SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veggiemar

My rubber tree won't grow

Hello Gardenweb! I've had this tiny rubber tree since 2016 and am wondering why it has not grown more, and how I can help it do so!

The tree is currently in a 5 inch pot in "Jungle Growth" soil (the last of this wonderful soil mix that I haven't been able to find again). It is about 5.5" tall. It sits 4 feet away from a southwest facing window with little obstruction, so it gets bright indirect light for most of the day, and some direct afternoon sun for a couple hours. I water when the soil feels dry an inch down, usually once a week or a little over a week. When I do water the plant, I water thoroughly until water drains out of the bottom of the pot, and I use a stick to poke around in the soil for aeration.

This is my little guy currently in March 2020:

(see after for previous photos showing growth)

2016 when I first got the ficus:

2017 progress and a new pot:

2018 additional leaves:

I'm delighted that it's got that beautiful pink leaf coming in, but concerned that the stem is still so small and short. The plant has not added much height or girth for the last two years. I repotted it to its larger 5" pot last summer (2019). Shouldn't it have grown more in the last 4 years? I was under the impression that rubber trees are veracious growers. Is there anything I can do to promote faster growth for this little one?

Thanks, all!

Comments (22)