SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Sexism and hair

IdaClaire
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I've been noticing more and more how so many women in media seem to wear the same hairstyle: smooth, longer, often heat styled into waves. I came across this article that speaks to this phenomenon...https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.instyle.com/hair/secret-beauty-rules-of-television-talking-heads%3famp=trueI started thinking about my own lifetime of hair "adventures" and how subtle or blatant sexism has been a part of that. In my 20s I had a shag cut that I occasionally curled. One day a man at my workplace (I was a civilian administrative assistant for the US Air Force) walked into my office and asked if I'd done something different to my hair. When I said I had curled it, he replied, "Yeah... don't ever do that again." I was young and insecure in many ways, and I felt so devalued as an employee. I didn't know what to say in reply, so I remained silent. And I stopped curling my hair.
I recently went from longer hair to a pixie cut, as most of you know. A male supervisor in my office remarked on my change in appearance (which happened gradually), and said in a joking manner, "Well, whenever you come in with a buzz cut, we'll have to have a little talk!"
Oh? Will we?
I don't want to come across as the militant, angry older woman, but my God. It's nearly 2020 and some men apparently still think it's their prerogative to comment on our appearance. I realize I am not saying anything new here.
Have any of you received comments in the workplace about your hairstyle or appearance that left you feeling judged? Even seemingly innocuous comments made in passing have a way of conveying passive aggressive undertones IMO. I find myself rather taken aback that they still happen when it's almost 2020.

Comments (70)