SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebecca_mauri

Trying to find stains that can work well on fir door and pine windows

4 years ago

Hello wise houzzers

We are almost done with our kitchen reno. One of the design ideas I had was to stain our new windows and the new door going from the kitchen to our screened in porch. All of this in the service of the design and to bring in some earthy rustic tones to the kitchen.

Well, my exterior door is made of fir. The windows are pine. So that means stain will not look the same on these two very different wood species. So, I've been on the hunt for stains that will make the pine and fir look like they are nearly the same (a little off is okay).

What I have found is that I really like how a golden oak stain looks on the fir. It's warm, but not too yellow. It really brings forward the wood grain. When I test golden oak on pine, it's flat and kind of dull. So I guess my questions are -

Does anyone know what kind of stain I should try on the pine that resembles a golden oak finish on fir?

or

Does anyone have advice on other stain colors to try? I do not expect to be able to use the same stain color on the fir as I do the pine. But perhaps there are combos that I haven't discovered yet that can get us closer to having windows and doors that look related? I've been doing a lot of trial and error for two weeks with not a lot of success.

Below are pictures for reference of our design. It's a black and white kitchen concept.

Thank you!

Kitchen Design · More Info

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County