Can I Freeze Yogurt Sauce?

Suzieque

I am going to be making garlic curry chicken thighs with yogurt sauce. It uses plain Greek yogurt, olive oil, garlic, curry powder, salt, and lemon juice. Can I freeze leftovers or will the sauce become wonky?

SaveComment9Like
Comments (9)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DawnInCal

I freeze yogurt all the time with no wonkiness. Sometimes, it separates into solids and liquids, but after stirring it well, it mixes back together.

The lemon juice could be a factor in that it may curdle the yogurt, but the only way to find out for sure is to try it and see what happens.

Save     Thanked by Suzieque
Elmer J Fudd

Raw chicken is guaranteed to be loaded with bacteria. If the "leftover" sauce will be in contact with raw chicken without being raised to over 180 degrees (at which temperature the yogurt will likely break apart) before being frozen , toss it.

Suzieque

Thanks both. Elmer, the chicken won’t be raw. As mentioned, I’m wondering about leftovers, meaning once baked and served and what remains. I totally get you about raw chicken. Yuck!

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Sorry if I misunderstood your intent. Sometimes, as with tandoori chicken, raw chicken is "marinated" in a yoghurt sauce before cooking.

Suzieque

Thanks again. I'm sure we won't eat it all and will try freezing it. I appreciate your responses, DawninCal and Elmer.

Save    
sjerin

Just an fyi if you do marinate chicken in yogurt: it takes quite a bit more salt that you'd think to flavor the chicken.

OutsidePlaying

Generally any dairy products aren’t recommended to be frozen. YMMV but I wouldn’t, especially if the sauce is easy to throw together fresh.

edited to add, the garlic and some of the other spices in the sauce could change or lose flavor due to freezing also.

Suzieque

Oh, thanks for that info, stern. And OutsidePlaing, hmmmm.....another point of view. I appreciate the input. Maybe I'll just try making only 1/2 of the recipe. Will report back.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

If the sauce is used to cook the chicken in, then I would have no concerns about freezing the leftovers. I make various recipes that include a dairy based sauce of some variety - yogurt, sour cream, even heavy cream - and after cooking, the leftovers freeze perfectly well. Uncooked dairy may not freeze well (although I have no issues with cheeses or butter) but dairy used as a component of a cooked sauce freezes just fine. I find no deterioration of texture, splitting or separating or loss of flavor.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Homes Around the World The Big Freeze: Inventors Break New Ground to Keep Things Cool
Old-fashioned fridges can be energy guzzlers, but there are more eco-friendly ways of keeping food fresh, as these global innovations show
Full Story
Features Can Tidying Up Result in Life-Changing Magic?
Organizing phenom Marie Kondo promises big results — if you embrace enormous changes and tough choices
Full Story
Housekeeping 10 Decluttering Projects You Can Do in 15 Minutes or Less
Try these ideas to get organized at home one small step at a time
Full Story
SmartRoof is dedicated to the relentless pursuit of the perfect customer experience. We help you make educated... Read More
Residential construction specializing in kitchens & bathrooms. A complete service business covering everything... Read More