Your favorite cake for Christmas dessert?

eld6161

I usually make my own dessert, along with the traditional Christmas cookies. But, this year I have decided to buy one from a really good bakery.

I usually make something with apples. But.... since I am buying, maybe a chocolate layer cake?

or should I go with a white frosted cake?

Youngest is trying to stay away from dairy. I know.....I know.... it will have dairy but I don't want the usual suspects like a cheesecake or a totally cream-filled cake.

I'm going to talk to the manager this week to get some ideas.

SaveComment25Like
Comments (25)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bookwoman

How about a Bûche de Noël? It's the classic French Christmas cake, and it's delicious.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by eld6161
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Bûche de Noël filled with chestnut puree is one of the things I wait for all year.

Save     Thanked by eld6161
Cherryfizz

I make trifle or steamed pudding with whiskey sauce

Save     Thanked by eld6161
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

No cakes with my family for Christmas - not big cake eaters at all. Except I am one of the few that really enjoys a good fruitcake (traditional English style please!) but just for snacking on, not for dessert. Christmas dinner dessert is usually a trifle.......now and again a steamed plum pudding with hard sauce.

Save    
bpath reads banned books too

We don‘t do cake, either. We have a traditional Danish rice pudding, then cookies, or one year I made individual baked alaskas, or my aunt serves ice cream sundaes with homemade chocolate sauce, so good and really quite refreshing after dinner. But, all of those are dairy. Really, we often have just cookies With coffee or tea.

I was looking at Delish, the Hanukkah desserts page has a delicious and stunning-looking caramel apple upside-down cake!

3 Likes Save    
arcy_gw

It all sounds sooo yummy!! I give myself a pass on special deserts for Christmas. I do so much baking of cookies and candies we eat an array at each meal for dessert. I applaud your energy ladies!!

Save    
Rusty

No cake for Christmas dessert for any of my family. Strictly pies, apple, pumpkin, pecan, and occasionally, a cherry pie for one of the grandsons, and a mince pie for me.

Rusty

Save    
maddielee

If a cake is required I would buy a good cheesecake or maybe a raspberry filled white cake with butter cream frosting. We usually have so many cookies and other sweets available a dessert is not planned.

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

I used to have a recipe - made it once or twice, decades ago - for Christmas Cake. That is what it was called! IIRC it was a nut cake; might have had raisins, and perhaps flavored with orange or lemon. I think I got it from my Kentucky born grandmother. I just googled and didn't find anything quite like I remember. I did see some good looking English fruitcake (not with citron or candied fruit) called Christmas cake.

Plum pudding is good, too.

Save    
Michele

My first attempt at making my mom’s buche. Mocha. It tasted great. That was beginners luck. I think it came out better than last year’s.

I’ll try again this year. It’s tradition.

5 Likes Save    
Fun2BHere

We make a carrot cake because that's my father's favorite. It's the kind that is soaked in orange juice and has no icing.

Save    
morz8

No holiday cakes here either, our winter holidays are pies only. Blackberry, pecan, pumpkin, apple...everyone has a favorite. We aren't that large a family so there is always some to send home. I've had fruitcake I liked, but don't make them and no one has offered me any in the last few seasons.

That apple upside-down cake looks quite good! DH's birthday is 5 days after Christmas....think he would like it, I've bookmarked the recipe.

Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

Ever since our first grandson was born on Christmas Day, we have had birthday cake and usually another option for dessert. This year, with my sister's kitchen going through a remodel, we will have the favorite family chocolate birthday cake with peppermint ice cream only. I have always relied on my sister to make and refrigerate the Christmas dessert since our refrigerator cannot hold a dessert as well as all the rest of the ingredients for Christmas lunch and dinner. Grandson will be 13, and he now loves the family chocolate birthday cake recipe, and I no longer need to order a bakery cake with a fancy Christmas frosting scene.

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Michele, that is a fantastic looking bûche.

1 Like Save    
desertsteph

for many years I made a pistachio bundt cake but haven't done that in many decades now. I haven't even made Christmas cookies in many decades. Ran across my cookie cutters recently and have decided to get rid of them - I'll never use them again. I think I got rid of the bundt pan many years ago.

Save    
arcy_gw

When my mom's grand children were little we would have bday cake on Christmas eve to celebrate Jesus's bday...I suppose this is where the holiday cake evolved from.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I've become such a fan of Costco cakes...their tuxedo cake is fabulous and their chocolate cake is to die for. My cousins usually bring one of their cheesecakes for xmas which is so yummy. The ingredients list is readable, unlike so many grocery bakeries, and it's cheap...our regular grocery store sells a cake half the size for twice as much and no where near as good.

In the past though, I've gone with either an iced sheet cake of some sort, or a glazed bundt cake...

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/07/one-bowl-chocolate-chip-bundt-cake-recipe.html with a chocolate glaze on top

https://www.alattefood.com/apple-spice-bundt-cake-with-a-vanilla-glaze/

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/applesauce-chocolate-chip-bundt-cake

And I've made the chocolate chiffon bundt cake from Cook's Illustratred.

Save    
Michele

^Thanks Zalco! It was difficult because my mom, believe it or not, never used a written recipe. Trying to figure it out with her was a challenge. ;)

Last year I ordered little figures to decorate the cake with. They got here in January! I forgot about them. I found them yesterday when we opened our Christmas decorations!

1 Like Save    
maddielee

another good cake that you make a few days before Christmas is the Bacardi recipe for rum cake.

• 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

• 1 18 1/2 oz. package yellow cake mix

• 1 3 3/4 oz. pkg. Jell-O Vanilla Instant Pudding and Pie filling. (Even if pudding is already in the cake mix.)

• 4 eggs

• 1/2 cup cold water

• 1/2 cup Wesson oil

• 1/2 cup Bacardi dark rum

• GLAZE:

• 1/4 pound butter(cube)

• 1/4 cup water

• 1 cup granulated sugar

• 1/2 cup Bacardi dark rum

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan, or 12 cup Bundt pan. Sprinkle nuts over bottom of pan. Mix all cake ingredients together. Pour batter over nuts. Bake 1 hour. Cool. Invert cake onto a serving plate.

FOR GLAZE: melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in the water and sugar. Boil five minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in the rum. Prick all over the top of the cake. Drizzle and smooth glaze evenly over top and sides. Allow the cake to absorb the glaze completely. Repeat until glaze is used up. Have waxed paper underneath and continue to scoop up the glaze and add it until the cake is saturated. This is a rich, moist cake. A dollop of whipped cream can be added for a special touch.

3 Likes Save    
nickel_kg

eld6161, does your bakery have a specialty cake, maybe? At a bakery, I'd go for a classic such as white cake, raspberry filling, lovely white frosting.

If baking at home, that Bacardi Rum Cake maddilee posted sounds fantastic....

Save    
lisa_fla

My oldest was born on Christmas so she chooses the cake. It’s always angel food.

Save    
sprtphntc7a

Always Red Velvet, made from scratch!! YUM!!

Save    
Michele

Hi Lisa. My younger daughter turns 25 on Christmas Eve! Husband’s is 12/3, older daughter turned 28 on 12/6 and my youngest, my son, turns 19 tomorrow! Yes, it’s crazy!

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

That bacardi rum cake sounds very much like the old Harvey Wallbanger cake...always a hit with the family...it's made with orange cake mix and orange juice and galiano and vodka...in the cake and in the icing.

Save    
provogal

I always make Hazelnut Torte in addition to Xmas cookies. Super easy and delicious.

4 eggs, 3/4 cup white sugar, 2 Tbsp. flour, 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1 cup hazelnuts (filberts).

Mocha filling: 2 Tbsp. soft butter, 1 cup icing sugar, 2 Tbsp. hot strong coffee, 1 tsp. cocoa, 1/2 tsp. vanilla.

In blender, whirl eggs, and sugar until thoroughly mixed. Add flour, baking powder and hazelnuts. Blend at high speed. Pour into 2 grease 8 inch layer pans (I add a circle of greased parchment to the bottom as well). Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. Make filling by creaming butter and icing sugar (add sugar gradually to make fluffy . Add coffee, cocoa and vanilla. Beat well. spread between layers. I dust the top with icing sugar or you can top with whipped cream.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Product Picks Guest Picks: Fall Entertaining Favorites
Make autumn feasts a piece of cake with chic compostable plates, pretty glasses, pie accessories and more
Full Story
Life 5 Home Cooks Share Their Favorite Family Recipes
Peek inside the kitchens of these Houzz users and learn how to cook their time-tested, passed-down dishes
Full Story
Edible Gardens 10 Foodie Favorites to Kick-Start Your Edible Garden
Get ready to plant these herbs and vegetables this spring to bring gourmet flavors from your garden into your kitchen
Full Story
Nova Installations Inc. Chantilly, VA specializes in exterior home improvements, such as replacement windows and... Read More
At Bull Run Kitchen and Bath, we are dedicated to providing professional service and work hard to ensure that our... Read More