SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caramaticic

Cedar Raised Garden Beds

Cara Baxter
4 years ago

Hi all!

Really hoping for some helpful advice. I’ve been trying to find a cut and dry answer to my question, however I am having a hard time finding one.

I am going to be building multiple 18 inch wide, three feet high, six feet long cedar raised garden beds to act as a “fence” in my backyard to corral my little ones. I am very excited!!

My main question is what do I put at the bottom of the bed? We have chemically treated our lawn in the past, and to be honest, my husband will most likely want to continue this practice. I do not want any of the chemicals to get into my organic garden. I’ll be growing fruits and vegetables. I’m nervous if I only use newspaper, cardboard, or even wood, that eventually it will decay and the chemicals will work their way into my soil and therefore my vegetables. Would I have to use plastic? I’ve read that using plastic can make the wood rot faster and cause drainage issues. Plus I don’t know how I feel about plastic possibly leaching chemicals into the soil either. And if I cannot have my garden soil directly on my native soil, do I need to use a potting mix instead of making my own soil/compost mix? I plan on having at least 24” of growing depth, 36” if I can safely have my soil touching the ground. I’m so confused!! I really need some advice. Maybe there is no perfect solution, but I’m determined to find one! Any experience/expertise is welcomed!

Thank you!

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor