Peanut brittle- so simple, so delicious

Lucille

I have a pan of buttery brittle setting up on the counter. I keep on taking samples from one little corner 'just to make sure it is doing OK'. (It is).

SaveComment13Like8
Comments (13)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Uptown Gal

LOL I love brittle....my sister always made big pans of it at Christmas. I haven't

made any in years though. Keep testing...we don't want it to go 'bad'. ;)

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Lucille
hallngarden

Love making peanut brittle. Also making sure it's "OK"

1 Like Save     Thanked by Lucille
georgysmom2

Do you need a second opinion?

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Lucille
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I consider that the cook's reward 😉

Save     Thanked by Lucille
DawnInCal

I've never made it, but I love me some peanut brittle. I'd love it even more without the peanuts - just give me the brittle!

And, yes, Lucille. You have to nibble on it; how else would you know if it was edible? ;-)

daisychain01

recipe?

nhbaskets

Love it. Last time I had it I broke an old filling. Won’t have it again anytime soon.

Lucille

2 c sugar in a pot, then 1 c corn syrup, 1 c water, you don't stir you just turn the heat on medium until it looks right, bubbly and amber, it takes a while, then add (all at once) 2 c Planter's roasted salted peanuts, a dab of vanilla, some baking soda and a stick of butter cut into pieces. Stir for a minute, and then put into a shallow nonstick pan that you sprayed with Crisco spray.

You then pick a corner and monitor progress by tasting every time you pass by, when it is brittle you break it and store it in one of those glass storage pans that has a cover that snaps down on the side and has a gasket.

Nhbaskets, if you don't cook it until it is amber but instead a lighter color you can make a softer candy that is easier to eat, sort of like one of those peanut candy bars. You cut it into pieces with a butter knife and sort of pry the piece off the pan, they tend to stick in the glass storage pan so you might have to pry it out of there too. Worth the effort, soft and buttery.

3 Likes Save    
dallasannie

I bet that would be good crumbled as a garnish on top of a plain cake layer.

Another really good thing to make that has peanuts is real old fashioned Cracker Jack. You can find recipes for it online and I found my original one in an old magazine from the 30's. You can add different nuts, roasted sunflower seeds, etc

It is so good!!!! It is much like the peanut brittle in nature and goodness.

hallngarden

OK, that does it. Just called the grands to come on over. I have resisted making a batch since reading post on Monday. We all love peanut brittle. My taster helpers are on the way.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Lucille
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

@dallasannie, I would love to have your recipe for Cracker Jacks. Would you mind sharing it, please.

daisychain01

Thank you, Lucille. One of my daughters is vegan and lactose intolerant. Do you think it would work with margarine sticks instead of butter? she likes a sweet treat now and then but man I’m having trouble finding good vegan recipes. and just as a side note, when those vegan bloggers exclaim that their families and friends tell them that their vegan version of a dessert is better than the original, they are lying thru their teeth.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Lucille
Lucille

Daisy I would experiment, with margarine and with plain peanut oil, maybe halve the recipe and try both and compare.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Housing Research Why So Many New U.S. Homes Are Supersized
A bigger share of new homes sold in 2015 were 4,000 square feet or more compared with before the recession. But that could change
Full Story
Small Kitchens Deliciously Simple: Food Photographer Warms Up a Rental Kitchen
See how a San Francisco cook and blogger makes her small kitchen shine
Full Story
New Year's Eve How to Host a Big Holiday Meal in Your Not-So-Big Home
Here are 7 things you can do to make your dinner party a success
Full Story