Spinach Artichoke Dip - Can I Freeze?

sarahsocal

Hello all. Mostly a lurker here but read constantly. Thought I would ask for input.

I made spinach artichoke dip yesterday. Recipe is Alton Brown's from Food Network. Ingredient list:

1 cup thawed, chopped frozen spinach

1 1/2 cups thawed, chopped frozen artichoke hearts

6 ounces cream cheese

1/4 cup sour cream

1/4 cup mayonnaise

1/3 cup grated Parmesan

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

(After sampling. I added grated gruyere and fontina to make it more cheesy.)

You basically just mix them all (after removing as much water as possible from the veg).

It is quite good but of course made a ton. Based on the ingredients, do you think it would freeze well?

SaveComment6Like
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plllog

Even well drained it sounds too wet to me to freeze really well. OTOH, the water could just crystalize out and you'd be able to pour it off and have a cheesy, creamy, good dip that was softer and dippier than ever.

So you have a whole lot. It's not going to keep nicely in the fridge for more than a few days. Why not freeze at least some and see what happens? If it doesn't come out well from the freezer, make a half batch next time.

Save    
sarahsocal

Good point. I will at least try - better than tossing it. (Or I will just eating nothing else for the next few days.)

Save    
chloebud

Agree the texture could be compromised by freezing but not the flavor. If it's too thinned out to your liking after thawing, maybe try tossing it with hot pasta.

Save    
Nancy 6b

I was going to suggest tossing with pasta. I have never done it, but it sounds good to me. But then, everything sounds good to me, just started a diet, and has been a long, long time since I have been on a serious diet. Feeling glum.

Save    
lindac92

Mayo typically doesn't freeze and thaw well....but there is enough other stuff in there that I think it would be fine. as for being watery? The vegetables have been cooked and should have released most of the water.....and I trust the spinach was squeezed a bit as well to get rid of the juice. The parm will go a long way toward sopping up any goo....I think ti will freeze just fine! Give it a good stir when thawed and of course defrost slowly preferably in the refrigerator.

Save    
sarahsocal

Hello again all. Thought I would post a follow up.

The frozen and then thawed dip was perfectly fine. I will definitely make it again specifically to freeze.

Thanks again for all of the input!

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular Everything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
Housekeeping Freeze-Dried Clothes? Houzzers Share Their Winter Laundry Tales
Air-drying the wash in chilly temps can be a challenge, but Houzz readers find a way
Full Story
Most Popular What to Do When Your Pipes Freeze
Here’s how to thaw frozen pipes and avoid having them freeze in the future
Full Story