SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eaw0915

Kitchen Flooring Dilemma

eaw 513
4 years ago

I am planning and pricing a much-needed kitchen remodel. Because I live in an absolute money pit I cannot change the kitchen layout but am tweaking to make it more functional. My largest dilemma is flooring. The dirty-looking white/cream squares with chunks of missing grout and plenty of chips and cracks must go. This flooring extends into the laundry room (last pic) so since this is open it must be replaced too.

The blue grey slate in pic #2 starts in the entryway and runs to the kitchen. It is, however, about 1 3/4 inches lower than the kitchen flooring. The dining room (I’m standing in it shooting the first kitchen picture) is an old narrow plank wood floor that is about an inch lower than the kitchen floor. One other adjoining floor not pictured here is a new 3” wood floor in the office (office opening is to the left of the range wall in last pic). That floor is also in the living room, nightmare story, supposed to be narrow plank.

DH wants to put a floating vinyl plank floor down - I had a hissy fit because I think it would be ridiculous to make the kitchen floor even higher and add some fake wood look next to the already existing wood. Although I’d like to rip out the dining room floor and put the 3” hardwoods there and through the kitchen that is not in the budget. I’m thinking about a 12x24 lighter grey tile since the painted cabinets we are loving are dark charcoal (looking at 2x6 white zellige subway tile in a herringbone pattern for backsplash and white quartz countertops with a waterfall on the peninsula). Would this be a reasonable way to do the kitchen floor since we just can’t afford the wood? If you have any other ideas I’d love to hear them.

Just as a side note, the soffits must go along with the microwave over the range. Both hanging light fixtures will go and can lighting put in. Also looking at replacing 2 cabinets next to kitchen sink window with shelves and adding 2 clear globe pendants over peninsula. Backsplash would go counter to ceiling by sink area too. Lastly, looking into trying to put a pocket door between the laundry room and kitchen. Will post additional kitchen pics in a response to this.

Comments (7)