SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
malcolm_pc

Dacor vs Fisher Paykel Refrigeration? Two units vs three?

Malcolm
4 years ago

Does anyone have experience with FP or Dacor?

Planning to renovate our kitchen and looking at two 30" units for the refrigeration/freezer columns.

I did initially compare these two to thermador, subzero and miele. I didnt like that subzero was the most expensive and only had one temperature and the Miele while very cool looking, had a small capacity and no water dispenser similar to thermador.

For me, the pros of the Dacor are: stainless interior, large capacity at 17.8cu3 and 17.6cu3 it has a separately controlled cooling drawer and there is an internal water dispenser.

Now you may ask, why consider the Fisher Paykel at all? Well, it's because I thought their idea of a "pantry" temperature is a really cool one and would be perfect for storing tomatoes and breads, etc. I also like that their freezers are one of the few to have two temperature zones as well so you can have your ice cream at a higher temperature than foods at longer term storage. The big downside is that the capacity is the smallest out of all the options and combined, its 3.5cu3 less than the Dacor.

The caveat here is, they are also about $1600 cheaper than FP and so we could likely afford to also get the FP cool drawer in our pantry for even more flexibility for $1000 more . . . but even still, it only is 3.1cu.

I guess the real question is, is it worth spending $1000 more to get a bit more flexibility in temperature control for the same amount of space. The other slight downside is that the cool drawer from FP is a slightly odd shape and while it fits in our pantry, it would throw the design off just a bit. I am attaching a rendering of it with the drawer in vs not.

Without the FP Cool Drawer

With the FP Cool Drawer

Comments (15)