SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
superlumen

BLUM Hinge Restrictor Clips on kitchen cabinets? How do they hold up?

Super Lumen
4 years ago

Well, here is a new product for me.

I'm about to put in a kitchen. This is not my first rodeo, let's just leave it at that.

In this particular kitchen, cabinet space is at an absolute premium. There is currently going to be a 30" deep refrigerator surround with a 24" wide x 12" deep full overlay cabinet on its left side.

Normally, and in every install I've ever done, I put a spacer there so the door has room to open and then just put hinges with an appropriate opening angle on. In this case that would bring the 24" cabinet down to 21", which in most kitchens is just not a big deal but in this kitchen every last bit of cabinet space is needed.

So, one option here is to change the 24" cabinet to a single wide door instead of two doors, then get BLUM 86º hinge restrictor clips, so that the handle of the door sticks out farther than the front of the refrigerator enclosure when open, and the restrictor clips keep the door itself from banging into the fridge enclosure panel.

Amazingly, I've never used these restrictor clips before, even though I only use BLUM hardware when I can. BLUM is a good product but these clips are plastic. Do they hold up to abuse over time? Will this be a permanent solution? Does that plastic clip have too much "give" so that with momentum the door will still possibly bang the side?

Comment (1)