SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwowski

Living Room Decor

Michelle
4 years ago

Please help! I've posted a couple times but didn't get much feedback, so figured I'd repost in hopes to get some help. I'm in need of some suggestions/advice on how to finish decorating my living room. My biggest problem is figuring out what to put above the couch. I feel like the current pieces don't fit with the transitional/traditional feel I'm going for. I'm looking for any recommendations on what exactly to put there. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Comments (49)

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Groupings of uneven numbers are more interesting. The long painting left of the door is too wide for the space it is in. Try it hung above the sofa. The piece above the mantel is too dark and looks almost like a second firebox opening. Try it elsewhere and look for a more lively piece to hang in its place.

• Related Discussions

Need help with living room decor. Room is open concept to kitchen

Q

Comments (5)
    I would start out with a large, beautiful rug in warm colors (terracotta or red Oriental rug mixed with other colors. I feel sectionals often confine you in how to organize your room. I would choose a fabric couch in a neutral, not too dark color (not gray, which is on its way out and not a warm color), and add two chairs in a different color or at least a different material and style. Try to keep the height of these pieces similar. Two end tables in wood (they don't have to be the same, but make sure the heights are fairly similar and a metal and glass coffee table would look great, with table lamps or floor lamps even if you have overhead lighting, which is always harsh. Pick colors from the rug for pillows and you'll have a beautifully coordinated living space. Books, good paintings and some tall plants will add warmth and personality to your room. People too often don't add these elements and then wonder why their rooms look bare and cold. This may be more colorful than you want to go. and this is a small rug because there is carpeting underneath, but it gives you the idea of neutral furniture and how it can be made more lively with accessories, pillows, coffee table styling etc.
    ...See More

living room decor

Q

Comments (10)
    I would start with a much more colorful rug it does not have to be boho but needs color. If that is real plant go for it if fake the garbage is where it belongs . I am not a huge lover of coffeetable stuff so a simple orchid real plant is all I woudl do. Can we see the other walls just post more pics in a comment do not start another post .This type of rug gives you some colors to pull for pillows IMO a bit larger than the ones yu have and remember if your guests need to remove pillows to be comfortable then you have too many
    ...See More

Living room decor ideas

Q

Comments (1)
    Your sofa is neutral color, so any color would work.
    ...See More

living room decor ideas

Q

Comments (1)
    An indoor swing? Go for it. If you get tired of it then take it down.
    ...See More
  • Olychick
    4 years ago

You room is very nicely done, but for the art needing some tweaks. I agree with others who say to try the painting above the radiator over the couch. I don't think the pieces about the couch are very inviting nor do they fit with your room's style, so I wouldn't try them elsewhere. And something brighter above the fireplace could really make that area outstanding. It's difficult to suggest what, because art is so personal, but if you find something you like, post a pic in this thread and people will say if they think it's an improvement.

• katrina_ellen
    4 years ago

I'm assuming that's a tv above the fireplace? IMO the hangings over the sofa don't do much for the room. I think you've done a great job, but I would add color. I think the long rectangular art to the left of the doorway is too long for that space. I would try that behind the sofa. If if it worked I would pull colors out of it for cushions.

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

Where is TV in this room? Across from sofa? I agree with switching the long art above radiator to above sofa. Sell/donate the pieces above sofa— to contemporary looking. Can you try piece over mantel over the radiator and something lighter/brighter/colorful over the mantel. Something similar in color way to the longer horizontal piece. That will balance color on both sides of room.

• Michele Ludwig
    4 years ago

I love your flooring can you tell me what type of flooring it is? Maybe brand and color if you know. I have same trim and its been so hard for me to choose flooring for my own house. Thank You!!

• ilikefriday
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Hi Michelle. Beautiful room. Here is the problem:

-there are too many pieces of art in the room.

-not every space has to be filled.

-one large main piece of art should go over the sofa. None of the art you currently have works there.

Here is what to do now:

-take down all of the art and find a piece you love

Question: is that a tv over the fireplace?

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

I agree the work above the sofa doesn't sing in the room and the piece on the left could benefit from more breathing room. Find a piece of art that makes your heart go pitter-patter. So much fun in the discovery. Not much benefit to strangers on the Internet suggesting "exactly what to put there". :) (I know ilikefriday's mockup was a gallery wall suggestion.) Your house is absolutely gorgeous. Can't get over those bones!

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

First off, you have a lovely home with great details! Your furniture and placement is great!

However, I feel like the art in the entire space is amiss. Although, the proportions of the fireplace piece and two hanging frames are great. I would start over for the whole room. For the two framed pieces I would get two black and white family photos to put in there. For over the couch and above the mantle I would invest in a couple art pieces from the same artist. Here's one of my favorite artists currently, Lisa Golightly, which I think would work well in your home:

(Also, her Instagram has a lot of her "painting exercises" which you can message her to buy at a more affordable rate than her finished framed pieces on her website)

If you don't like her I would look on Etsy for some affordable and original artwork. There are a lot of artists out there that are talented but not yet "discovered."

Hope this helps!

• Michelle
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We've tried the piece above the radiator above the couch and it doesn't seem to fit well. The piece above the fireplace is not a TV, it's a print but we didn't realize that we need non-glare glass until we recently hung it up. Hopefully non glare glass will help it not appear so dark and reflective, but I agree that a brighter piece would probably work better. The TV is across the sofa.
    I know artwork is considered personal, but I am so design challenged that I would love any suggestions of pieces. Thanks to everyone so far for taking the time to comment and for your advice!
    Also, Michele Ludwig our floors are original from 1930!

• Michelle
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is another angle

• Michele Ludwig
    4 years ago

AMAZING!!

• Anne Duke
    4 years ago

Aside from art, I’d update the sconces and get lamps using off white shades. Even the small table by the door will benefit from a lamp. Your home and everything in it is beautiful.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

If the fireplace print has any value, be aware that non-glare glass can have a damaging effect. I think the warm colored art is just going to conflict in this room, and the 4 pieces above the sofa are just too busy and contemporary for it.

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

Have you tried a reading/floor lamp next to one of the 2 chairs by the fireplace. Seems like a cozy spot for reading. You could even temporarily try the floor lamp behind the corner of your sectional and replace that one with a tall arching lamp. I don't see ceiling lights/cans, so that might offer some central light for evenings/nights if needed. And then a lamp on the side table by the sofa/door. It's really a beautiful room.

• Michelle
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Any thoughts on these pieces for above the couch? too contemporary? also, would it look ok to do two of the same prints (hung in opposite orientation), as one may look odd because the wall space is so large

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

They look too contemporary to me. How much space do you have? Someone can probably suggest a scale mockup of options. I would not use the same print but certainly consider two works from the same artist.

• katrina_ellen
    4 years ago

Everything is so large in the room, I think I would break up the wall with a gallery style art hanging.

• jmm1837
    4 years ago

I disagree that there is too much art in the room, but I don't think the pieces work all that well together. I'd ditch the pieces over the sofa entirely, fina another spot for the big piece on the small wall, and start building a gallery of oieces over the sofa. I do think the very contemporary pices clash a bit with the traditional ones and your overall style, so I might lean towards getting more traditional art.

• Angel 18432
    4 years ago

I would remove the metal art above the sofa and get something larger.

The 2 blue chairs, have them face the sofa (looking towards French doors).

• hollybar
    4 years ago

What are the dimensions of the wall above the sofa from the bottom of the molding to the top of the sofa and then, from the door frame to the window frame? Agree that the piece above rad looks squashed.

Edit: Also, can you share a close pic of the art above fireplace? and something to consider for large art prints https://juniperprintshop.com/pages/ikea-canvas-style-frame-tutorial

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

I think any of these could work over the sofa and then a coordinating piece for over the mantle:

These are all from Target. Not that I'd do all of these together but choose one main piece of art and then go from there.

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

If the fireplace print has any value, be aware that non-glare glass can have a damaging effect.

I missed this comment earlier. I've never heard of this before, decoenthusiaste. Can you explain?

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

The pits in the glass that make it non-glare can hold residue of the chemical used in the process, and that chemical can degrade your art.

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Wow. I had no clue. Thanks for this info.

• Michelle
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The dimensions above the couch are: bottom of molding to top of couch is 55 inches and from door frame to window frame is 127 inches

• Michelle
    Original Author
    4 years ago

this is the print above the fireplace, obviously appears much darker in our room

• Angel 18432
    4 years ago

Just a thought. Move those 2 heavy chairs to the sofa side and put the 2 blue single chairs facing the fireplace. Facing, the fireplace.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Here you go

• Michelle
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That's very nice, do you by chance have a link for that? I would like to see what it's dimensions are

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Sure.

https://www.greatbigcanvas.com/view/blue-layers,2121315/?product=1&s=f6QTochkRJlNC6KAzeReJyctMRujp4ZDKmp4zph8I3jvLMgwwKL1pQphKHwcJ

The finished size in a floating frame is 61.5 x 31.5. My bad, I actually created this slightly taller than it will look in reality. (most of their 60 wide art is 40 high.). However, I think it would still look great.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Like CDR's peaceful blue! ... In a 'neutral way' saying that the metal pieces seemed to add confusion as though the window panes had morphed bad into squiggles... sorry. In a large entry or such, better.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

I wanted to mention.....I have no idea what your art budget or "quality antenna" is. That ranges from "I am fine with art from Kirkland's" to "I'll buy only a custom piece. Nothing wrong with either or somewhere in the middle.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Fireplace. I'd remove the art on the walls on the right and left. Too much art.

1Temporary · More Info

• PRO
    Styldod
    4 years ago

Hi Michelle. I'm Neha. I generated a mock-up of your room to help you choose the perfect art for your walls. Here are some examples.

If you have any specific piece/wall art in mind please feel free to share so I can use it in the room to give you a better visual.

• Michelle
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thoughts on this piece?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Feels heavy for the space.

• Michelle
    Original Author
    4 years ago

dimensions are 60x40

• Bluebell66
    4 years ago

I think the colors work, but it feels too tall and weighty....maybe it’s the thick dark grey swath across the lower third of the piece that makes it feel heavy. I think the length is fine. Pretty room!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

You have a busy rug and then you are introducing this busy art. The room is calling for something calm.

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

Personally I like the art. it gives a little punch to the room. My only question is are you keeping the art piece on the left side of the door? Can you take a pic of the room so we can see those two pics together? the two together may be a little busy. What do you think?

• salonva
    4 years ago

I also think the new piece works, although it is a bit heavy looking but it definitely works. I think you have lovely taste and your room is laid out so nicely.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

I am assuming you are just propping this up for now, but art should be lowered.

If you want to use that art, you need more visual weight on the sofa....so I would bring in some more deep blue and introduce deep green pillows.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

I like it a lot in your room. I'd lower it so the top of the frame is about even with the top of the window and add some pillows as suggested by CDR.

• Michelle
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone so much for your help! We did fall in love with that piece, and have decided to go with it. I hesitated because it is heavy, but thank you CDR for the advice on the pillows to help balance it.
    Also, I know people had comments about the heavy and dark art above the fireplace, also that it looked like a TV screen, so we did some rearranging. What does everyone think? The Garland on the mantle is just for the holidays. The large piece near the fireplace was a custom piece from Peru, so we have a hard time moving it somewhere else in the house where it's not on full display.
    We are hanging the large print above the couch tonight, so I will post pictures tomorrow.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

The Peru art does not work there. Suggest finding another place for it where it can shine by itself.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Tips for the space

-if possible, remove the leg of the sofa that is in front of the French doors and make sectional into a sofa. Then, pull the chair and sofa closer together. That would be a game-change if you could do that.

-remove Peru art.

-remove the sconces

-put third small art above the fireplace with the other 2. Nothing on those adjacent walls

-c tables by the fireplace chairs. Remove the tray on the ottoman. A lighter feeling ottomans would be nice but not 100 percent necessary

-large arc lamp by the sofa.

-Room needs some softening. drape panels on outer windows only of French door area. (would have to cover windows slightly due to radiator, so I'd buy semi-transparent). On both sides of window by sofa. On outer side of windows by fireplace.

-jewel-toned pillows on chairs and/or sofa in rust, blue and green.

-remove the large chest from under the window by the fireplace. Add a shallow table that fits in the inset.

• salonva
    4 years ago

@CDR Design, LLC has some very good suggestions, and that along with your great room looks like a winner to me.

I don't think the art that poonam posted has much relevance to your space.