SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heaven_kincaid

Potted plant mold issues.

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I live in central TN and have an enclosed patio garden as well as some indoor plants. I moved to my current apartment almost 2 years ago from another complex 2 blocks away because they raised they're rent. We moved at the end of spring and my grandma went to the hospital and died over the course of the summer, so I didn't have time for a garden the first year. I had absolutely none of the soon-to-be-mentioned problems in my previous apartment's patio garden or any other garden over the past 7 years. Expose over.

Last spring I started my garden here. My plants have been having mold issues all year. Within the first few weeks I started seeing a dark brown fungus in my pots and if even lightly disturbed it would spew thick clouds of spores. I immediately covered it to dampen the spores, dug it out,and cut my watering regimen in half; it was time anyway because my sprouts were big enough. My soil dried thoroughly between each water. A couple weeks later it was back. I dug it out again, buried the surface with fresh clean dry soil, and added large stones on top. A few weeks later it was back in every small crevice it could find and on the stem bases of my plants. I emptied an economy sized container of ground cinnamon on top of all of my soil; it didn't seem to care and came back again. I trashed all the plants and soil in the effected pots(most of my plants.) This repeated even with completely different brands and types of soil in new pots, including stuff meant for cactuses(I started succulents thinking I'd at least be able to enjoy something.) Now it's dead winter, I haven't watered any of the dormant/cold tolerant plants out there since October, and it's back again. If it can be an issue even when I'm not watering at all(to the point of my plants half-dying and me still not watering) then I'm at a loss for what to do.

Is there anything at all I can do here, short of not having a garden? I don't want to use any chemicals because I have children who enjoy playing on the patio. Taking care of plants really helps with my depression in a way nothing else has prior. I really don't want to give it up but this mold issue is making it so incredibly stressful.

Comments (8)