SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brendon_willis21

Exterior wall awkwardly empty, need ideas (pics included)

Brendon Willis
4 years ago

Our house was built in 64 and has the old school, high-up windows in all of the rooms except for the front living room. We are combining the two bed rooms that are above the garage and making a master suite. We also will probably need to replace our siding within the next several years and the one thing I didn't like when we bought this house was the whole "mount carmel center" look it has going on above the garage. (Google waco siege if you don't know what mount carmel center is)

The windows are too high and too far apart, leaving an awkwardly large gap of siding in between and underneath the windows.

This side of our house faces the southwest and gets quite hot in the summertime in the afternoons and evenings.

I am needing some ideas of what we could do to break up this wall. WIth the heat issue, I have been considering doing EIFS (styrofoam backed stucco, "exterior insulation") on the front of the house, wrapping around the sides enough to make it look right from the curb, and replacing the back half with james hardie siding (less expensive I believe and good enough). With EIFS, they are able to build superficial architectural "things" (trim, posts, etc.) to make it not look quite sop flat and boring, but I don't know what they would do to make this look better.

Also have thought about installing taller or bigger windows, but they are still far apart. SO then should we add one in the middle?

What are some good, timeless exterior materials that we could use to fix this issue? We also considered building a nice carport that would look as it if were a part of the house, to extend out over the driveway from the garage doors with a gabled roof. This would possibly solve the issue, but I still think it might not look great. See pics

Also, what can we replace these cheap shutters with that would look good?

Comments (2)