SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

March 2020, Week 4

As we start our fourth week of March, the rainfall is backing off a bit despite rainfall overnight, and the temperatures are warming up, so it seems like a good time to get busy planting warm-season crops now assuming you look at your own 7-10 day forecast and are comfortable with whatever overnight lows are shown there. My forecast looks fine and I wouldn't hesitate now to plant, assuming I don't find water puddled below the soil surface when I stick a trowel into the raised beds. I'm hoping this week's warmer temperatures and sunshine help the soil dry out, but must be realistic too---we have been abnormally wet for three months so I'm still going to have to deal with very wet soil for a while. A river of moisture flows underneath my garden from the higher ground next door during prolonged wet weather, so I cannot plant anything at grade level for quite some time yet, not until some of that underground river flows away.

Down here in southern OK, it is time to begin planting sweet corn now. We have to plant early to beat the heat down here so we can get good tip fill on the ears before the summer heat sets in. Once I plant corn (hopefully by the end of this week), then planting bush beans and yellow summer squash will fall into place afterwards. I hope to plant some of my tomato plants into containers today or tomorrow. My only hope of getting a good harvest of yellow summer squash organically is to plant early to beat the squash bugs. Later on, once the squash pests show up, I'll replace the yellow squash with the Korean summer squash varieties that are C. moschata.

The window to complete late plantings of cool season crops is rapidly slamming shut. Technically it is too late to plant them now, but I think late plantings of most cool-season crops could work as long as you get them into the ground or into containers this week. I probably wouldn't plant brassicas this late down here in southern OK, but I've gotten away with planting them very late some years as long as I got them planted by April 1st. Green peas, whether English or edible podded, still might produce a crop if planted this week, but much depends on how early the heat arrives. I'm skipping most cool-season crops this year due to the persistent rainfall and waterlogged soil that have made planting impossible thus far, but hope to at least plant some onions (small onions are better than no onions), lettuce and kale this week. Of course, if it keeps raining heavily like it has been, it won't matter what I plant---the constant moisture and heavily waterlogged soil will make getting a good crop difficult.

It probably is mowing time if you haven't mowed your beautiful collection of lawn grass and winter weeds yet. Well, it is time to mow whenever it is dry enough to mow.

Remember to finish up any pruning chores soon. Prune spring-blooming shrubs and vines as soon as they have completed blooming.

Hummingbirds are showing up in southern OK now, so it is time for us to put up our feeders. I'm going to do that today. They are a little early, but we have had a lot of intermittent warm weather mixed in with cooler weather and trees bloomed early and leafed out early, so the early arrival of hummingbirds is not totally unexpected. One thing I haven't seen yet is the purple martins, and that is odd. They usually are back by now.

I saw aphids on plant transplants at a garden center last weekend, so keep your eyes open for them in your garden. The weather definitely is warm enough for them now.

Watch out for fire ants if you have them in your area. Ours down here are really ticked off by the constant moisture and have climbed up into large containers, raised beds and places they simply don't belong...like inside our tornado shelter and even up onto the porches. I do have some organic fire ant killer to feed those lucky little devils. You know, it is not a good thing when you flee to your hidey hole during a Tornado Warning and find yourself sharing space with a scorpion (quickly killed), spiders (non-venomous, so we ignored them), fire ants and pill bugs. The fire ants are trying to build a nest in the door frame...in the spot where the door slams shut when you close it, so I'll spray that area with orange oil today. The pill bugs were on the interior walls of the tornado shelter. I don't know why. Maybe the ground is too wet for them, but I'm going to vacuum them up with the Shop-Vac today. I would like to have less critter company in the tornado shelter the next time we use it.

That's all from here. What's up with y'all this week? Remember, in the gloom and doom of this viral pandemic, gardening can be very therapeutic. And, as well, with food supply chain interruptions likely to be an ongoing issue for a while, it can only be helpful to grow as much of your own produce as possible.

Oh, and one more thing....don't wait to late to get any more seeds you need. Some seed companies have been overwhelmed with new seed orders the last few weeks and aren't accepting any more online orders as they struggle to regroup and to cope with the COVID-19 issues. If you need something now in terms of seeds, picking up what you find locally might be your best bet. If you remember how hard it was to find seeds in a timely manner in 2008 and 2009 when the economic recession caused a lot of new gardeners to start their first gardens, then you'll understand why it is important to get the seeds you need now. Supply and demand is a real thing and it affects gardeners and our access to resources---not just seeds but tools and other supplies as well.

Have a great week everyone.

Dawn

Comments (112)