Speaking of a Buffet Line

CA Kate z9

Whatever happen to those electric buffet dishes that all plugged into each other? Did they not work? I am wondering how you all keep the food warm for second helpings.

SaveComment13Like
Comments (13)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Save     Thanked by CA Kate z9
Cloud Swift

I find that most food stays warm enough. We use the family room side of our island for the buffet. Rolls or pita might be wrapped in a towel in a basket to keep warm. The cooktop is on kitchen side of the island so if serving something like a soup that I want to keep hot, it can be served while on a burner turned low.

Jim Mat

In a family home; microwave

amylou321

We have a couple methods. My mom and sister both have some chafing dish type setups that they bought for a very reasonable price at Sam's. The kind that you light the sterno underneath a pan of water and put the pans of food in. Also between us we have lots of crock pots,which have proved useful for things like meatballs and certain hot dips among other things.

plllog

I have a couple of electric hot trays inherited from family. They work very well for the things that must be piping hot, though I agree than most food stays warm enough without. Salton, right?

foodonastump

Our Thanksgiving buffet includes several hot plates. Not enough for my taste, as I like my food hot not warm.

lindac92

I used to have a propane heated small hot plate.....don't know where it is....think it lent it and it never came back.....used Ronson propane for fuel.

Fun2BHere

I remember seeing those linked chafing dishes, but I don't remember who made them. We have a Salton electric hot tray plus a chafing server like this:

Ours is some off-brand from QVC and you can either use two larger inserts or three smaller ones like in the pictures. Add a crockpot for the gravy and everything stays at a food-safe temperature throughout the meal. After the meal, I cover and refrigerate everything. Later, if people want to put together take-home packets of leftovers, they can remove the dishes from the refrigerator, but I don't want any food sitting out for hours.

Fun2BHere

Found them...by Crock Pot.

CA Kate z9

Fun2BeHere: Thank you for finding this. I hadn’t thought of looking on CrockPot. I liked that server you posted. Do you know the brand?

1 Like Save    
lizbeth-gardener

Not Fun2Bhere, but the posted one is an Oster and if you google Oster hot serving tray, several places have it for sale including Amazon and Target. It does look like a good solution for keeping things hot.

1 Like Save     Thanked by CA Kate z9
Fun2BHere

Thanks, @lizbeth-gardener, for identifying the Oster chafing tray for @CA Kate z9. I didn't get back to this post until now.

CA Kate z9

Thank you for the info. I’ll look that up tomorrow.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen of the Week Kitchen of the Week: Simple Lines and Bold Color
When imagining a new look for this space, the designer started with orange
Full Story
Storage Buffet, Sideboard, Server, Credenza: What's the Difference?
Learn the definitions and details to make shopping for dining room storage furniture less confusing
Full Story
Rustic Style Classic Country Style Speaks to a New Generation
Homespun touches like animal accents, rodeo art and rustic colors help bring traditional country style to any room in the home today
Full Story