SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laundryvet

Word of caution - GE microwave with push button door open and trim kit

laundryvet
4 years ago

I’ll begin by saying I really like my GE Profile Microwave oven, both it’s appearance and how easy it is to operate, but i have run into a rather unfavorable servicing issue.

After 3 months of use, the door open button has failed In the closed position. Generally an easy fix, but unfortunately, not this one. I also purchased a GE trim kit to customize the look of the microwave to give it that finished built in look Into the cabinetry of my new construction. The problem is the trim kit is installed with the microwave door open, two screws up and two screws down, just forward of the oven cavity. So as you can imagine, a tough decision will need to be made by GE Service- either break the microwave or break the trim piece to fix a broken door button. Hard to believe this got past the Design Failure Mode Effects Analysis, but apparently it slipped through.

While this will be covered by warranty, the next one would be on me.

So, a word of caution to those thinking of buying a microwave oven with a button release and a trim kit - go with a handle version!

Oh, and when the button fails, the cavity light goes on, the rotation mechanism begins turning, but i am not certain if the emitter is on. Note the unit has not yet been programmed with time - yet takes off on its own! This would seem to be a potentially bad safety hazard if in fact the emitter turns on without a cycle being initiated. Recognizing the runaway failure immediately, I scrambled for a chair and quickly pulled the plug in the upper cabinet within 20 seconds of the failure as it broke when I went to open it to put something in it , again, before adding time with a cycle. IMHO the Consumer Product Safety Commission should investigate this.

I suppose it could have been worse and broken with food in it, and if you have to wait two - three weeks for servicing, whatever was getting nuked will be turning a bit nasty trapped in the microwave.

Comment (1)