Amazon tracking our reading?

Rosefolly

Very likely. I know they track our purchases. Useful as that sometimes is to me, it also feels like an invasion of privacy, one I have tolerated because it has benefits.

However, according to this article which a friend sent me, they also own Goodreads and track that, too. Now that I did not know. And I cannot think of any benefit which the Goodreads contributors reap from this tracking.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/feb/03/amazon-kindle-data-reading-tracking-privacy

SaveComment6Like
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yoyobon_gw

You can opt to turn off your browsing history on Amazon and it cannot track you.

You can also download , for free, AdBlock.

Save    
Rosefolly

Actually browsing history is the only part I like. Amazon sometimes makes suggestions that I find useful. For that reason I have (so far) permitted the snooping. Thank you for the reminder, though.

I do have AdBlock. I've used it for years.

I am not similarly happy about them watching my ebook reading. Nor do I like the surveying of Goodreads. Imagine how you would feel if they watched this forum. Fortunately I think we are small enough and old-school enough to fall beneath their radar.

Save    
vee_new

Rosefolly, as you say we should be thankful that RP would prove of little value to the 'snooping community'.

Both my S-in-Law and son work in the cyber security field and make us very aware of the dangers involved. It is a hugely growing industry and we ALL should be aware of the power of this new tech world, sometimes for good but too often for bad. Not just minor issues such as what page we are on while reading an 'e' book but the photos we might be storing in some 'cloud', those endless emails and tweet. Who would have thought just a few years ago of the possibility of governing a country by tweet/twitter . . . or choosing a life-partner from a dodgy photo and resume found 'on line'.

And as for stuff such as paying by 'plastic', taking phone calls from crooks breaking into our bank accounts; even contactless payments. That is a really scary one. An elderly woman was interviewed on the BBC and she said how much she loved being able to pay for something just by wafting her purse (containing her bankcard) in the direction of an item she wished to purchase.

It all makes Facebook look very innocent, although even there dangers can lurk for the unwary. Our son advises us to keep away from all the above.

1 Like Save    
woodnymph2_gw

I am very old fashioned, in that I never order or buy anything on line. I also pay my bills the old way, using a checkbook, envelopes, and stamps. While I am on Facebook, I choose my "friends" carefully and am so very careful what I post. I have an unlisted telephone number and screen my calls carefully. I feel sorry for those who have children with access to mobile phones and "aps" that the parents seem to not always be able to monitor. In the US, there seems to be a growing problem of on line predators preying on the young. Today's world is such a scary place for so many new reasons.

1 Like Save    
vee_new

Woodnymph, over here many many elderly folk are prayed on by scammers and millions of £££'s are lost every year by older people who 'trust' someone on the phone who pretend to be a bank manager or a policeman.

1 Like Save    
woodnymph2_gw

That happens often here in the US, as well, Vee. The daily news is filled with these sad stories.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Considering a New Kitchen Gadget? Read This First
Save money, time and space by learning to separate the helpers from the hassles
Full Story
Feel-Good Home Houzz Call: Where (and What) Are You Reading This Summer?
Whether you favor contemporary, classic or beach reads, do the long and lazy days of summer bring out the lit lover in you?
Full Story
Bedrooms My Houzz: A Shared Boys’ Bedroom That’s Right on Track
This room has fun and functional souped-up style for two car-obsessed brothers in San Francisco
Full Story