SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

I'll show you mine/you show me yours - Sa 10/26

Annie Deighnaugh
4 years ago

Today is National Tennessee Day in case anyone has pics they'd like to share.

Unfortunately, I do not.

So here's a little more New England foliage instead...or 'foilage' as some like to say...

Comments (20)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

• susanwv
    4 years ago

• Lars
    4 years ago

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago

I saw a little video of a pet stoat. It was adorable! That one you posted is much cuter.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    4 years ago

My former maple tree. I'd forgotten how beautiful the color was.

• maire_cate
    4 years ago

• roy4me
    4 years ago

• Michele
    4 years ago

A stoat?! I’m embarrassed to admit I have to look that cute little creature up! So sweet.

I took a long walk in the neighborhood. No fall color worth taking a pic of yet.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago

Ermine is another name.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago

How about a vase of my shrimp plant flowers. Best I can find.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

Home of the Appalachian Trail, Smokey Mountains, Music City, Beale Street, Graceland, where Vivian Thomas and Alfred Blalock met and found a way to treat blue baby disease (and the roots of heart surgery), wonderful people and nothing? Fine. A double rainbow from Music City, USA, Nashville. Today

• Michele
    4 years ago

What a beautiful world we live in

• jemdandy
    4 years ago

The image below is 2 promissory notes written by my g-g-grandfather when he lived in Tennessee. This was not long after he had served under Andrew Jackson in the War of the Floridas.

Apparently, he did not possess a hand stamp, instead, he indicated a stamp by drawing a border with curlicues and writing the word 'seal' within. Maybe this was the practice at that time and thought necessary to make a legal document. Improvisations were made in documents during pioneer times. Printed promissory forms began to appear in my family records after 1835.

On the first note dated August the 1st . . . . 1823, he promised to pay James Boon one dollar. On the second note dated 28th Day November, 1825, he promised to pay Joseph Thompson two barrels of corn.

A fragment from the life and times of Pioneers in Tennessee.

• jemdandy
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

After the Revolutionary War (War of Rebellion), a new country, the United States of America, was formed during the 1780s. Up to this war, the colonial monetary system was a Hodge podge system of bartering and the English Pound. Tobacco and nails were commonly used as money. (Maybe you've heard of a 6 penny or 10 penny nail?) After the Revolutionary War. the federal monetary system took some time to fully establish itself. Did you know that at one time individual states issued money? Tennessee was one of those as found on this promissory note where my g-g-grandfather promised to pay in 'the current money of Tennessee'.

The note reads:

"By the 25th of December next I promise to pay John Hord(ner)? the sum of Eight Dollars inthe current money of the State of Tennessee for value received of him this 8th of May 1827."

Notice that the old style of writing the double-s appears in the word Tennessee. The first s is highly elongated above and below the base line. It has the same height and descender as the letter f and is commonly confused by transcribers. The differences are: The f's upper and lower loops are both on the right side of the vertical staff; For the s, the upper loop is the same but the lower loop is on the left side of the staff, like an elongated numeral 8. Sometime during the 1830s, this style of writing ss changed to the present modern form.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

This is the land my family owned. Bought it from Andrew Jackson. If we're talking OLD Nashville (the original Nashville)

http://nashvillesaloons.weebly.com/5-hells-half-acre.html

• jemdandy
    4 years ago

Nice set of photos: A modern photo with very early photos.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    4 years ago

jem, those letters are wonderful!

• OklaMoni
    4 years ago

I was way to busy to post yesterday... here is one from my trip in/through Tennessee in July: