SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edanz

Rose disease resistance

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Quick question concerning a rose bush's ability to resist disease.

Last year I ordered a number of "disease resistant" David Austin roses rated as "excellent" and "highly recommended" for disease resistance.

They were not bare root, but recently potted bare root roses, if that makes any sense. They arrived in pots, but with warnings about careful planting owing to the fact that the roots had not had enough time to fully grow in the pots.

In any case, when they broke dormancy after planting in the ground, they did very well. They grew well, and to my surprise, most bloomed a fair amount.

During the month of September, all of them developed black spot on their lower leaves. Except for one, most remained looking quite good once the lower black spotted leaves fell off. Now, at the end of January, most still have their leaves on and one or two are still trying to bloom. Only one of them looks quite black spotty now, but my observation is that it got really bad after October, when temperatures dropped and the wet season began (I live in northern Germany).

Now my question: Do roses tend to resist disease better as they get more established in subsequent years following planting? In other words, all things being equal, is it reasonable to expect that these roses will resist black spot better in the future, or is the first year a good indication of how they will cope in the future?

Many thanks to all in advance.

EZ

Comments (6)