SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitobsessed

Help! Need to make decision on shape of granite overhang asap!

bluekitobsessed
15 years ago

My island started out as 39 x 60. I do not eat at the island and my kids have never eaten at the island. My KD suggested that we add a 12 inch overhang at the short end (bringing it to 39 x 72); although I don't eat at the island, some future purchaser of the house might. It's a tad narrow for 2 people to sit comfortably, unless they are children or used to flying coach (I can't get the island to 42"). I said, yeah, sure, whatever.

Today the granite guy came to make templates (there's not enough slab! I need to get another slab! grrrr) and we talked about either rounding off 6 inches off the 12 inch overhang, or cutting a 6 inch right triangle (45 degree angle) off each protruding corner. This means that the long edge of the overhang would only be 27."

I have 45 degree whatnot shelves at the end of the cabinets, and my adjacent breakfast nook is a half octagon bump out shape with 45 degree angles, so I like the angled idea best. However, I'd like to hear your votes. And I need to call the granite guy tomorrow AM...not that this is stressing me out....

I'm attaching a link to a pic showing idea #1 (angled corners) in orange, idea #2 (rounded corners) in green, and idea #3 (KD's original plan, the basic rectangle) in blue. Still haven't figured out how to put the pix into the body of a post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic of plan

Comments (6)