SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pakmount

What’s an acceptable Quartz seam??

pakmount
4 years ago

What’s acceptable when seaming quarts. This is right smack dab the middle of my island. they said It had to be seamed because of the size.

Comments (39)

• User
    4 years ago

What size is the island? I've seen some pretty huge one piece islands. Either way this is a terrible job. You can even see the seem on the nose of the slab (horizontal) which also tells me this is the cheaper thin stuff. You should have clarified the thickness. I hope you didn't pay to much. But the thickness wouldn't effect how bad of a seem they did. The seem should look like the one on the nose going horizontal.

• pakmount
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

It’s about 4 x 9 about

• Related Discussions

Acceptable Quartz Countertop Seam???

Q

Comments (25)
    "The quartz featured in this post looks alot like Zodiaq Calacatta Natura, which can be ordered in book-matched slabs, by asking for sequential slabs when ordering." pinkparadox: Do you have a citation for your information? Since engineered stone isn't cut from blocks, I don't know why sequential slabs would necessarily book-match. The only book matched engineered stone I've ever seen was at a trade show and was Chinese: These four huge natural stone slabs were cut from the same block in sequence, which is why they book-match so spectacularly.
    ...See More

Should I accept this quartz seam?

Q

Comments (6)
    These days, one can never assume that "professionals" know the proper way to do many things. One always needs to ask first, and yes, we all have tales due to our lack of experience. Sometimes people will ask me why I'm so cynical. I always say I was not born that way but became that way due to bitter experience!
    ...See More

Going to cry...is this counter installation acceptable to you? Seam in

Q

Comments (56)
    I only mean that the guy doing the counter is responsible for the faucet hole placement. He’d have to simulate an installed faucet to see how far that handle goes back. I’d be surprised to see a regular counter guy looking for the faucet handle clearance. It’s not their job to spec the faucets or double check the handle or make sure the sink depth leaves enough room for the faucet and all it’s parts. The KD is responsible for that stuff. If the homeowner is the KD, there ya go. I recently made this mistake. It was my fault. My Rohl faucet handle hits the window trim. But the powder room faucet not centered on the sink, that was their mistake and they had to replace that counter. We can agree to disagree.
    ...See More

Help! Is this seam in quartz countertop acceptable??

Q

Comments (11)
    It's not horrible; the whites are some of the most difficult seam inconspicuously. I'm betting that's not factory color match adhesive. Place a straightedge over the seam please. It shouldn't have a gap and if it rocks, the pieces are out of plane to each other and the bottom of the seamed sides are touching, making it impossible to pull the top of the seam together tightly. The sink can be dropped and the seam sawn apart fairly easily and mess-free; I've done this. Put the pieces on plane, use factory color match adhesive, and pull it together with Gorilla Grips.
    ...See More
  • Kristin S
    4 years ago

Were you given the option of doing the island from a single slab (possibly at additional cost)? At that size it would certainly have fit on one slab, though it might have required purchasing an additional slab for that purpose, depending on your other counters.

• User
    4 years ago

Yeah considering this is the thinner 3/4", there would be a high risk of it breaking. Is this in the kitchen or bathroom? The kitchen should be 1-1/4" thick. Then they could have done a one piece 3'x8' no problem. It really depends how much you paid.

• pakmount
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It’s 2cm thick and then 4 on the edges. It’s a kitchen. I don’t have my measurements. My husband believes is 4x10

• Kristin S
    4 years ago

4x10 might require a jumbo slab, so limit your options a bit more, but it can still be done with a single slab. If you weren't given that option I'd be questioning the fabricator about why.

• pakmount
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We were not given the option of either. the model home was not seamed so I never thought about a seam.

• User
    4 years ago

Slabs come in 9'6"x5'6". Any bigger would require a special order and would cost a lot more. Your slab is 2cm which is 3/4" then an additional piece was added to the nose to make it look thicker. This is very common. But again it depends how much you paid. Regardless, this doesn't excuse the bad seam job.

• Kristin S
    4 years ago

My stone yards routinely stock jumbo slabs of quartz, so no special order required. Since you say model home, I'm guessing this is a tract builder? If so, I would question why the model home had no seam and yours does, and I would also look through your paperwork to see if this is an upgrade they offered. If they didn't offer it as an upgrade, I can see that you would assume yours would be like the model.

• User
    4 years ago

@Kristin S just because your stone yard has jumbo slabs doesn't mean they all do.

• Kristin S
    4 years ago

Absolutely true. But it does mean it's not universally a special order. OP, I would go back to my builder with some questions, and I would also think about what, if anything, I would be willing to spend at this point to get a better outcome.

Hopefully some of the stone experts will weigh in on what, if anything, can be done to improve the current seam at this point.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

I'd hit that with a gray Sharpie and some super glue to fill the voids. I'd look a lot better.

• User
    4 years ago

Taking another look at the pictures its even worse than I thought. First you can see so many chips on the edges its ridiculous. I can cut tile or stone better with my dewalt tile saw at home. Theres no way to hide this unless their taken apart and a proper edge has been made. Even worse, its right by the sink. This is gonna get so bad over time. Second, it doesn't look like the two pieces were "bookmatched" at all. Bookmatching is when matching two or more slabs of stone, so that the two adjoining pieces mirror each other, like an opened book. But since the pattern on this type of stone is so scattered its hard to tell. So not to big of a deal. I would for sure make them fix the seam.

• User
    4 years ago

This is the seam on my 15 year old Corian counter tops. It came apart a little because I was standing on it to hang something a few years ago lol. That's how a seam should look. My sink about 3 feet to the right. (Seam is right down the middle of the picture)

• pakmount
    Original Author
    4 years ago

my seam is square in the middle right through the sink edge and then again in the front sink edge. I’m suppose to close wednesday!

• chiflipper
    4 years ago

No way would I close until this was properly fixed. The edge cuts should not be "chipped" (bad blade), there should be no "smears or globs" of adhesive / filler on the surface, and the seaming should be virtually invisible. Very poor workmanship, no pride in the job, so sad.

• Sammy
    4 years ago

This is the seam on my 15 year old corian (sic) counter tops. It came apart a little because I was standing on in (sic) to hang something a few years ago lol. but (sic) thats (sic) how a seam should look. My sink about 3 feet to the right.

The appearance of the seam in your Corian countertop is irrelevant to this conversation.

• pakmount
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok i am so upset. At our walkthrough he said that this is prob as good as it gets - and these pix are after they supposedly fixed it. (I’m out of state) how does one simply say we won’t close on the house until it’s a guaranteed replacement or fix to look like the model? What if they say sorry this is it? I feel like it’s a very good builder. We did lots of research.

• pakmount
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That sounds so easy haha - I guess we can stay in an extended stay hotel until its done. I wonder how often a builder says, fine don't buy the house? we have so much riding on this closing date - movers, window coverings ordered, special cabinets for a hobby room ordered.....the list goes on. I am so upset.

• lindahambleton
    4 years ago

I am so sorry. Do internet searches. There may be some info out there about how to handle this dilemma. I hope you don’t have to do a do over on your money.

• flopsycat1
    4 years ago

I don’t know what reasonable options might be, but I hope this is resolved and that you love your new home. Good luck.

• lindahambleton
    4 years ago

I just went through a car repair dilemma and I burned up the internet and gat all kinds of information. I even posted here. Lol

• myshabbycottage
    4 years ago

Can you speak with your attorney and get them to make a stipulation to hold some money in escrow so that you can find a remedy that works for both sides? You can then do proper research on how to fix it or get replaced. Come prepared with any documentation you can gather from now till closing that shows that it could be better!

• cpartist
    4 years ago

My shabby has good advice. Talk to your construction lawyer about them holding some money back in escrow until it’s fixed

• badgergal
    4 years ago

My daughter’s island is very long and needed a seam. She also used a gray quartz like you did but unlike your install, her seam is nearly invisible. In the picture below the seam is right down the center of the picture.

I would not accept the seam that you have.

I hope you can get your problem resolved.

• Anne Duke
    4 years ago

That seam is awful looking.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

That’s an awful seam. Careless, sloppy, uneven and ugly. If you didn’t demand correction when you did the walk-through, you may be able to demand it before closing. You may be risking your deposit, but it’s worth a try. At worst, you may end up forking out money for a whole new island top.

• PRO
    Enotive LLC
    4 years ago

That looks terrible. I have a similar quartz with a seam and it looks much better. My island is 10’ x 4’ and it was done in slab.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

" It's about 4 x 9 " Your husband thinks it is 10 feet.

You don't know? Where is your plan with the kitchen on it?

There IS NO island 4 x 9 in quartz, that requires a seam. Even ten feet can be done with no seam in quartz. Your builder is giving you total bull _ _ _ _ , and used leftovers. Re do it. More importantly, wake up and pay attention to the plan and the build. If this is what he did for a seam, I'd be a lot more worried about baths and water proofing.

" I feel like it’s a very good builder. We did lots of research."" Alas.......

Yes But. When you build long distance you need an ADVOCATE, Best is a designer working on your behalf. You need eyes and ears at the site. For ANY build.

He wants your money as much as you want to close. Trust me on that, and that is probably why he tried to fly that seam. A materials issue, the slab broke, who knows? But there is NO excuse for it that I can see, and less for one that poorly done.

• skunst2017
    4 years ago

You should withhold payment of some money ...have it fixed or they have to do it over ..this is not acceptable . And since the model home did NOT have this seam they scammed you with this . You can hold them responsible in any court . Before or after you own it if you make your grievance known with a lawyer letter . YOU DID NOT EXPECT THIS Outcome . INSTEAD you expected it to look like the model kitchen .
    Go to a lawyer ..make a complaint in writing . Give them a one month deadline to fix it , move in ..since you have committed moving in regardless ...and fight with them until it's fixed ...! Do not give in ...no judge in the world or small claims court would think that this is acceptable .

• millworkman
    4 years ago

"no judge in the world or small claims court would think that this is acceptable"

You would be amazed at what in the court of law is considered acceptable. I think that would pass in the court, especially if they agreed to do Josephs sharpie method. A developer will not close allowing any money to be held back in escrow. I am sure your contract is written to protect them a hell of a lot more than your interests. Hopefully your attorney had reviewed your contract prior to your signing. As far as the seam versus no seam in the model, that will be a non-starter as they are allowed to make "minor" changes to a home without anyone's consent (that will be in the contract) plus I am sure they used the made sure the model had one piece regardless of whether they considered it upgrade and or told any one this. Even not closing will more than likely not work as again the contract is written to protect them.

• User
    4 years ago

Me personally, I would be hesitant to start threatening blood sucking lawyers just yet. Most of the time after all is said and done with costs and fees, only the judges and lawyers win. I would carefully go over your contract. Then I would confront your builder on the situation. Explain to him that you have had 3 other professional opinions and the work he did is unacceptable. Hopefully you didn't pay him in full yet and tell him that he will receive the payment when the job is properly finished. If you already paid him, big mistake and this is why. They already have your money and now they don't care. Time to get the lawyers in I guess. I like the good old fashion way, breaking knee caps, your message is loud and clear and they'll think twice before they do it again lol.

• PRO
    Design Loft Bracebridge
    4 years ago

That's definitely not a great seam. Any chance you have a pic from further out?

I don't see anywhere that you say the brand of quartz. Do you know this?

Also, " We were not given the option of either. the model home was not seamed so I never thought about a seam. " Is yours the same size as the model?

• chiflipper
    4 years ago

Is this a huge corporate builder? If so, you need to reach out (phone call & email & and certified USPS mail) to HQ. The "big guys" are very good about making things right even after the close. Small independent builder? All you can do is promise him you will engage in a social media campaign of complaint. Unfortunately, he probably won't care and he surely won't pay for extended stay etc.. So, deep breath, exhale, and let it go.

• millworkman
    4 years ago

Tony Montana, developer house that gets purchased at the end so I would say only the initial deposit has changed hands. The contract is written to protect one person, the developer.

• flopsycat1
    4 years ago

Glad this has been resolved for you! Enjoy your new home.

• lindahambleton
    4 years ago

I am so happy for you. Congratulations.

• Anne Duke
    4 years ago

Post a picture of what it looks like now. It’ll be helpful to others with the same or similar problem.