Readers live longer..........( probably to finish that TBR pile !)
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (7)
- 6 years ago
Related Discussions
Tell Us About Your TBR Pile!
Comments (33)PAM - you are welcome to come and dig through my shelves at any time. (Actually, all of you are. Just let me know.) And putting the pics up is v easy (now that they've added a step). Here is how you do it: * First, you find and take a photo you want to put in here. Using whichever photo program you have (iPhoto, Picassa etc.), save it and make sure you give it a file name that you can recognize (not IMG123.jpg or something - some meaningful title), and then save it where you can find it again... (Important step.) :-) This could anywhere on your computer, but say it's on your desktop. Note: Change the image title when you're saving it either by during the "save as" step or right-click on the image in your computer file and select "rename". * Open up internet and come to RP (like normal). Come to this set of posts (the TBR pile one). Scroll down to the bottom. * In the "Post a Follow-Up" section (like the place where you write your reactions to the post), at the top of the section (above the message bit); there is a line that says "Image file to upload (optional)" and then there is a box which has "Browse" right by it. * Click "Browse" and find your image file (i.e. the photo that you have just saved). "Browse" will give you access to all your files, you need to dig around a bit and remember where you saved it and what you called it. * Once you have found your photo you want to use, just click "open" on that file upload window (the same kind of window you use to open a normal file). You click on it, press "open" in the bottom right hand corner, and then you should see a trail of letters and back slashes (there "\") in that Browse box. That's good. Go to the message box and just type your message as usual. Then preview message. Bingo. I am still trying to work out how to control the size of the image when you post it, but not there yet. Perhaps this might help. Remember - your computer will not explode if you do something wrong. And it's *very* hard to break it. Just play with it and you'll learn. Promise. :-) Easy peasy....See MoreYour TBR pile.......what are the top three ?
Comments (30)Just out of curiosity, I checked this thread to see whether I had read any of my so-called top three TBRs, a claim I made last January. It surprised me to find that I happen to be reading one of them at the moment - Fatal Grace by Louise Penny - quite by chance, and only because I had an "empty week" to fill with a quick read before I start my next book club selection. I have not made any effort to get around to the other two. How are the rest of you doing with your TBRs from January?...See MoreTBR Challenge
Comments (92)I've actually set it aside for now and am reading different books. We are considering moving to a new location in a different state, though we have run into some difficulties that may prevent it from happening. In any case I thought that if I end up having my books packed for an extended period of time, I might be happy to have a couple dozen or so that I have not yet read, that I could keep by me until we were all settled. The problem we ran into is Tom's hobby, amateur radio, AKA ham radio. It involves using a large antenna tower. While the FCC decrees that by law towers can not be banned, many communities put so many barriers in the way that it is actually impossible despite the law. Personally I can understand restricting them on small lots where they are in your neighbor's face, but surely if you have an acre or more, they ought to be permitted. He actually has two at our current home and we are in the middle of a densely populated area, Silicon Valley. We fell in love with a house and were actually in the process of making an offer when the city told us No Antenna. Now we are starting all over in a different community. I must admit to being deeply discouraged. Personally I don't care beans about ham radio, but Tom has always fully supported my activities, and I support his. If we do succeed, I'll let everyone know our new location. Rosefolly...See MoreYour teetering TBR pile
Comments (27)Leonardo da Vinci is still there, and I still plan to read it. Latchkey is still there, and I probably will read it. I just don't love it the way I loved the first one Archivist Wasp. I skimmed the Librarian of Auschwitz (didn't love it), read City of Blades (loved it) and donated Lessons from the Great Gardeners. I skimmed bits of that one as well. I have added A Brief History of Everyone Who Ever Lived by Adam Rutherford. That one is a library book so I'll have to read or return it before the end of the year. No doubt the holiday will pile the stack ever higher. These of course are only the books actually on the nightstand. There are other books waiting on the bookshelf nearby....See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

HISTORIC HOMESTwo of the Best Friends in American Literature Lived Here
Avid ‘Betsy-Tacy’ readers will want to put these 1890s homes on their must-see list
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESHouzz Readers Share Stories of How They Survived a Remodel
Learn Houzz users’ tips and tricks for living in or moving out of a home under renovation
Full Story
BUDGET DECORATINGReader Laundry Room: A Better Way In for $4,100 in Wisconsin
This laundry room serves as an entrance to the home, but its original finishes lacked personality
Full Story
BEFORE AND AFTERS4 Inviting Living Room Makeovers
See how designers removed walls, brightened up finishes and replaced decor to create these welcoming living spaces
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEWhat’s the Perfect Home Size? Houzz Readers Weigh In
We asked you to tell us your ideal home size. For some, it’s 337 square feet. Others find that 5,000 square feet is still too small
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESWhat It’s Really Like to Live Through a Remodel
We offer a few tips for remodeling newbies on what to expect and how to survive the process
Full Story
DECLUTTERING10 Secrets to a Neat Living Room
Keep the clutter at bay with ‘speed bumps,’ hidden storage and a little-stuff drawer
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNReaders' Choice: The 10 Most Popular Kitchens of 2012
Citing savvy organizational solutions, gorgeous lighting and more, Houzzers saved these kitchen photos in droves
Full Story
LIFEHow to Prepare for and Live With a Power Outage
When electricity loss puts food, water and heat in jeopardy, don't be in the dark about how to stay as safe and comfortable as possible
Full Story
LIFEWe Can Work It Out: Living (and Cleaning) Together
Run a household without fussing and fighting with these ideas for how to work together on household chores
Full Story
carolyn_ky