Tuffy Update...

share_oh

I really can't wait to get her face cleaned up so she doesn't look so ratty! lol

This was another first - she "snuggled" with her new dad for a while. I sat on the other side and petted behind her ears and whenever I would stop, she'd turn around and look at me. Definitely progressing in learning to like to be touched.

She went to the vet this week. She has an ear infection and some bad teeth. He thinks her discolored paws are from licking, although we've never seen her lick herself at all. But maybe she did it from boredom in her previous caged life? I'm anxious to get her paws shaved but when I let her see the clippers and turned them on she ran for her life!

Sadly she has a rib sticking out her side that you can see, the vet said it was a broken rib that had healed that way. It doesn't hurt her now but I can't imagine the pain she must've felt for a long time after someone broke it.

She had a big adventure last week - she got out thru a hole in the neighbor's fence that lines our yard! My husband has been replacing their slats as they break, but not in the winter. I was afraid we'd never get her back - but an hour's worth of prayers later she was found in someone's garage!

I have a coat that velcros around her and only put it on her when she goes outside. She loves it! Now she's starting to sort of stop running away from me when she sees the coat. Baby steps!

SaveComment28Like13
Comments (28)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bpath reads banned books too

She looks like she’s settling in, and turning into Snuggly instead of Tuffy :)

Someone on our local Lost Dogs FB group mentioned a tracker for dogs, I’m not sure if it’s part of the chip or the collar. If she’s still skittish and might run, she’s small enough to hide easily and a tracker might be useful.

Save     Thanked by share_oh
DawnInCal

Wow! You and Tuffy have made a lot of progress since your original post. She looks like she's starting to like this new life of luxury. :-)

Is she still sleeping in the corner or has she decided to move on to better places?

Boy, I am glad you found her after she escaped. That must have been so scary and worrisome while she was missing. Naughty, Tuffy!

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

In addition to a tracker (great idea), make sure Tuffy is wearing an ID tag that includes her name and phone number. My silly Cocker will run like the wind if he gets loose but he is super friendly and will go up to anyone who greets him and I have gotten several phone calls over the years saying "I think I have your dog here" :-) Once was rather late at night and the lady of the house had just gone out to her car to get something and he jumped in as soon as she opened the door. He thought he was going for a car ride!! He was almost 2 miles away at the time!

Thankfully he has gotten more sedate as he has gotten older and is disinclined to leave my side so this has become less of an issue. Hasn't gotten loose in several years (knock on wood). But he still wears his phone number and a tag that says "I am lost but I have a microchip. Call XYZ".

1 Like Save     Thanked by share_oh
Jasdip

What a cute face!!! How does she get along with your other dog?

A broken rib!? How awful for her!

She's definitely making progress, as are you! She's slowly learning to trust again. Heartbreaking and also heart-warming.

blfenton

I'm glad she's settling in and enjoying her new home.

Marilyn_Sue

Oh how sweet they both are. So good to hear progress is being made.

Sue and Izzi Too

marilyn_c

We pray today, O God, for our friends, the animals, especially for animals who are suffering; for animals that are over-worked, under-fed, and cruelly treated; for all wistful creatures in captivity that beat their wings against bars; for any that are lost or deserted or hungry; for all that must be put to death. We pray for them all; and for those who deal with them, we hope for a heart of compassion, gentle hands, and kindly words. We would be true friends to animals.

Albert Schweitzer

13 Likes Save     Thanked by share_oh
share_oh

She still had her rescue ID tag on. The people called the police and they came and got her - and my husband showed up asking about her after she had just left so he called them and they brought her to our house. She is chipped as well. I saw a tag at WM that was a tracker but it wasn't very long range as I recall. I wanted to do more research before buying one.

She still loves her corner spot on the floor. I pushed the chair cushion over in it one day and she pushed it back out of the way to lay on the floor. But one day I heard her scratching it like she was trying to scruff it up. My other poodle loved to scruff up her blankets. So I put a little blanket down there for her and now she's laying on it instead of the floor. : )

This picture is a one time deal so far. But she's stopped freezing up when we pick her up. She relaxes a little more once we have her in our arms but she still runs every time we reach for her but now it's not as far and not for as long.

She gets along great with the other dogs. I can see her watching them. Now when I get home from work, the other 2 are there to greet me like crazy and she has now joined them! But I can't pet her but I lavish the love on the other 2 and I'm hoping she'll learn that's what happens when mama comes home! lol

3 Likes Save    
murraysmom Zone 6a OH

What a great picture! They both are adorable. Great ideas on having identification on her at all times. I like having the message about being chipped on the tag. As for clipping her paws, hopefully it is only cosmetic and can wait for the time being. Sounds like you are making great progress. Thanks for the update and keep 'em coming!!

share_oh

Yes I forgot to say having the info about being chipped is a great idea - esp since those chips can move and many don't stay in place below their necks where they are originally placed. I always just put our phone #'s on their tags - no names, so I'd have room to add that.

2 Likes Save    
tigereye

You may always have to have the teeth, paws, nail, etc. done when she is sedated. Have you tried one of the vets that come to your house? Our rescue has fear biting (he is okay after introduced) and we are thinking of getting one of the vets that come to your house. We put chicken wire around the bottom of our fence to keep the little dog inside. He is not as scared as yours, we got him at five months, and he is okay now with his teeth, but it is a battle to cut nails.

share_oh

I asked the vet if he thought she could have some type of drug to calm her down when it's time for grooming. He wants to wait and see how she's doing as she gets more used to us. He mentioned maybe Gabapentin, which I've never used before.

While she's fearful, she's not a biter at all. I imagine that wouldn't have been tolerated.

Our side yard where we let them out into is fully fenced with no holes. It was a nice warm day when my husband decided they could all run in our big backyard - forgetting about the broken slats. It was her first time out there running with the big dogs and really enjoying it... till she discovered the hole and all my husband saw was a little white butt going thru... ugh! It really was my biggest worry come true!

3 Likes Save    
nickel_kg

A broken rib? how awful, as if living in a puppymill cage wasn't bad enough, poor thing. Share_oh, you're doing such a good job getting Tuffy to open up to you.

chloebud

So encouraging to read this update! The two faces in your photo show they know they're loved. Wow, you must have been a wreck when she escaped through the fence. Keep the Tuffy updates coming!

nicole___

She's coming along nicely! Such a sweet soul. Love the photo and update. Thank you!

Possible grain allergy, hence the ear infection?

quasifish

So happy to see an update of this cute little pup :) It's nice to see her living the life all dogs should have.

I tend to agree with wait and see for a while longer rather than sedate her for grooming, but she's going to be even cuter when grooming is a possibility. You are doing great things for her with your love and patience :)

The other pup looks like he might like to be invited up for some lap time too!

woodnative

Great job! We used to use Gabapentin for our otherwise laid back cat who became a tiger at the Veterinary office. A pill a few hours before would make him groggy and he would walk like he was drunk. It would wear off a few hours after the vet visit. I am guessing effects would be similar on a dog but that is a question for the Vet.

sleeperblues

Oh that poor little baby (rib). Some people are unspeakably cruel. I'm so happy she is settling in well, she deserves a happy home. You are my hero!

bpath reads banned books too

Will she let you brush her yet?

pudgeder

Bless her heart!! And Bless you for taking such good care of her!

lisa_fla

You can get her a collar with her name and your cell number embroidered on it. No worry about the tag falling off. If your neighborhood has the Nextdoor app, post immediately if it happens again. When we got our dog almost 2 years ago she was 7, heartworm positive and not supposed to do anything other than walking. She was very low energy and walked slow. One day I opened the sliding down to put her on a chain so she could sunbathe but for some reason it was about 2 ft away. Instead of holding her collar like I usually did leading her out, I let go and bent to pick up the chain. She took off a lightning speed! I had no shoes on and started running while calling her. She ran and ran. It was about hot outside! She ran past the backyards of 4 neighboring houses then around a Pond. I was scared because I knew I couldn’t run thru the thick woods barefoot for long if she ventured in. She stopped at the tree line. Now I had her but no leash. I picked her up (54 lbs) and carried her all the way home. I was huffing and puffing. We had only had her a couple of weeks. Maybe she was trying escape to her old house. Who knows? After heartworm treatment was completed I let her off leash a few times ( while wearing sneakers!) and she never did it again.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by share_oh
share_oh

Wow Lisa that was quite an adventure! Glad you got her back.

I actually wrote our phone # on my 2 big dogs' collars. Tuffy's collars would be pretty small - I wonder if it'd be readable to have an embroidered # on there. Right now I like that she has a tag - she jingles so I know if she's running around. lol

bpath we have not attempted to brush her yet. We haven't given her a bath yet but she did get a bottom end "shower" with the sink sprayer. Not to be too graphic but she had what I call a poop butt and needed assistance getting that off... she did not enjoy it but it had to be done! lol

Thank you all again for your kind words and your interest in this little one. I'll let you know how she's doing from time to time. : )

1 Like Save    
georgysmom2

God bless that little dog. I'm so happy she's in a good home now.

tigereye

Share_O, I wasn't clear in the above comment. I wasn't suggesting a sedative for everything, just that if she had to go in, say for a tooth cleaning or removal, when they sedate them anyway, to have as much done as possible then. Such as a nail clip.

share_oh

I agree - if she has to be sedated, we'll do everything needed at the same time! lol

Save    
DawnInCal

She reminds me of the puppet part of the Cheri and Lambchop ventriloquist duo.

Ladydi Zone 7A NW BC Canada

DawnInCal, your right, she does look like Lambchops except for the 'coat as white as snow' HaHa! I think she looks like a sweetheart.

share_oh

Lol - hopefully she will be all white again! I also think she looks like a lamb. If you could see her from behind, her little nub of a tail really reminds me of one.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular Guessing Game: What Might Our Living Rooms Say About Us?
Take a shot on your own or go straight to just-for-fun speculations about whose homes these could be
Full Story
Pets Pet’s Place: Dave the Dachshund Settles Into His Manhattan Home
A couple keep their apartment clean and safe for their young pup and take him on adventures to Central Park
Full Story
Pets Dealing With Pet Messes: An Animal Lover's Story
Cat and dog hair, tracked-in mud, scratched floors ... see how one pet guardian learned to cope and to focus on the love
Full Story
All American Painting Plus is a full-service, owner-operated professional painting & contracting services company... Read More
Our 20+ years of experience in custom home building combined with our in-house design service assures you a... Read More