SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

How do you prep a chicken for roasting?

shambo
4 years ago

I don’t rinse the bird any more. I put on vinyl gloves and replace them when needed. But I cut away the fat and excess skin at the body opening. I also cut away excess skin from the neck region if there is any. Then I blot the inside with paper towels after removing the innards. (I usually simmer the neck, gizzard and heart in some water for broth.) I also snip out the lungs and clean up that area with paper towels. Then I season both the outside and inside before roasting.

A local store has Foster Farms whole chickens on sale, and I’m tempted to purchase two and roast them today or tomorrow. I’m not feeling well today and plan to put in an Instacart order for groceries. I’m wondering about forgoing all my usual prep and just removing the innards bag, sprinkling some seasoning on the top of the bird, and then sticking it in the oven. Lungs still intact and forgoing the excess fat removal. It would take a lot of will power for me to ignore my usual steps. But the idea of a roasted chicken to feed off of for two days is pretty tempting. Otherwise, I’d just stick the bird in the freezer for a better day.

So, what do you think?

Sue

Comments (45)