortened name for rhizosphere, a soils science term for the busy little area just adjacent to the hard working root hairs within a root system. I suspect I was preparing to speak on the subject or had written an article about it when I decided to stop using my real name as we all did in the old Gardenweb days.

It's a geeky name, I know, but it reminds me of a much loved career.

tvq1

TVQ = The Vacation Queen. Long story............................

breenthumb

yeonasky, I've wondered about your name. Having married into DH's family 50+ yrs ago, I always read the name of one of my sisters other contacts as Infanitesky. Familiar sounding. Until she told me, one day, the gal wanted to change providers but would lose her user name Infinite Sky. Seems you discovered the same :-}

lisa_fla

I used to be Lisa -Ga. then I moved to Florida and was Lisa -FLA. I didn’t need numbers. I wish I thought of a catchier name to begin with! These names are interesting.

dees_1

Long time user...when I signed up in 95 or so, my lack of creativity kicked in. First name, last initial.

natesg

I started out as NatesGram which years later got shortened when GW changed. Nate is my first grandson who at 10 weeks of age was in a head-on collision by a drugged driver. Now a severely special needs 18 year old, he is a great joy in my life.

9 Likes Save     Thanked by Elmer J Fudd
Cherryfizz

I purchased a Webtv in 1998 and the first day I got it my brother was helping me find some information about taking care of someone with Alzheimer's and we happened upon Homesite where we found the Caregiving Forum. After reading I decided to join because I had been caring for my Mom with Alzheimer's at home for quite a few years and as she worsened I was looking for some support. I needed a user name and I had no clue what to use haha. Later on that evening I was sitting on the couch eating a bowl of cherries and drinking cream soda and the name Cherryfizz came to me. I never knew at the time there was a drink by that name. Later I saw there was another cherryfizz on the internet but she definitely wasn't me and I was worried other people might think she was haha.

jemdandy

On occasion, I facet gem stones as a hobby. My initials are JEM. I added dandy to make jemdandy as a nod to my hobby and a snarky moniker. In real life, I am definitely not a dandy.

Below is a sample of what I do. The first photo is a topside (crown) view and the second is bottom-side (pavilion). It is cut in natural amethyst and the stone had variation in color. It was not treated in any way. I designed this 9 sided stone; The usual cut is 8 sides. I know some folks with whom the number 9 has significance.

13 Likes Save     Thanked by Elmer J Fudd
artemis_ma

I'm in Massachusetts, and Artemis is the Greek form of the Roman Diana - and my legal name is Diane.

I was still living in Connecticut when I found this site, but was building my home here in MA when I found the GW Kitchen Forum.

roxsol

I’m so boring. Mine is just a portion of my first name and last name.

I changed it to roxsolid for a while (Rock Solid) because I thought it made me sound tough and confident. Then I changed it to roxsolidpax. I added pax at the end for peace at Christmas :)

I’ve now gone back to just plain old roxsol.

happy2b…gw

My name- It is reminder to me to seize the moment, keep a positive outlook, and keep the worries and blues away. Happy2be... whatever

chisue

Some of the user names here always make me smile. Two are "OutsidePlaying" and "AlmostGrownUp".

Elmer J Fudd

I'll repeat my thanks to everyone. Maybe not unlike others, I learned that some guesses I'd previously made were wrong, a small number were close, and some were WAY off in the wrong direction. Most I've had no clue about and now I do for some. Some offer an insight into who or what the users are as individuals and others are frivolous like mine is. Interesting no matter what.

Stay well, stay safe and stay home!

4 Likes Save    
Annegriet

Random Name Generator on the Internet.

Elmer J Fudd

I forgot to say, there were some I was hoping to hear from who didn't contribute but that's fine.

Save    
eld6161

Happy2behere, you name reminded me, was there also a Fun2be here?

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Mine is a modification of my business name. Back in the dark ages of time, I had originally joined GardenWeb under a similar name but when AT&T forced us to find another internet provider, I had to change that and add the numbers to differentiate from other members with a very similar screen name. Same with my email addy. Has been the same now since the Millennium :-)

lgmd_gaz

I used to be just "gazania" because I love the plant and it is a 'fun' word to say. Then when Houszz got involved, for some reason I had to reup to the forum. I chose lgmd for the disease that was responsible for the disability I have and added gaz so maybe I would still be recognized by some. However soon after doing that, my disease was reidentified by new available DNA testing. I haven't changed the lgmd part because it seems it would be too much hassle. To be correct I should now be sma3_gaz.

Jasdip

Raven hasn't commented, but we know her well and how she got her name :-)

eld6161

Yes, true

seagrass_gw

I joined GW back when I had to pay and Spike ran the show. My username reflects my Cape Cod bayside residence - when Houzz took over, they added -gw.

happy2b…gw

eld, yes Fun2BHere contributed to this thread on Wednesday.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
5 Questions for Design Stars
Help Your Fellow Houzzers Solve Their Home Design Dilemmas!
Full Story
Most Popular Creative Houzz Users Share Their ‘She Sheds’
Much thought, creativity and love goes into creating small places of your own
Full Story
Decorating Guides 12 Questions Your Interior Designer Should Ask You
The best decorators aren’t dictators — and they’re not mind readers either. To understand your tastes, they need this essential info
Full Story