SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david_d_a

Questioning HRV installation to electric furnace/heat pump duct work

David D'a
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello. My family and I just moved in to our first home this winter and I'm getting familiar with the new equipment. I admit, I'm a complete novice when it comes to HVAC systems although I can't quite wrap my head around the concept of how our HRV is installed to the electric furnace/heat pump duct work.

Below is a picture of the setup in our utility room. I color coded the air flow: blue = cool outdoor air; yellow = ambient indoor air; and red = heated air.

From left to right, the HRV ducting is: 1) outside exhausted indoor air; 2) incoming fresh outdoor air; 3) incoming indoor air; 3) inside exhausted fresh outdoor air.

You can find a copy of the HRV installation manual here https://www.manualslib.com/products/Fantech-Vhr-704-3349523.html.

It's clear that my current setup does not match any of the installation examples:

1 - fully dedicated system - No, my system piggybacks the existing furnace/heat pump duct work

2 - partially dedicated system - No, HRV indoor return is clearly connected to existing duct work

3 - simplified installation_1 - No, although HRV indoor supply is connected to furnace return, HRV indoor return in not.

4 - simplified installation_2 - No, HRV indoor supply is connected to furnace return, not furnace supply.

Perhaps there is an alternative installation, however I don't understand why one would want to exhaust (HRV indoor return) newly heated air from the furnace supply.

When I open the HRV door, I can feel the warm furnace air being exhausted from the home duct work, only to be sent outside.

This is not a new construction. The home was renovated, including HVAC, in 2015.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

And yes, the home was inspected by a professional. And we recently had an HVAC professional come to replace a defecting defrost module on our heat pump. These components were not evaluated.

Comment