SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reesepbuttercup

Kitchen layout help, decisions needed ASAP

reesepbuttercup SLC, Utah 6b
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I’m negotiating the purchase of a spec home that’s under construction. Framing just started and the builder seems to be entertaining the idea of changes to the design selections that were decided prior to my involvement.

I need to reduce the price of the house by at least 30K so many of the planned upgrades will have to be removed. I’m fine with much of that. I don’t want to make mistakes with the kitchen layout however, so I am looking for suggestions.

Photograph of the model that has the the two foot dining extension, plus a bunch of other upgrades.

While overall the kitchen is fine, there are perhaps some issue with the layout in terms of traffic flow. Living in the house will be myself along with my two kids and my mother. I foresee a lot of back and forth between the various living areas and that back hallway/laundry/garage. I don’t like the idea of constant traffic behind me at the stove. But, I’m not sure how easy or not it would be to move things around and I like the island without a sink.

Other considerations: The house under construction has a two foot extension at the dining room, so the island will be turned out to the living room like the photographs.

The floor plan calls for one window above the sink with upper cabinets to the side, if it’s not too late (And if I’m not changing the layout) I want to eliminate the uppers and add windows like the photographed model. If I cannot add the windows I still want to eliminate the uppers and add open shelves to the left of the sink

Standard for the house is a free standing range with OTR microwave. It’s on my wish list to swap the OTR microwave for a hood, possibly have a cooktop instead. The cooktop, stainless hood,built in oven and microwave is a $7500 upgrade for GE cafe appliances. I’m not sure where the built in oven/microwave would go though. That, along with a cabinet faced hood is specified, I can live with without the cabinet hood, especially since it is $1,500.

I do know I want to upgrade the island cabinets to heavy duty drawers. I may need to eliminate the soft close feature to save. Built in Cabinet lockers are specified for the alcove in the mud room hallway for 3,000. I don’t know if I should maybe switch to cabinets for more storage, although the pantry is quite large.

Sorry, I’m a bit all over the place. I have a meeting scheduled with the builder to discuss changes and I need to figure out what I’m asking for.

Comments (18)