SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarahachevalier

House Plans for Mountain Lot - Part II

sarahachevalier
4 years ago

Hello all. I can’t believe it’s been almost a year since I last posted. This thread is a continuation of the thread with my preliminary plans – if you are interested in finding out more about our family and what we were looking for in our house plans, please refer to that thread:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5629902/please-comment-on-our-house-plans-for-a-mountain-lot

To be honest, at this point I am not looking to change the fundamental layout of the rooms. I have been over this several times and have concluded that the general layout of the rooms is optimal based on lot constraints, sun orientation, views, exterior architecture, access to backyard, as well as our personal preferences. As such, I am not looking to make significant changes such as moving the garage, kitchen, bedrooms, etc.

What I would like is feedback on tweaks to improve livability in this house, while keeping the existing footprint. Final tweaks and tips to make this house more enjoyable to live in. I’d like to think that I’ve thought of everything, but that would just be naïve!

For anyone who would have followed the previous thread, one key thing was the driveway access to the property. We spent a good part of 2019 working with our building and landscape architects and the city on alternate ways to access the property, and in the end the city did not allow us to work with a different access. Too much deforestation otherwise. This was a disappointment, but it’s something we can live with. I could rant all day about how much time, money and energy/frustration was spent on this, but I’ll just let it go.

Since the preliminary plans that were posted in the previous thread, several changes were made, key among them:

• Reconfigured the mudroom/powder room layout – to enter the mudroom directly from the garage on advice of Houzzers.
  • Changed the orientation of the kitchen to improve the layout, again on the advice of Houzzers on the kitchen forum. Cabinetry detail,s prep sink placement and aisles left to sort out.
  • Changed the pantry layout, and added storage in the library for printer, etc. that will be hidden by a secret door/bookcase – the geek in me finds this awesome.
  • Increased the ceiling height to 11 ft in the living room, which had important repercussions on the 2nd floor as well as elevations.
  • Changed the master closet/bathroom layout to have them together – the original layout bothered me.
  • Moved the laundry room – making the room above the garage a bonus room that could stay unfinished for now. Given the large walk-out basement, we do not really need the bonus room right now.
  • Changed the back façade – mainly for the exterior look, it didn’t really change the functionality within the house. I find that it breaks up the large kitchen/dining/living room area nicely, though.

I would make a few additional tweaks to the second floor – in particular to remove the second closet in the master bedroom which I thought I wanted but isn’t really needed.

Plans below. Thank you!

Comments (17)