Are you ever tempted to watch an older show again?

Jasdip

All of a sudden one night this week, I thought of The Thorn Birds. It was a mini-series in the early 80's with Richard Chamberlain. Remember when tv networks aired Made for TV Movies, and Mini-Series regularly? I enjoyed that.

Anyway, I loved, loved Thorn Birds at the time. I wonder, if I can ever find it, if it would still be as good today as it was then.

PS, I'm unable to comment on posts for some reason. Anyone else with that issue?

SaveComment73Like2
Comments (73)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amylou321

I occasionally pull out my old Hercules: the legendary journeys DVDs. I wish I could buy them on amazon prime, but they only have the first season. What's the point of only having one season available???? Anyway, I also caught some old Garfield and Friends episodes on Starz the other day. I have those on dvd as well. As an eighties baby, those two count as old to me....

Save    
gadgets

Yes, I most certainly do watch older shows more than once. BTW, I don't think I watched The Thorn Birds when it was originally on. With your recommendation, I will keep an eye out for it to be on TV.

Save    
arkansas girl

We have hundreds and hundreds of old movies and TV shows! That's pretty much all we watch. Got rid of cable TV many years ago!

Save    
Lars

You can buy The Thorn Birds on DVD, and it is not expensive.

Palm Springs has channels that show old TV shows, and one channel has marathon showings of 1960s shows each week-end. One week-end it was 77 Sunset Strip.

Save    
girlnamedgalez8a

I loved that miniseries! In Hawaii we saw the house where the secret get away was filmed. So romantic!!!

1 Like Save    
dedtired

My library has a Thorn Birds on dvd. Loved that series. I never go looking for old shows but occasionally stumble across them when channel surfing. Some are really great and others make me wonder if we were ever rally that naive.

Save    
Suzieque

My husband teases me about watching the same old shows over and over again. I love them.

Save    
Fun2BHere

Absolutely. I watch the entire series of The West Wing every year or so. I recently bought DVDs of Reasonable Doubts and Northern Exposure to watch. I discovered two new-to-me Australian series on YouTube and enjoyed binge-watching them. I remember how excited I was when TimeLife finally offered DVDs of China Beach for sale. Some series don't hold up to the passage of time very well, but others are just as fun to watch today as they were originally.

Save    
stacey_mb

I have DVD collections of the Mary Tyler Moore show and enjoy watching them again.

Save    
arcy_gw

A mini series I am sure I would love seeing again. I have tried regular sitcoms on cable from years ago and don't find them plausible enough. I have been discovering old series I never knew of when they first ran: JAG, The Closer, Crossing Jordan, Major Crimes and am enjoying them.

Save    
caflowerluver

We have watched the movies The Blues Brothers and Ghostbusters (original) many times. I have watched all the different Star Trek series again.

Save    
OutsidePlaying

My DH could spend hours watching old series...JAG is a favorite of his. He also watches M.A.S.H. (I like that one too, but only so often and like the movie a lot), Tool Time, Hogan’s Heroes, and probably some others I can’t recall.

I‘m not so much into them unless I am totally bored and happen to see that one is on and will tune in. Saw Spy Game, with Robert Redford and Brad Pitt recently and it isn’t really that old. Well, 2001, I guess maybe it is!

Save    
PRO
Anglophilia

All the time! Sometimes the show/movie has stood the test of time, sometimes it has not. One never knows until one watches it again!

Save    
cooper8828

We recently watched a lot of Perry Mason episodes. It was either on Hulu or Amazon Prime, but I was sure happy to stumble across them.

1 Like Save    
Lucille

I have watched some old shows and movies a ton of times. I love Star Trek TNG. The Jurassic Park movies. Die Hard movies. Too many more to list.

Save    
ritaweeda

Our satellite provider puts certain channels on temporarily and then jerks them off again - probably to entice us to a more expensive package. It's like they are saying "see what you're missing?? - Don't you want to pay for this?" LOL! NOT! Anyway, they recently had a channel called METV on with a bunch of old TV shows. I mean OLD. Like Alfred Hitchcock, Perry Mason and Twilight Zone. Anyway I'm almost always pretty disappointed when I watch these old forgotten shows, a lot of them were pretty corny and the acting was awful. But it's interesting to see the big names on some of the episodes before they became famous with their own shows.

Save    
Uptown Gal

LOL ...while a wandering, couldn't sleep night, I was surfing channels out

of boredom and came across "Ozzie & Harriet". Oh wow...a whole different

world back then. I didn't check the date...but was, what? The 60's? I do watch Shawshank Redemption every time I see it on,

and a couple more. See something new I missed everytime, too. :) Enjoy

those oldies.

Save    
Michael

Jasdip, it's on Kanopy.

All you need is a library card to subscribe. Kanopy has enough to last the rest of your life.

Indecent Obsession (same author) is also available.

Kanopy streaming

Save    
marilyn_c

No. I didn't watch them the first time around.

Save    
arkansas girl

Something we watched that I remember that I loved but don't like anymore is MASH and Miami Vice. The MASH series was so sexist it wasn't funny anymore. I'm not sure about Miami Vice, it just seemed boring to me, neither me nor my husband liked either of those.

Our favorite is Stargate SG1 and all the old Star Trek movies and TV shows.

Save    
nickel_kg

My sister said she caught the first episode of "Here Come The Brides", and could not believe how un-PC it was. All I remember of that show is how dreamy Bobby Sherman was, way cuter than David Cassidy!

Save    
desertsteph

I'm watching Cheyenne now. am gonna try Death Valley Days after I finish Cheyenne. I only recently (last yr) watched ER. also this past yr Million Dollar Man. I love watching the old shows. will have to look for 77 Sunset Strip. have seen Ed Byrnes on a few westerns.

I've had Silk Stalkings come up on hulu and will watch some of those too.

and I watched Katts and Dog (cop and canine) on youtube.

Save    
bpath reads banned books too

We watch a lot of old shows! Especially MASH (yes, very sexist but it got less so as it went on), Frasier, Seinfeld (do those qualify as older ???)

We watched Sleeping with the Enemy recently. We’d both seen it more than once and didn’t mind knowing what would happen, but now it seemed so dated: the clothing, hair, the music! It just didn’t do it for us anymore.

One of my favorite old shows is Dick Van Dyke, and Hazel. I want a Hazel! And Laura Petrie‘s body lol

Save    
Lars

We get METV through our antenna. We do not even have cable in Cathedral City (since we are there so seldom), and so we only watch whatever comes through the air, which is plenty. We also have two Blu-Ray players which can stream movies via Amazon Prime, if we want, but I also have a huge collection of DVDs - most of which are of TCM movies that I recorded on DVR and then put on DVD discs with a DVD recorder. I have hundreds of movies like that, plus a few other shows. We also have a large collection of DVDs that we bought plus quite a few Blu-Ray discs and a handful of 4K discs, but we only have a 4K player in L.A. I can't tell the difference between 4K discs and Blu-Ray, and so we mostly just get Blu-Ray.

Save    
jupidupi

Every so often I love me some Kojak. Also, The Saint. A young Roger Moore, plus the primitive production values are a hoot.

Save    
justretired

Seinfeld! Not that there’s anything wrong with that...

2 Likes Save    
joann_fl

I loved the Thornbirds. My son bought me the videos for my Birthday one year. I haven't watched it in a long time but still love it.

1 Like Save    
Elizabeth

I would love to watch the entire Madmen series from the beginning.

Save    
Michael

I can't tell the difference between 4K discs and Blu-Ray, and so we mostly just get Blu-Ray.

There's a noticeable difference between 4K and 1080p viewing. It's "Enhanced".

If your TV is 4K capable, and the Enhanced 4K setting is enabled in settings, you'll notice a big difference when viewing 4K broadcasts.

If your TV isn't 4K, the 4K player will simply pass 1080p to the TV. If your TV is 4K and the 4K player passes through an old technology receiver(not HDCP 2.2 capable) to the TV, the signal will pass through as 1080p. No enhancement.

Millions of TV buyers are greatly disappointed after buying a 4K TV only to discover their other equipment must be upgraded in order to enjoy 4K viewing.

Save    
sleeperblues

The Thornbirds was so good, I’d love to see it again. Also Lonesome Dove

Save    
Lars

I have both a 4K TV and a 4K player. The receiver we have is newer than the TV, and we bought one that would be compatible with our 4K TV. Perhaps I need new glasses, but I already see more detail than I really want to see as it is. Our TV is only 65", and so that may be part of the problem, but we do not have room for a bigger TV, except in our second home.

Save    
arkansas girl

Lars, sometimes clearer isn't better. I personally do not like that super clear, can see the pores in someone's face, type picture. So, we have our TV set on a different setting that doesn't look like that! We call that the Soap Opera effect, I don't like that!

Save    
juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl

Fun2BHere, what are the two Australian series you're enjoying on Youtube?

1 Like Save    
Michael

Lars, most 4K receivers and TV's require 4K features to be enabled during initial set-up. If your receiver is 4K compatible, the HDMI ports will be labeled HDCP 2.2.

To confirm 4K enhancement, press Display or Input button on remote.

TV size doesn't matter to 4K. Size does matter if the TV is too large for the viewing area. If you're seeing pores, you're sitting too close and/or the TV is too large for your viewing area. If your vision is as good as mine, you'll want to be 10-12' away.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Lars, "only" 65? :-)

I don't like a huge tv. I've seen them where I have to constantly move my head back and forth to see the whole picture.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Juneroses, I don't know what series Fun is watching (I hope she chimes in), but I'm enjoying 800 words and a friend recommended The Heart Guy about an Australian heart doctor.

Save    
Uptown Gal

I loved 800 words...the first time around anyway. One of the PBS stations

here has been playing it over and over. Loved "The Heart Guy"...the guy

you love to hate. Can't wait for the new series release. Watched The

Shawshank Redemption again...for about the 100th time, I guess. One of

my all-time favorite shows.

Save    
patriceny

I agree MASH didn't age all that well. I used to love that show decades ago. I just watched a few episodes over a snowy weekend here in the Northeast, and it just wasn't as good as I remembered it. Some of the blatant sexism was almost cringe-worthy, for me. It's interesting to see how different our world is today vs. back then. I watched a few episodes and got my fill.

I LOVED Northern Exposure. I haven't thought of that show in ages.

Save    
joanmn

I have re-watched (or in some cases saw for the first time) about every western series ever made in the 50's and 60's. Still in the process of watching The Virginian, there are lots of episodes of it. Gunsmoke...still love it.

I have seen every episode of Andy Griffith show ( especially the black and white ones) at least 2 or 3 times.

I love the old shows.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Shows or mini series? My mind drifted to North and South, and then Winds of War... I love it all. I not only rewatch old shows, I make my son watch them with me. P.S. I confused the Thorn Birds with Shogun, yet another miniseries.

Save    
blfenton

I watch all the Star Trek shows over and over again - Voyager, Enterprise, TNG, DS9 and now we have Picard and Discovery.

I rewatch the movies as well. As well as Indiana Jones movies over and over again.

1 Like Save    
Bookwoman

We have a lot of British series on DVD: the original (and much better) House of Cards with Ian Richardson; Tinker, Tailor with Alec Guinness; The Jewel in the Crown; Brideshead Revisited, etc. And not British, but with a number of British actors, The Wire, possibly the best thing ever made for TV. We've watched all of these multiple times.

Save    
blubird

We watch The Nanny every night. Most of it is still funny and the cast was wonderful. They look as if they had a pretty good time. It keeps us relaxed near bedtime.

Save    
Fun2BHere

@juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl The two Australian series I watched were Sea Patrol and Rescue: Special Ops. These are not award-winning dramas, just easy-to-watch weekly serials. I like Sea Patrol best.

Save    
sjerin

The new season of Heart Guy was so disappointing to me, and that's all I'll say. I think I only watched two or three shows.

Save    
katlan

I watch Steel Magnolias, the original one, every single time it's on. I actually have it recorded now. I love Golden Girls, watch it all the time.

Save    
arkansas girl

I'm just kind of wondering why someone wouldn't watch old movies and TV shows? I mean, we listen to old music and read old books...right? There are many wonderful movies that were wonderful back in the 80's or whenever, they are mostly still great movies now! Some are dated by their lack of PC...watched some old Clint Eastwood movie from the 70's that was cringe worthy...HAHA! Things were just different back then...I guess people were less up-tight? HA!

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I watch old shows all the time. My cable provider offers multiple channels that feature old TV series and movies and I have a couple of streaming services where I can find old movies as well.

If I liked the movie well enough the first time, I am almost certain to enjoy it again and I do have some faves that I will watch whenever I find them.

And to be honest, I find many of the older TV shows and series to be far superior than those being offered now. Ditto movies. I've seen several of the recent Academy Awards nominees and I really didn't care for any of them.

Save    
dallasannie

I watched the entire DickVanDyke shows and really enjoyed them. He was a genuine professional clown in a classic sense.

Hubs and I began watching Father Knows Best as a short night cap after the evening viewing. Talk about outdated notions! Every episode opens with the mother doing something intensely domestic. Father is not an enlightened fellow and junior is a real sexist jerk. The oldest daughter is the only bright light as she does pride herself on her academic success, yet she also longs for a man to take her away. The youngest child, another daughter, has gender identity issues and is a "tomboy". Then, there are guest minority roles played by painfully stereotypical actors in painfully stereotypical situations.

The sexist and racist white guys in the show are seemingly unaware of their own privilege and attitudes. Especially obnoxious are the college frat guys, the jocks and the empty headed females who pursue them. Talk about a group of jack asses! Still, it portrays the era, and the family have, basically, intact social values, just flavored by the times they lived in. it is a real period piece.

Neither I, nor Hubs, had a family like that. We were both solid working class and our dads only put on a suit for funerals. "Father" here wears his suit well into the evening while Mother sits on the couch with her mending basket. He reads the newspaper, but she just mends, or does some needlework. One time she got a job but quit because her family wanted her at home and another time she tried to go back to school but was put firmly in her place, back on the sofa or in the kitchen baking cookies, by her family who could not function without her.

One great episode is when Father bought Mother a new apron for her birthday. And, it was not a real working apron, either. It was not made of sturdy stuff with adjustable ties and great big pockets. It was a frilly little half number of chiffon and ruffles and you have to giggle to think just where Father would like for Mother to wear that little frilly apron. It was, obviously, no good for baking cookies or wrestling with holiday turkeys. Only the older more enlightened daughter protested it. Father had no clue why Mother would not just love it. And,Mother did love it. By the way, back in those days, married couples on TV had separate beds in the same room. Yeah, it was a different time.

Another nightcap is Twilight Zone. The oldest ones were the best as they brought to the fore some of the deepest universal elements of human nature. As the show went on they got quite thin and uninteresting and some were just plain silly.

We tried to watch The Honeymooners but Ralphs behavior was just too harsh and painful to laugh at . I am not an easily wilted lilly, but it was just too much and not really even all that funny.

I am old enough for my vintage TV to be in the 50's and early 60's. After that I hardly watched TV at all. I was not big on watching TV. And, back in those days the one and only TV was in the living room. Even now all I use the TV for is for streaming.

1 Like Save    
dallasannie

garden gal, I like to watch some older movies sometimes. Some of them had real character development and much less sensational footage so that they had to be filled with much more dialogue and story line. Also there were less repeated formula stories being told. You see some of those talented actors of yesteryear. It was all so different.

Sometimes it also depicts the times. In many of those old movies of around the midcentury era, everyone smoked and drank lots of alcohol! Always with the mixed drink in hand and they smoked everywhere! What different sensibilities back then!

Those Hollywood depictions of lifestyle set what many adults of that generation aspired towards. Having that hifi set in the living room and a bar for mixed drinks, visiting Las Vegas, and having a fur coat or a swimming pool was what was considered to the high life for many of that generation. Living life like a movie star was the thing, even if you lived in the newly minted bungalows of the burbs or out on the farm.

Still there were some really good old movies.

I am old enough to remember when watching old movies meant watching really old movies from the 30's on late night TV, right before the station went off the air for the day and played the national anthem. Then, there was nothing there but that test pattern and a loud dead on buzzing sound. until sometime in the wee hours of the. next morning when it would come back on again with the agricultural reports of the daily trading prices of pork bellies or sorghum. Maybe in New York it was different. Out in the heartland of America pork bellies were big news and you needed to know first thing in the morning.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

LOL!! dallasannie, your definition of "older" movies may be very different from mine :-) 'Older' movies to me are just those that were released maybe 10-20 years ago and a bit before that. Although many were excellent productions, I am not much interested in anything before the 60's - they are just too dated for my tastes.

And I'm sure my preferred choices would not be everyone's cup of tea! Caddy Shack, any of the "brat pack" movies, Wayne's World, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Back to the Future, Butch and Sundance, Thelma and Louise, A Few Good Men, The Horse Whisperer, Close Encounters, ET, Jurassic Park, the original Terminator, As Good As it Gets, Ghost, Top Gun, any of the Indiana Jones, the older Star Wars......... I am happy to rewatch any of them any time they may appear on current scheduling.

Save    
Jasdip

The sitcoms today aren't funny at all to me. They're just plain stupid.

I loved Frasier, pure wit. I have that on my list of shows to watch again.

I did watch Thorn Birds this weekend! It was good, but the last episode was dragging.

Save    
Bookwoman

If you want a non-stupid and thoughtful comedy, try The Good Place. The series just ended its run on NBC, and I believe the earlier seasons are available on Netflix.

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

I loved the book Shogun, and the mini series, even though I never cared much for Richard Chamberlain. I liked Noble House (the book) also but the movie (or was it a mini series too?) was disappointing.

The Winds of War, and War and Remembrance, were well done- I would watch them again.

Sometimes I will watch the very old (1950s-early 1960s) shows when I want something that isn't full of sex, violence, profanity and so forth. I see enough ugliness and sometimes need a break from it, even if the shows are presenting a whitewashed, simplistic version of life.

I am in the process of re-watching Major Crimes, and still enjoy it. I really liked The Closer also and watched it last winter.

I think my all time favorite, re-watched more than twice TV show is the BBC/ PBS 1995 version of Pride and Prejudice.

Save    
Uptown Gal

Not as old as a lot of these...but I will watch "The Lake House" with Sandra

Bullock and Keanu Reeves over and over and over. :)

Save    
Bookwoman

There are a lot of movies I will watch anytime they're on TCM: Casablanca, Now Voyager, The Apartment, Dr Zhivago, Annie Hall, Lawrence of Arabia, etc. I've seen each of them a dozen times, at least.

Save    

Last night we watched What’s Eating Gilbert Grape again. 30 years old and it hasn’t aged a bit, still a fantastic movie.

Bookwoman, years ago I saw Lawrence of Arabia for the first time, a restored version on big screen. It was amazing! If it’s ever played at a theater near you, do go see it that way.

Save    
Bookwoman

bpath, yes, I've seen it that way and it's amazing. We're fortunate to have an art house theater 5 minutes from us which shows older movies all the time, so I've seen many of my favorites on the big screen.

Save    
joanmn

I love the movies from the 30's - 50's. Especially film noir. And on TCM channel.

Anyone ever see "Caged"?

Save    
littlebug zone 5 Missouri

Absolutely. An unexpected benefit of going to internet TV.

I binge-watched all of the Cheers episodes, some of which I hadn't seen. I'm in Cheers withdrawals now and working on Big Bang Theory from its beginnings. Others I watch once in a while are Mayberry RFD and Mary Tyler Moore. DH likes Twilight Zone.

I need to look for Leave it to Beaver and I'm thinking about the old Tonight Show. Does anybody know if they can be found on Hulu? We don't currently have Netflix.

Save    
Jasdip

I had lunch with my friend, and brought up this topic. I mentioned the Thorn Birds and she too loved it, at the time. She'd love to see the Johnny Carson shows, but doesn't know how to find them. They're not on Netflix, Crave etc.

Save    
Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)

There's a few clips on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/johnnycarson/videos

I watch old episodes of Gunsmoke more often than I'd like to admit.

And some Star Trek, especially the original and "The Next Generation".

And a few other older shows, mostly for the background effect. (takes me back to days when I had less worries?)

But few if any new shows except "Ancient Aliens".

Save    
Cherryfizz

I have an antenna tv so many of the stations air "old" tv shows from the 1950s and 1960s. I never get tired of watching any of the Star Trek series. I can watch them over and over. At 8 pm every night but Saturday Star Trek runs all the series in a row on H&I starting with the original at 8 pm, then The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, then Enterprise which ends at 1:00 am. I have my brother and cousin hooked on them now. They had only seen the original series when they were kids. Sometimes we miss The Next Generation because of other comedy shows that are new but we watch the rest of the Star Trek shows until 1 am. haha my brother and cousin are amazed how much I know about the series, the characters, recognize the ships and the various aliens. (My best friend was a die hard Trekker and he had the costume and would attend all the Star Trek fan coventions. He even bought me a Warf doll, communication badges and other various items from the show} While the show is on my brother sits with his phone and looks up info about the characters. If West Wing was on tv again I woud watch that. I loved that show.

Save    

Jasdip, Johnny Carson is on over the air here, I think it’s called Me TV on a local channel, but I think it’s pretty local. Funny, Johnny had a lot of topical humor that doesn’t play as well out of the context of the times.

I saw a joke from Mad About You today, and now I’m craving some reruns of it, such a sweet funny show.

Save    
Cherryfizz

I get Me TV as one of the over the air broadcast channels here in Ontario.

Save    
Annegriet

Northern Exposure. My fave.

1 Like Save    
Lars

We watched When Worlds Collide on TCM tonight (a 1951 movie), and I was surprised that I had never seen it before. My brother and I both liked it very much.

Save    
Jasdip

CherryFizz, you're in the prime location of the province. On the border where you can access Canadian and US OTA stations. Where I live, we're lucky to get 4 stations. We're in a valley, the Niagara Escarpment stops a lot of signals, apparently.

1 Like Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

CherryFizz, I watch H&I pretty regularly as well :-) But when I was married I was pretty much force fed all the Star Trek shows....and Battlestar Galactica, Stargate, Babylon 5, etc., etc., etc......so those I now avoid. But I like the other cop shows - NYPD Blues, Nash Bridges. Monk, Jag and The District.

And West Wing is available on Netflix, if you get that. I re-watch the entire series every now and again. IMO, one of the best shows to ever appear on TV!!

1 Like Save    
Cherryfizz

Jasdip, I am lucky, I get 44 over the air stations but for some reason I can no longer get TVO so I watch shows on the TVO website

Save    
sjerin

Gardengal, my family would agree with your assessment of West Wing. It was a sad day when the show finished.

Save    
Jasdip

I've never seen West Wing. I'm going to put it in by 'tv book' where I have my shows listed. I never binge on one show till it's done, I bounce around from show to show. So having them all written down is a 'must!'

Save    
Annegriet

I finally watched Breaking Bad--I'm several years behind the rest of the world!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides 15 Cool Rooms and the TV Shows They Want You to Watch
Get nestled in with the fall 2014 premieres, some old favorite shows and a coordinating nosh
Full Story
Data Watch Data Watch: Houzz Renovation Barometer Shows a Return to Normal
The majority of home renovation professionals report that business activity has returned to pre-recession levels, though challenges remain
Full Story
Data Watch Decorating Trends: A New Houzz Survey Shows What Homeowners Want
Is the TV gaining or losing ground? Are women or men trendier? Find out and learn more about people’s decorating plans right here
Full Story
Founders Eric Smith and Dan Swain, find joy in creating functional and unique spaces filled with well-crafted... Read More
Our operating philosophy as consulting engineers is based on the belief that each project has a unique solution... Read More