SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nico1026

1 Room, 3 Challenges - all advice welcome

nico1026
4 years ago

We just moved to a new state, and into this very Mediterranean style home. Not my personal favorite, and needs to be addressed, but it has some great features and so much I love about it. On my long term wish list includes paint, trim, cabinet evaluation but in the short term, I am STRUGGLING bad with my family room and I need help and advice. Everything is on the table - furniture, artwork, layout, window treatments, paint ideas, etc.

It seems like all the features it has are great on their own, but together are a mess. And none of my old stuff works at all with this style or floor plan and I'm about to cry :( Here are some pics - forgive the light - it's pouring rain today...

My problems here (I think, but maybe you have others) are:

1. The layout is really tough - huge corner fireplace with stone to the ceiling on one wall, huge window on another wall in the middle of an open concept means that there's everywhere and nowhere to actually place the furniture (and yeah, this is our old furniture so it doesn't work, but we have to sit somewhere while i figure this out). The room is where we watch TV, and there's only one wall for it so we have to keep it functional. I know the sectional has to go, but IDK what to replace it with (2 couches, a couch and 2 big chairs, what colors, knowing I want to lighten up this look, etc., etc.)

2. There's nothing anchoring the room - all other rooms have either some cool stacked trim, or beams or tile swoops or tongue and groove boards, and this room has nothing on the ceiling so it feels like a huge 2 story vast wasteland of dead space. It makes everything I have look dwarfed and it doesn't feel very comfortable. I desperately miss my cozy farmhouse with 8' ceilings and closed floor plan right now. How do I create a more inviting space? Do I need to look at built-ins on the TV wall? Do I need to get something on the ceiling? Do I need trim work? Do I need curtains? Could it be solved a different way? Which brings me to...

3. Everything is getting compounded by THESE ANNOYING WINDOWS - I love our view, and I love the light, but I literally hate these windows right now. The arches are different sizes and shapes, there's no trim, and IDK if I have to find a way to embrace them with curtains or something (which is not really my style), or do something drastic like replace them with something different (my husband will murder me if that's the case). Or if I fix the other 2 problems, if this one becomes less of a thing.

As you can tell, I'm getting really confused because I can't figure out what to address first. I could really use your help and advice.

I really love warm neutral, textured cozy rooms with ivory/tan/leather, some subtle patterns and natural fiber materials, so that's how I was going to start bringing things in. I do love color when I see it in other houses, but every time I try to put color in mine, I really end up hating it... IDK why that is.

I started buying a few new things, but a lot of them are just not working, so I need to stop and regroup.

Anyway, thanks in advance for listening and for your thoughts!

Comments (88)

• Kate W
    4 years ago

Following

• thartman
    4 years ago

Start simply with two key steps: 1) Paint the walls with whatever shade of white is JUST warm enough to go with the stones in the fireplace. This will lighten up the space and provide some contrast to break up the BIG TAN BOX feel. After this you may find that your sectional looks great in the space. 2) remove or simplify the mantle as others have suggested. After doing these two things I bet the next steps will come much easier.

nico1026 thanked thartman
  • Related Discussions

veggie newbie -- all advice welcome

Q

Comments (3)
    I think 3 x 8 is a little small for your desires. Are you planning to make raised beds from lumber or other material to contain the beds? If so, and you plan to use lumber, you should use multiples of 4 feet for your bed since most lumber comes in 8, 12, 16, 20 foot lengths etc. By using multiples of 4 feet you won't waste lumber. I could see you building 4 x whatever bed(s) and allow a few feet between the ends: :------------: +++:------------: :~~~~~~~~: +++:~~~~~~~~: :------------: +++:------------: etc., using any dimension for the length 8, 12, 16 As far as the blueberries, I think I would put them in a separate bed. I think their nutritional requirements and PH (don't they like acid conditions) might require segregatiaon from your veggies. Also, remember plants like tomatoes take up lots and room and they shouldn't be planted too close. It is good to have space between the plants for good air circulation. Advise using staking to support the tomatoes (especially if they are indeterminate varieties) and "suckering" to get larger tomatoes for eating and slicing.
    ...See More

Help me add some polish to my guest room - all ideas welcome

Q

Comments (59)
    Thanks for the feedback on the curtains. It sure is easier for me to do....nothing! Of course my dog has already managed to get tangled up in one and pull the entire thing (including rod) off the wall. And in less than 48 hours since hanging too! Thats gotta be some sort of record. Hopefully that doesn't happen again. Geokid, I wanted it your way too, and when we moved in tried to get it set up this way. I was vetoed and since I got to pick placement of every other room, I didn't argue too much. I can't recall the problem....maybe the dresser didn't fit on that wall? Some weird feng shui thing? nosoccormom - that light will likely be replaced with the oh so functional but not always attractive ceiling fan when we get around to it. It's close to a 100 year old house. It's been remodeled/rehabbed but not quite sure of how well it was insulated and how HOT it will get up there. We have lots of pretty windows, but they probably won't help much. Thoughts on a chair? It will obviously have to be small. I would love a pop of color over in that corner (I like color) but am not confident that I will find one that matches the rug. So how would another color like coral look? Too much?
    ...See More

Please help with basement layout! All advice welcome

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks for the suggestion! We were originally planning to mount the TV on the wall opposite of the windows. As it is placed right now, every seat on the couch would have a good view of the TV on that wall. We have considered moving the couch farther back (closer to the windows) which would create more space away from the pole but then also farther from the TV. In order to place the TV on that long wall, we would have to place the couch on either side of the pole, which I’m not sure it will fit. I’m definitely open to trying a different configuration but also wanted to avoid walking into the space and immediately seeing the back the couches. Another issue with having them in the corner is I didn’t want to have this big space but then only use utilize 1/4 of the room.
    ...See More

All advice welcome

Q

Comments (10)
    We're doing something similar now - adding about a master suite 500sf to a house originally built in 1951. Existing square footage is about 1850. Our house had 2 previous additions in the 1980s - full height second floor and then a one-story back addition a few years later. We're bumping up the back addition. All I can say is find a great architect and structural engineer. Our architect is totally practical and has been working with our contractor every step of the way. The structural engineer has also been key even though I've never actually met him! Once demo started they found a lot of surprises about the framing and other issues that have required creative (and in some cases expensive) solutions. You're smart to take your time; you can probably see from my history that I posted here a bunch before I really had a plan. I learned a lot from reading and occasionally asking advice from all the smart people on these forums. I have a million more questions now that I have to make all kinds of design decisions!
    ...See More
  • Jj J
    4 years ago

A favorite image from my idea book, maybe some inspiration?

nico1026 thanked Jj J
  • calidesign
    4 years ago

Warm white paint for the walls, a new mantle, and replace your end tables with solid darker wood tables. I think all the rest of your furniture can work. You can have a Mediterranean house and still decorate it in a transitional style and make it work. Your current rug is the perfect style. Don't add a bunch of Mediterranean accessories to try to make them work. Getting rid of the gold/tan paint color will instantly lighten and modernize the house, and look so much better with your travertine floors.

nico1026 thanked calidesign
  • PRO
    lisedv
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi, I had a little fun modifying your decor. I think the windows can be made more modern with the addition of black or very dark brown grids and painting the walls white or very light off-white as well as adding a large chandelier. Chunky lamps, making the fireplace mantle more simple and darker. Let me know what you think.

nico1026 thanked lisedv
  • User
    4 years ago

Plan something else for the window. Like a door.

• Sarah Guidry
    4 years ago

The pictures that commenters have provided you with of successful rooms are all layered. That seems to be what is missing in your room. Layers of lighting, art, rugs, pillows, window coverings bring in the warmth and coziness in those rooms. Your room has great bones that just need to be "dressed".

nico1026 thanked Sarah Guidry
  • Margaret Bannerman
    4 years ago

You can whitewash your stone fireplace easily with Romabio—-check out their website. That, plus painting your walls will give you a new start.

nico1026 thanked Margaret Bannerman
  • eclairerw
    4 years ago

Don’t cry. It’ll be ok. It’s furniture and in the end there’s so much to be grateful for in this big wide world.

nico1026 thanked eclairerw
  • lesliefromla
    4 years ago

You have an absolutely delightful room, with so much to offer!

Your furniture will work just fine.

Now, all you need to do is rethink your space and your furniture placement, then make the space “people friendly.”

1. First, so you can “see”: Physically remove everything except your sectional, the TV hanging on the wall and the large credenza/buffet piece beneath the TV.

2. Second, adjust the layout by “floating your sectional” in the room: Looking at this picture, turn your sectional counter-clockwise.

I hope you will try this pictured placement: Ideal because your brown chair, placed in front of the central window, repeats the window’s graceful brown curve.

Embrace and frame your beautiful window view (Striking in the daylight, but with solar up-lights on the trees, etc. absolutely stunning at night). Angle the sectional for comfortable TV viewing. (Given that the room’s dimensions are unknown, you may need the sectional to almost “mirror” the corner, but you will know when you’ve got this right.)

3. Use chairs (dining room chairs will work fine to let you physically see what works for you) to create possible other conversational groupings.

Think about using the hassocks (under the long sofa table that’s now against the wall) as low seating, placed opposite your sectional and between your coffee table and your TV.

4. Also, think about a “gaming table” with 2 to 4 comfortable chairs, between the window and your TV, near where your tree is now.

The other 2 matching, easily movable chairs could be placed next to one another: Possibly on the fur rug in front of the fireplace, facing one another with the little white and gold table in between). You’ll need to play with this to decide what works for you.

5. Now, check to be sure each seated person will have access to put down a drink, etc. Place your coffee table to service your sectional. You may want to use your long sofa table behind one part of your sectional (great for buffet service, etc.)

6. Now, step back and take a good look: What will it take to bring all these component parts together and make things “people friendly”?

You have a handsome, big rug: Use it in front of your sectional to anchor this conversational grouping.

Add softness and color:

Make your rug feel luxurious and expensive by buying good-quality wall-to-wall carpet padding from your local carpet store. Use carpet tape, as installers do, to fit this to your rug, trimming the padding about 2" smaller (on all sides). Your rug will feel "plush" and wonderful!

Pick up the colors in your rug with big, comfortable throw pillows on the sofa, for watching TV in comfort. I suggest inexpensive “Faux Suede” solid-color pillows in two colors from your rug: Buy 4 (2 for each end of your sectional).

For the center of the sectional, add an inexpensive brown “Faux fur” throw (ties in your brown chair) and a single, unusual, brown pillow (placed on top of the throw) for interest.

Bring the room into proportion with people by bringing “people-sized” items into the room:

Move your ficus benjamina plant out away from the corner and place in next to the far end of the sofa (the end near the window) to act as a height-reference and to lead the eye on out to the trees beyond. (Tiny twinkle lights on this ficus would be lovely at night, especially if they repeated the lights outside.)

Think about putting in an interesting coat and hat rack, perhaps to the right of your fireplace, with an umbrella and a sports hat, etc.

Simplify and soften your fireplace:

Take away everything that does not add to the ambiance you are creating: Firewood, relaxation.

Think about adding “fire stuff” and using round baskets to repeat the circular outlines of the arch above the mantel, which matches your windows.

Group your collections: Your white urns and such would greatly benefit from being displayed together: perhaps on top of the unusual large piece beneath your TV or together at the bottom of your sofa table.

Bottom line here:

There is absolutely no need for you to spend a bunch of money on anything. You have excellent decorating sense and the good taste to have a dog, which means you also want everything to be comfortable and practical, too. You are simply momentarily overwhelmed with all the changes and newness.

You have lovely things and a lovely home. Your sheepskin rug in front of the fireplace says you enjoy luxury and romance and joy, so have fun with your home: And, please do put some solar lights outside your family room windows to light up your trees and light up your life!

nico1026 thanked lesliefromla
  • pauletteg
    4 years ago

Lesliefromla you are a genius! Everything you suggested is amazing! Would you repaint the walls?

• Muriel Vasconcellos
    4 years ago

I like the arrangement with the sectional turned 180 degrees so that there's nothing blocking the window and the other side faces it. I'd suggest keeping the sectional until you are certain about the arrangement. If you don't want to block off the fireplace, then replace it with a single sofa and more large chairs. That way, you could pull the fireplace into the arrangement. Maybe move the TV a couple of feet to the right. My preference would be kilim pillows. They create a classic feel. I also like the idea of moving the hassocks as shown in the new plan.

Definitely keep the window for a couple of years to see if it grows on you. I still think the dark trim and the walls are killing it. There seems to be unanimity on painting the walls a shade of white. I would also mute the trim, or better yet, match the white walls but with a slightly glossier paint. The window calls for symmetry, so a ficus on each side. Maybe a side chair on each side if space allows.

I also like the idea of two chairs and a coffee table in front of the fireplace. And maybe whitewashing the brick.

I'd suggest getting your arrangement in place before you consider the chandelier. (I installed lighting over my kitchen table and later wanted to move the table but couldn't because it would have meant redoing the ceiling throughout the common area.)

nico1026 thanked Muriel Vasconcellos
  • Lynne
    4 years ago

great suggestions Lesliefromia. I really like the sectional and your idea of the furniture arrangement is spot on, I would paint the walls white though, and put some firewood in the woodbox.

nico1026 thanked Lynne
  • lesliefromla
    4 years ago

To PauletteG and Lynne: Thank you both for your kind comments! You've made my day!

Paulette, I would not paint the walls because I think the wall color goes very well with the floor color and the fireplace stone. If the paint is in good shape, then leave it alone.

The brown-beige floor and the fireplace stone go perfectly with each other and are both complemented by the sand-colored walls: Right now, the entire room is welcoming, a relaxing color that helps envelope the occupants in friendly comfort.

Going too light with the walls would throw both the floor and the fireplace into high contrast, making them look dingy.

Additionally, I would want the room to lead the eye onward, through the room and into the view beyond the windows, which this gentle color palette compliments.

Yes, Lynne, we both put firewood in the woodbox, which I think works well with the wooden baskets and the wooden standing coat rack that I think reinforces the comfortable, coziness.

Wishing you both a most enjoyable day!

nico1026 thanked lesliefromla
  • Eleanor Helms
    4 years ago

I like the stone fireplace but find the herringbone design tile above it fighting it. I would paint over the tile in a commentary solid color that will work with wall color and the natural Stone. and I like the window shape as they are not cookie cutter and arch seems to fit in the space.

nico1026 thanked Eleanor Helms
  • nico1026
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So many awesome ideas and things to consider - thank you all SO MUCH. @lesliefromla you really calmed me down LOL. Your suggestions are so thoughtful and reassuring - I think it's exactly as you said - I have been trying to race towards changing everything, and I need to put the brakes on and do some experimenting with what I have. I really love your ideas and will be testing the layout. We're getting the tile cleaned and resealed today and tomorrow, so all the furniture is out of the room giving me the perfect opportunity to play around. I do think I need a couple additional chairs, but will test the layout with pieces I have before I go buy something I don't need. I can't thank you enough for your reassurance and amazing guidance and ideas!!

• maniakwnetrz
    4 years ago

I would definitely repaint the walls in a light off-white color, which would give more contrast with the floor. Windows' framing could also be brighter.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

adding about largeness - I was looking at tables earlier, and I liked the chunky legs... maybe items like this one would not add to amber-ness of paint color [this is sun-faded distressed] -

Stratford Rustic Reclaimed Wood Rectangular Coffee Table · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/stratford-rustic-reclaimed-wood-rectangular-coffee-table-prvw-vr~89786437

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

So many people suggested painting the walls that I did, just so you could see if that's something you want to consider. The current color gives the room a more rustic vibe; lighter walls would make it more modern.

nico1026 thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    lisedv
    4 years ago

I agree with your comment on changing the wall colour. I had the exact same floor in one of my homes and had painted the wall in Benjamin Moore Natural Cream which complemented the floor colour giving a much brighter more modern feel to the room.

nico1026 thanked lisedv
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

With amber-y paint, your neutral sectional doesn't add more, and I think that makes sense....'character pieces' as you go, why not and course rug... Rug should have a bit of tan or such...

nico1026 thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

When I see dark tv unit, etc... added in, I vote instead for rustic shine like this brass - it might not show well in photographs but in person you might love it, idk.

Media / Made from durable Indian hardwood, with a sturdy metal offset with hammered brass-faced drawers / W 72" / D 14.75" / H 24"

Farrow 72.5Lx14Wx20H Brass Wood/Metal TV Stand Media Console With Storage · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/farrow-ii-cabinet-prvw-vr~119725193

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Here's a combo, in case this helps: Rugged design meets contemporary style - wood is rich and warm; acrylic base offers a cool floating effect....echoes imo the wow windows...48"W x 48"D x 15"

Ruby Coffee Table · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/ruby-coffee-table-prvw-vr~96374951

• everdebz
    4 years ago

One more 'boulder look' that you brought in with the other rocks.... ;)

Faceted Large Round Wood Coffee Table, Modern Geometric Block Solid · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/faceted-large-round-wood-coffee-table-modern-geometric-block-solid-prvw-vr~101725240?lid=77991385

• everdebz
    4 years ago

There are colors that go with paint color - one could work - do you like this maybe stylized paisley? 15% Linen, 84% Polyester [11 Available Colors]

Greenwich Jacquard Fabric Pattern Home Decor Drapery Fabric, Chili · More Info

Width: 57" Weight: 210 g/m2 •Pattern Repeat: Horizontal-30" / Vertical-28 1/2"

https://www.houzz.com/products/greenwich-jacquard-fabric-pattern-home-decor-drapery-fabric-chili-prvw-vr~124506407

• brenda
    4 years ago

As for the ceiling height, you mention beams in other rooms. You could add faux trusses (beams on the ceiling with beams lower across the bottom of them. Triangles.) in a stained wood, that would make the space feel less huge because the ceiling would feel lower. White paint night be nice then.

Curtains will definitely give texture and warmth, and built ins on the TV wall will cozy it up.

Keep the dark trim on the windows, definitely. I like black trim on windows, personally.

It looks like you have room to create zones. Maybe a second rug and a couple of armchairs and big floor pillows off to the left of the window.

I agree the mantel is all wrong.

Also- Plants!

Neutral walls-as is or white, and some art work that's proportionate to the room size.

Linen, chunky knits, textured pillows, leather, and some baskets of extra throws and pillows.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Your TV stand is awesome. Please don't change it.

• Muriel Vasconcellos
    4 years ago

I love the groveraxle's photo showing the white. It transforms the room! I'm currently working with designers to remodel the great room in our HOA Clubhouse, and we found that painting the walls **and the trim** white made a dramatic difference. The last thing you want is dingy. Dark trim is outdated and distracts from the view. I'd urge you not to go too "rustic" - the house appears to be quite elegant. Also not too matchy-matchy with colors. Complements and soft neutrals are fine.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

I'm guilty - I see a room with no curtains and so I want to 'add on' metal sheen etc... [idk what your tv unit looks like]… if you have pro drapery there, maybe that all by itself would add ALOT - doesn't have to be drab or exactly match wall ... somebody said 'layer'...

• maniakwnetrz
    4 years ago

Also, a light tone area rug would bring some contrast to your room. And I agree on plants.

Very light and delicate curtains will give the room more coziness.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

pillow / chair -

Aurora Burnout Velvet Drapery and Upholstery Fabric, Beach · More Info

Norwich Chevron Heavy Chenille Upholstery Fabric, Grass · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/norwich-chevron-heavy-chenille-upholstery-fabric-grass-prvw-vr~66477870

• misecretary
    4 years ago

I really like the idea of two chairs facing the fire-place -- it would provide a comfy spot to read a book, have a conversation, and snuggle with your little ones.

After enlarging your photo, I was able to see reflection of the outside on your television. Do you get a lot of glare on the TV screen throughout the day? I would be very tempted to move the TV to the one side of the window, although can't tell if it would even fit. If it did, I would move the sectional--setting it that so one side faced the window and the other side would run along the wall where the TV currently is. That way the back of the sectional would provide a divider between your living area and the comfy chair/fireplace area I mentioned.

Also, I have learned through trial and error to take a picture of the room once changes have been made. For some reason this allows me to "see" the room in a different way. Especially helpful when rearranging furniture.

• nico1026
    Original Author
    4 years ago

To all of you, and especially LESLIE @lesliefromla - a small update using stuff I re-purposed from other rooms to test your ideas. I also went with stuff I liked and made me feel comfortable vs. trying to "design" too hard. That took a lot of pressure off, let me tell you! So Leslie, I have you to thank for that little bit of therapy LOL.

Configuration-wise, we tried to flip the sectional but it is SO HUGE that it blocked off the entire room. In the forefront of the pic is the entry from the front door/hallway into the great room, so with the sectional flipped, it was entirely closed off - you'd have to walk around the sectional all the way to the window to sit down. So that just didn't work.

Instead, I figured out how to take the entire return out while leaving the corner piece, so it is now more of a massive couch :) I still think it''s probably too big for the room width, but I don't mind it, and I really like that it's not cutting off that window. The color is even working much better with the move to neutrals (below)..

I added an ivory chair I had in a spare room and then added the other charcoal chair into the mix to create a little paired up seating area by the window. I still feel like I need 2 bad-ass ivory chairs, but I don't feel so desperate anymore.

I used all my neutral pillows and furs to introduce more texture and charcoal into the mix which I really love paired with ivory. The couch is now a great foundation for this since it does read slightly grey ivory and the tonal color scheme really makes me happy.

I changed out the rug to one I had that was just plain wool ivory and added my cowhide which is more taupe-ish (it's my favorite thing, why was I hiding it in an upstairs bedroom). I know some of you are going to say the rug is still too small which is probably true (it's 9x12). I think I could get an oversized seagrass to anchor eventually after I finalize furniture.

I added an art print behind the olive tree to add more interest (will switch the pot to a big basket and maybe build up the height if I can) and I've got this humongous faux deer head w/ antlers that I might just put on the other wall to the left. I'm trying to heed the advice to not go too rustic, but the large scale and 3D interest it adds to that wall looks super cool to me... I'll send a pic of that when I get it hung and you guys can yell at me :)

I also had my husband rip off the fireplace mantle. Of course now the fireplace is a complete disaster and we need to repair stone and replace with a simple rustic beam, but nothing like creating a sense of urgency....

I am still contemplating paint. I am terrified that re-painting the entire house even a soft shade of white is going to really throw this entire thing into high contrast, and white walls just seem to demand so much of the other elements in the room that I'm not sure I can pull it off.

Feedback on the small changes so far? Better/worse/no difference? Other ideas/thoughts?

• anna_682
    4 years ago

Great house!

nico1026 thanked anna_682
  • calidesign
    4 years ago

This arrangement is fine, but so was your first one. I actually liked the first one better, which seemed more inviting with the larger sectional and the warmth of the rug. But this arrangement works better if you're keeping the wall color. You have a great sense of style and some really nice pieces. I think a warm white wall color would really update your space no matter how you arrange it. As long as you choose a warm or neutral white, and not a bright, stark, or cold white, you aren't going to have a high contrast, and it will look great with your tile. Something like SW Shoji White has enough color to give some slight warmth, but has a bit of gray so it stays neutral and not yellow.

nico1026 thanked calidesign
  • lee6336
    4 years ago

Oh wow!! Fabulous changes!!! So livable. Little bit at a time is less stressful. I still say cream/ ivory not white paint, but to each his own. You have tan tile flooring and tan in your granite. Compliment it with SW Maison Blanc. If you get out, pick up a color swatch. I like what you've done to cozy it up.

nico1026 thanked lee6336
  • Muriel Vasconcellos
    4 years ago

Quantum improvement! So much more integrated. With all the charcoal and black, the white walls might be too stark after all. Maybe ivory. And maybe add some more color in pillows, in pictures/ objects on the walls, or on tabletops.

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

I’d still paint the walls but looks really nice with your “new” pieces

nico1026 thanked Gcubed
  • Laura Ricci
    4 years ago

I still would advocate for a chandelier. But this I looking really good!

nico1026 thanked Laura Ricci
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

I like the new arrangement, but find it a bit too busy. Too many round white things call my attention from the things I really like, like the shape of the chairs and the cowhide. I'd remove pillow and throw from the charcoal chairs, clear off the table between them, and remove some pillows from the sofa. And I'd lower the TV and sound bar to about 8" above the console.

• tatd
    4 years ago

First of all you have a stunning home. Congratulations on moving to your your new home.
    Secondly, I personally liked your sectional. It looks like the room can handle the size plus it provides awesome seating. Coffee table, entertainment stand, all beautiful and works.

I thought you nailed it better with the first configuration. You were so close you just needed to bring it home.

I agree with Groveraxle I would lighten the room colour as she showed. Then I’d put a nice console table behind the exposed back of the sectional. Maybe move the one from the wall beside the windows with the ottomans if the size works. Then I would have used the two dark chairs and framed out your fireplace. The problem with both configurations is that the fireplace was getting left out off to the side in the corner. Make your add’l seating there. Keep the rugs from the second configuration. I love the cowhide.
    Hang a huge round black wrought iron light fixture chandelier 2 or 3 tiered if possible. Add an antique door against the brick above your fireplace to take the eye up and balance the height of the windows on the opposite wall. Stack chopped wood in that cutout where you have the vase. Last but not least consider light colour airy sheers to match your new wall colour on a black wrought iron rod (pick up from the chandelier) to frame out your windows especially the smaller arches.

I think the devil is in the details and it is already beautiful. You’ve got great taste!

nico1026 thanked tatd
  • LT Dub
    4 years ago

Looks great!’

nico1026 thanked LT Dub
  • tatd
    4 years ago

Console table and light fixture

nico1026 thanked tatd
  • tatd
    4 years ago

Antique door over fp.

• tatd
    4 years ago

Windows treatments

• tatd
    4 years ago

Window treatments

• everdebz
    4 years ago

By osmosis [hm?] I feel fabulous reading a couple comments of yours, I needed and others too about not worry into desperation... relaxing about it... Go girl!

• everdebz
    4 years ago

With good reviews I wanted you to get to see

-- The rustic appearance will accent your stone, brick or tile. 7 lengths are available in a 6" x 6" width. Distressed is the regular finish. Hanging hardware is not included.

Distressed Fireplace Mantle, 54", Plain · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/distressed-fireplace-mantle-54-plain-prvw-vr~8393034

• Jora
    4 years ago

I wish I had your problem of furnishing that Gorgeous house.

I may not love all of it, but the things I love about it FAR surpass the stuff I don't. Enough so that I only see a Beautiful space.

I'm not a Pro - but I'd start with painting the room (something in white family), and get a very large rug to encompass as much space in the room as possible.

Ditto on Beth's suggestions...will make your room even more stunning.

nico1026 thanked Jora