SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_mccartan

painting living and dining room in very small bungalow

Laurie McCartan
4 years ago

Hello!

We just downsized to a very small house. 815 square feet. I love it, but it's also been a more difficult transition than I imagined. I want some color in it, but I am stuck. I stare at sample colors and get overwhelmed, especially in terms of the two main rooms -- living room and dining room. People always try to discourage me from using bold colors because they say they make rooms look small, but I've never found that to be the case. I'm open to anything. I'm lacking courage because of the size of the house. I've always been up for picking new paint colors, but this time I'm anxious! I don't want it to look like the paint colors are wearing the house, you know? I'm not much of a decorator. I have a pretty spare style. My friend jokes that it is "monastery chic."

Regarding the pictures, ignore the paint on the walls. I've been trying some sample colors. :-) I really want to use a navy blue in the living room, but I worry it's too much in the small house. What do you think about brilliant white in the living room and then a dark blue in the dining room? Would the white mitigate the dark blue a little, or would the transition between the two rooms be too extreme? I'm not a huge fan of the Greige movement. I am not a fan of anything beige, in fact. I know it has its place. I really do, but it just feels too safe for me. I enjoy paint that has a life of its own, if that makes sense. If you are willing to respond, I really appreciate your time, and I am open to absolutely any color. I know what I like, but I'm not good at being patient enough to explore colors I don't know. Thank you for your time.

Comments (11)