Harry & David pears

Kathsgrdn

I've been wanting to try them for years. I finally placed an order for pears, apples and cheese. One for me and one for my brothers. They have mostly good reviews but some of them are bad. Have you ever ordered from them and what was your experience? I looked at the fruit of the month but they are way too expensive. I don't have $500 to buy fruit, especially when I read on one review how small the monthly amounts were. Crazy.

SaveComment23Like
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eld6161

I think they used to be better. as they were known for their pears I did not find the pears to be exceptional. That said, they do make lovely baskets and towers. I've always enjoyed it all and recipients enjoyed them as well.

I always keep my gifts under a certain amount.

I wouldn't do the monthly, like you, I think it is too expensive.

Save    
Fun2BHere

It's been many years since I bought anything from H&D. My biggest complaint was that the fruit was too ripe. It went bad before we could eat it.

Save    
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24

I’ve received the pears as gifts and they’ve always been delicious. Just follow their ripening instructions.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Harry and David pears are comice pears and are sometimes large, size-wise. I've received them many times as gifts.

Pear varieties are like apple varieties, not everyone likes the same kinds. I much prefer Bosc pears. I think they have better flavor and I prefer their firmer consistency.

If you want a yummy and heavenly healthy desert, find a French recipe for poached pears. They usually involve Bosc pears, red wine, sometimes a little cinnamon, sometimes a small amount of vanilla. Keep it simple. With decent pears, the flavor will knock you out. For those who don't like to drink wine, the cooking evaporates most of the alcohol. Don't be tempted to substitute grape juice, the flavor is wrong and it's too sweet.

1 Like Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

I love Harry and David Royal Riveria Pears, which are a Comice variety. I received apples from them a year or two ago, and they were disappointingly mealy. (I called to complain and they sent me an alternate choice.) I want apples to be crisp, juicy, and sweet with a bit of tang or snap to them. But I have had their Royal Riveria pears since I was a kid, and they are better than any I can find in a store.

1 Like Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I've never ordered from them but I have purchased various items from their B&M stores. Since I live in a major pear growing state and can get excellent quality winter pears from my local grocer, it never made sense to mail order fresh produce when I can get it so easily and for a better price.

But the non-produce items I purchased were excellent!

Save    
Kathsgrdn

I did look at the gift baskets but they all seemed to have too many sweet items and the one with salmon I thought my brothers might like have bleu cheese, which I don't think they eat.

Save    
nickel_kg

We've given them a few times. They always arrive looking festive, which is nice. But modern grocery stores often have fruit of about the same quality, so the 'specialness' is no longer there -- for me at least.

1 Like Save    
roxanna7

I've ordered the Royal Riviera pears many times -- they are delicious. Best ever, IMO. So large they can be shared! Got two boxes of the family packs (slightly cheaper) the other day, planning to make pear bread (yum) soon. Those pears are the only thing I will order from them.

Save    
dedtired

I recibed the royal riviera pears once and they were so delicious! Unfortunately they all ripened at the same time and I couldn’t eat all of them. I’d still ,love to have them again, just a small box.

Save    
socks

The pears are luscious.

Save    
marcopolo5

Check their site. Had free shipping one day and 20 % reduction another day this week on the pears. I sent them to our GC, always a big treat. Special pricing might still be offered.

Save    
emncarspam

Trader Joe's has their pears for much cheaper. I bought them for $6.99 for 5 pears. They are delicious but I wouldn't spend the Harry & David price plus shipping for them.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

Well, we'll see how they are. They're supposed to be here this week. My brothers' order hadn't shipped, which was weird since I ordered them at the same time and I got an e-mail saying they shipped but when you go to the tracking it says there is no shipment. I may call them Monday if it's the same when I check shipping.

Save    
donna_loomis

Many years ago I was given some Royal Riviera pears as a gift. I was smitten. I ordered a small box for a few years afterward, but they really are expensive. Then I began ordering the Mavericks. Same pear, but a bit smaller and maybe a blemish or to, but the same juicy, drip off your chin juicy, sweet pears. Then I stopped ordering. A couple of years ago I was given some again and later decided to order again, but there were no mavericks on their site anymore. I just can't justify the cost.

Save    
lulu bella

I received a box a few years ago from my boss. I thought they were delicious, but honestly so many that for just my husband and I, it was too much. I appreciated the gift, but I think unless someone has a large family or is entertaining, it's really too much.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

^^ Good point! When they ripen, they ripen all at once and need to be eaten ASAP. You usually get at least 6 pears at a time, sometimes more, and that's hard for 2 people to consume fast enough before they become too ripe.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

They are coming tomorrow. I was planning on giving some to my daughter as she loves pears.

Save    
Mystical Manns

H&D has a store fairly nearby, and I have bought items there a few times. I prefer that to getting the gift package where, as discussed, everything ripens at once. They are pretty wonderful. Got my son a couple of the soup mixes, he really liked those and usually he doesn't like mixes at all.

Save    
share_oh

I had the fruit of the month club many years ago, a gift from a vendor. It was fabulous! Back then there was no internet to look up what I was getting next so it was a lot of fun.

I used to order fruitcake from them for my grandma. She said it was the best she ever had.

I ordered one of their fancy looking towers once for a gift and was shocked at how tiny it was when it arrived! For the $$ it cost, I was expecting a much bigger, more impressive looking gift.

I haven't had any of their pears in quite a while but I remember them being very good. Hope you enjoy yours!

Save    
socks

I saw Harry & David cormice pears at Trader Joes this morning. They came in a box for about $7.

Save    
jakkom

Where we live, the produce has gotten so good and is so widely available, H&D stuff pales in comparison.

What I did find useful was their "small box" fruit of the month club. My mother lived elsewhere, and didn't like driving as she aged, so kept her trips to the barest minimum. My brother lived nearby and would help shop for her, but since she loved fruit, I got her that smaller box membership for several years until she passed away.

She absolutely loved it. Didn't have to remember when something was in season or not, got it delivered to the doorstep, and just the right size for her to indulge for a few days.

2 Likes Save    
Kathsgrdn

The box came yesterday, shared with my daughter. One of the apples was bruised and I thought it would be rotting inside but it wasn't, very crisp and delicious. The pears aren't quite ready to eat but they will be soon by the feel of them.

I looked into the monthly club because the fruit here is awful. I still can't justify the cost.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Modern Style New Classics: David Trubridge's Coral Pendant Light
Shadow play and sculpture mingle in this organically inspired light fixture with an environmental conscience
Full Story
Wall Treatments Modern Icons: The Fantastic Geometry of David Hicks
Designer's daring prints live on in wall coverings and fabrics
Full Story