SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gayland_hethcoat

Painting or Staining Inside of Front Door - Which Color and Finish?

Gayland Hethcoat
4 years ago

My front door is a glossy pine wood that does not mix well with the darker espresso/hickory laminate flooring that I’ve laid in my modern/mid-century themed townhome. Replacing the door is likely out of the question due to HOA restrictions in my townhome community. The door itself is in good condition and I don’t mind it from the front on the outside. But I would like to paint or stain it from the inside to be more cohesive with the rest of the mostly neutral aesthetic.

I’m leaning toward a darker gray that will contrast against the cool undertone gray owl painted walls and also contrast against the white cabinetry we just installed nearby in our kitchen. I’d like to use whatever paint or stain we use for the door also for a built-in pine wood shelf and cabinet upstairs. It is also around a lot of the light gray and white, and so I’m thinking the same or a similar tone as what we use for the front door would contrast well against these other neutral tones and be consistent.

Another option that I was originally leaning more toward was a wood staining with an espresso or hickory tone that is similar to the laminate flooring.

Questions where I am seeking any recommendations:

• Is painting or staining preferable for this door project and if so, why?
• What gray paints or stains (by name, brand, and any other relevant details) would you recommend?
• Would it be necessary to sand down the door before painting or staining?
• Would any particular gloss or finish be recommended to apply after painting or staining the door?
• Is painting or staining the door while hinged in the doorway preferable to doing so with the door unhinged from the frame?

I appreciate any recommendations and suggestions!

Comments (3)