SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_tencer

marvin ultimate signature windows

Andrew Tencer
4 years ago

I am probably going to buy a Marvin Ultimate Signature laminated for my bedroom window. I live on a noisy boulevard and I live in Montreal: Would this window insulate me well from the sound of traffic and from hot summers/cold winters? Is their installation team top class and their warranty good? Any help or advice or comments would all be very welcome.

Comments (50)

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

Marvin does not have there own installers nor do they subcontract installations. They are a manufacturer only. The sound of traffic Will be reduced, how is hard to say. I would have your contractor walk you through the many glass packages available to pick the right one. There will be a warranty from Marvin that would cover the window only, who ever your Contract is with would be responsible to provide you with additional warranties if any.

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

They told me $600 for installation and $75 for delivery, which would be paid by credit card. The cc company told me if it's not delivered when promised they can revoke payment. Unless I am advised otherwise I am so far intending to get double glazed laminated. Should I trust the Marvin engineers to select the best thickness of glass and best width between panes? I intend to get a detailed written warranty to study before purchase and everything should be covered (sash, frames, hardware, glazing, ...and installation): Any recommendations for what to check in the warranty?

• Related Discussions

Windows: Marvin Integrity vs. Ultimate

Q

Comments (2)
    I say it comes down to looks with those 2 lines. If the Integritt looks good to you and it doesn’t seem the Ultimates are with the extra coin go Integrity.
    ...See More

Marvin Windows - order of Ultimate, Integrity, Infinity

Q

Comments (3)
    Sounds like you spoke to a guy that can't sell Infinity, lol.... That said, its not far off. Ultimate is the flagship regardless, and then Infinity and Integrity are really separate branches on the tree IMO. Infinity is a window designed for the replacement market, and they have exclusive territories etc. It's kind of off on its own in that regard, whereas the Integrity can really be purchased anywhere Marvin products are sold, much like the Ultimate. Personally I prefer the real wood interior on the Integrity if I'm choosing form over function, but I'd also choose the Infinity ultrex over the Integrity all ultrex. In a nutshell, all are well made by a great company in Marvin, none are sensational in terms of performance ratings like you could find in a premium vinyl line or some Canadian fg units, and the "levels" of these three products are not linear from top to bottom.
    ...See More

Marvin Signature Ultimate vs Modern cost

Q

Comments (4)
    Montana Build Thanks for sharing. I wish the websites would give a breakdown of one window and prices across their different lines...just to get a general idea that Modern looks awesome but is way out of my budget! Do you know how Elevate would fit in? Pretty similar to Essential?
    ...See More

Marvin Ultimate--Painting fir window interior?

Q

Comments (3)
    Factory prefinished pine interior is sufficient. No need to upgrade the wood as neither of those wood types will paint any better than pine.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

Who is they? What is cc company?

I am not sure I would I trust there glass recommendations but I would take them into consideration.

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

cc is credit card. I have been considering Marvin's premium window, the Signature Ultimate Double Hung laminated. I'll ask them if they're options on glass thickness and separation between panes. I've read several complaints against them with the Better Business Bureau and here on Houzz, but I believe all complaints have to do with their Infinity series (which isn't what I'm looking at) & there're a very few number of complaints relative to their years in business & a percentage of the complaints is probably trolling by competitors & I'll pick through their warranty & Visa's insurance.

• wdccruise
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Casement windows (there are other Signature Ultimate casement models as well) provide better insulation than double-hung because, when closed the latching mechanism pulls the sash tight against the jamb -- I hope I'm using the correct terminology -- and there's no meeting rail. Perhaps you could substitute casement for double-hung for better energy efficiency and, perhaps, better noise reduction.

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    4 years ago

Something sounds a little off with your situation @Andrew Tencer. As Todd alluded to, Marvin does not do installs. I'd recommend purchasing the installed window package from a reputable Marvin window installer/dealer. If you choose the right company, they should be able to advise you on these questions, and your concerns with credit card payments etc should be eased. Perhaps that is exactly what you've already done, and if so, all is good. The way it was described just sounds a little unconventional.

As far as the product, Marvin is a nice window. Most of the problems that people complain about (when they do), are based on unreasonable expectation for that type of product. Most wood windows don't offer world beating performance, and they have a large amount of organic material (ie:wood) that requires maintenance, can absorb moisture, and has a shorter life expectancy as such than a window made of inorganic material.

I'd recommend taking a closer look at your goals and expectations from a window, and if a wood window is a fit, then they don't come much better than Marvin IMO.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

I’m no sure how well that visa insurance will work 5 eats down the road.

• HU-991102363
    4 years ago

I'm also considering Marvin windows for noise reduction. Check out this PDF to see the STC ratings based on the windows you choose. https://www3.marvin.com/WebDoc/Marvin%20ADM%20Product%20Performance.pdf

BTW I added you to Facebook, I would like to ask you a few things about the noise issue you have. I'm kind of in the same boat.

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

yes, of course ask me your questions here.

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

btw, your "noise reduction" link doesn't work. best if you please just tell me here what it says or what's the issue...

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I see that casement (crank) are the tightest fitting window (next to one that's completely sealed). However, I need a guillotine window to use my air conditioner.

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Marvin on Decarie in Montreal has clearly told me that they will install at $600 & $75 for delivery. They've also told me their installation includes removal of the old counterweights and complete insulation.

• HU-991102363
    4 years ago

Are you talking about this link? https://www3.marvin.com/WebDoc/Marvin%20ADM%20Product%20Performance.pdf

it's a PDF, I just tried it and it works

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

If I understand what I have read and what salesmen in multiple stores have told me, a wood window does not need any maintenance beyond varnish and cladding (the way it will be delivered): Is that correct?

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

If what I've read and what multiple salesmen have told me is true, wood is the best insulator (given that the only other materials for window frame/sash construction are pvc & aluminum & fiberglass & combinations of these).

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

and I've been led to believe that the best glass for noise reduction and temperature control is double glazed and laminated: is this true?

• fridge2020
    4 years ago

If you mean varnishing every “X” number of years, yes. It’s a very expensive and/or time consuming process.

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

at what intervals would I need to varnish?

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

are you saying that the part of the window embedded in the wall needs to be varnished at intervals, that would require removing the whole window? Or, are you just saying the exposed wood needs to be revarnished?

• HU-991102363
    4 years ago

The best way to look at the STC values in that PDF document I posted. Many things come into play, the distance between the two panes, the thickness, etc, What's the speed limit of the street facing your house?

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I live on a boulevard. Not a quiet avenue and not a highway. Marvin windows, I've been told do not come with a choice of a thickness of panes or choice of space between panes. However, I've been shown stc charts and I believe laminated is 30% quieter than untreated glass. Laminated is an option with Marvin windows that I would take.

• HU-991102363
    4 years ago

I've been doing research on windows for about 2 months now. I'd be interested to see how much of a noise reduction you will get. When are you looking to change your windows?

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

end march or beginning april to order. probably. then 8 wks till installation.

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

if you've advice on noise reduction please tell me. of course if you can have casement or fixed closed panels it'll be quieter and warmer..
    but I need a guillotine type.

• fridge2020
    4 years ago

It’s impossible to say how often the varnish would need to be redone. Depends on the prep work and quality of the original job, the exposure to moisture via elements including sun and condensation, your climate, etc. Could be every few years, could be 10+. Could vary from window to window.

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

exposure to elements "should" not be any concern on account of the varnish and extruded cladding all prepared before delivery. I believe we're talking about the tendency of untreated wood to rot, and I think the Marvin salespeople I spoke with referred to a 20 year warranty. On your advice I'll make sure it's warranted against rot. ...especially since we've the worst climate for windows (brief periods of +30's C in the summer & brief periods of -20's C in winter, all types of precipitation, etc).

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

Marvins wood products are chemically treated, even aluminum classes wood. condensation can be a real killer on wood windows and that type of damage is not typically a warranty item.

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am reading off the store quote now 20 year frame/sashes/hardware & 10 year glass/glazing warranty + 1 year Quebec legal warranty + limited warranty. So, it sounds like (even if I ever to pay labour) all parts are covered by the company, I think. I understand that I really need to make sure to see in writing that rot in wood and condensation in glass are warrantied.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

I meant condensation on the interior surface in my comments, condensation between the glass is typically covered but maybe Not if it was caused by interior condensation.

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

"...but maybe not if it was caused by interior condensation" on what surface?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

Surface #4

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What is "surface # 4"?

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    4 years ago

The side of the glass to the interior of your home. #1 is outside, 2 & 3 are to the interior of the IG unit.

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I very much appreciate your detailed comments, but wish that you (or an experienced person) could honestly say that I can trust Marvin's engineering (especially given that there's a low e film inside and laminate outside the glass).

• PRO
    4 years ago

What exactly are you looking for @Andrew Tencer in terms of assurances? Most pros will say that Marvin is one of the better built and engineered wood windows, particularly of those that are widely available. Does that mean that they will last 30 years? Not necessarily. Wood windows are far more dependent on conditions and care as explained by others above. I'd put 10-20 years as a fair life expectancy for a wood window. Some fail sooner, some later. Most wood windows (Marvin included) will not warranty wood rot due to condensation beyond 10 years, if at all. Given that this is the most common reason for failure that I see (at least here in a cold climate), I wouldn't consider the warranty worth anything beyond the 10 year mark.

As far as the glass, Marvin (and many others) use Cardinal glass which is highly regarded.

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thank you very much! Of course if there's minor maintenance every few years I'd either do it myself or hire someone. It doesn't sound like you believe Marvin windows would ever need to be removed for maintenance. You've the clearest and most positive option yet.

• PRO
    4 years ago

If you get a quality stain/paint job initially and make sure to wipe off any condensation daily, you can probably go several years before needing to refinish. At that point, the windows don't get "removed" to do so, but it is a lengthy, pricey, and inconvenient process that takes place in your home. Some folks with busy lives leave blinds closed for years while the HVAC either heats or cools the home, and then open them up some years later to find the windows is total disrepair... most people are somewhere in between.

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

much appreciated: I will look for condensation daily to prevent the need for costly repairs. The wood will be varnished and stained, not painted.

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

For anyone wanting a double hung varnished pine extruded aluminum clad low e and double glazed window in Montreal, Marvin is slightly more expensive than average but more than $1000 less than Design and Porto and Verdun Portes et Fenetres.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

For the most part , but installation will be key in the long run. They are not going to warranty something that has been leaking water. They have installation instructions on there website. Triple panes help Keep condensation off the interior, but are not as good as sone of there double panes at noise reduction.

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

they will install themselves: surely that will help make sure that they honor their warranty. so, if there's ever rot on the aluminum clad wood that they will have installed, outside it is warrantied?

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I've looked at STC charts and seen that double glazed and laminated is much quieter than triple glazed untreated. Of course always low e.

Thank you for telling me that the pine aluminum clad outside portion of the window when installed by Marvin is warrantied: and I'll get them to either put that on the sales contract or show me where it's written already.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

Typically Triple panes do not have much or if any better performance going by STC numbers than a typical dual paned wind ow. A dual paned unit with. A typical dual paned unit with dissimilar glass easily outperforms a triple in a typical window and is such the case with Marvin.

Are you sure an authorized Marvin dealer and not Marvin themselves are doing the install, I am But may be wrong just this once.

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Maybe the actual installer in subcontracted for installation by Marvin: I don't know. However, the Decarie Marvin showroom told me their price for installation and their price for delivery and I will make the appointment for delivery and installation with Marvin Decarie and I won't ever know about another company. So, as far as I am concerned, if I am buying from Marvin then Marvin is delivering and installing.

Thank you for assuring me that I'm best off with double glazed (low e & laminated).

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was just at the Marvin Decarie store and learned that the installer does not belong to Marvin, although I was told it is the same installer they have used for more than 10 years which is why they are able to say the cost and why I'm able to make an appointment for installation with the store. But, I've just learned, there'd be a seperate bill from the installer of 600 installation + 75 delivery + tax. Also, I may have to change the lintil for that 1 bedroom window. They said a new window can only be installed with a satisfactory lintil, and this they said can only be installed by a mason. They estimate that a mason they'd refer me to would cost $100/hour x 5 to 8 hours + scaffold + materials + tax. I must've looked quite upset on my out of the showroom because a salesman stopped me and said that I should take a closeup picture to show the store and they may visit to see if it's needed. So, a new lintil (which I hope I don't need) installed is about $1200 for my 3rd floor window. The salesman showed me there's a good distance between outside air and the layer of wood the extruded aluminum covers. He alleged that he has never heard of any degree of rot under the aluminum clad exterior. That said, he was clear that Marvin's warranty does not cover ANY wood rot or ANY wood deterioration.

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

With the ultimate double hung G2 guillotine is it possible to have a full length screen on the outside and full length shade on the inside?

• millworkman
    4 years ago

Definitely a full exterior screen is no issue. As far as interior window treatments I do not see why not.

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Good morning. Thank you.

• Andrew Tencer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am ready to buy the Marvin Ultimate Double Hung G2, but must of course wait till COVID is sufficiently controlled that the store is able to open (& that their suppliers have all returned to normal). I've inadvertently become a bit of a lay (non professional) expert on account of my obsessing about this purchase. Of course if there's anything I've missed I would very very much appreciate being told. As my questions have become thin, I'm left with: For this window to accommodate my air conditioner is it possible to have only a half screen at the top? Best if the screen installed at the top initially can move on tracks to the bottom if I wish.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio