SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matt_schuetze

Seeking ideas for patio refresh

Matt Schuetze
4 years ago

Hello everyone. I am about to embark on a patio project and am seeking ideas. We currently have a 16'x19' square concrete patio one step up from the driveway. The two nearest driveway slabs are sinking into the near corner so have created cracks across the patio, and make a worsening trip hazard into the garage. We know we need to replace all the concrete, however before simply replacing what was there with new, we wanted to explore other surfaces for the patio portion. I'll start with my renderings, and post photos next.

The patio floor is indeed green! So strange to have a concrete slab that shade. It also has a bed along the right edge that we would like to fill in, get rid of the boxwoods growing in there, and go with only container plants going forward. The privacy wall on the right stays. The firetable is crumbling, so the table goes away. We would like however to have a fire feature in the new design.

In the floorplan below, the sections of driveway below the patio are pitching to the left into the corner and towards the garage, hence the sinking problem and reason for cracks in the patio slab. The end of the driveway opens into the grassy backyard. The combination of patio, open driveway area, and yard comprise the "whole space".

Looking for ideas. I was thinking a rectangular table with fire bowl at one end, with a pit group L sofa and only two floating chairs. Big question will be patio surface: concrete again or something nicer like bluestone? Any one have ideas they can share? Much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (4)