Green Tomato Relish .... need recipe

Ava

My grandma used to make the best tomato relish but unfortunately no one has her recipe. I got a bushel of green tomatoes from a farmer and need a tried and true recipe. I recall grandma's was not overly sweet. Anyone have a recipe to share that isn't overly sweet?

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
war garden

look up ball canning guide recipe

Save     Thanked by Ava
2ManyDiversions

Ava, this is the one we love, but it's a sweet relish. If you wish it less sweet, reduce the sugar by half : ) I panic if we run out!

If you find there is too much liquid, I just don't add it all when freezing. This is not a recipe for canning.

Green Tomato Sweet Relish

(good on sandwiches, hot dogs, or as stand-alone relish)

Ingredients:

• 7 ½ large green tomatoes, sliced
  • 1 red bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 green pepper, sliced
  • 3 ¾ large white onions
  • 2+3/4 tspn. Celery seed
  • 2+3/4 tspn. Mustard seed
  • 1 tspn. Salt
  • 1 ½ cups white sugar (reduce to 3/4 cup or less for a tarter relish)
  • ½ cup + 2 Tbs. cider vinegar

Directions:

1. In a food processor coarsely grind tomatoes, red & green bell peppers, and onions (will need to do in batches – any veggie, together or separate - and put in large stock pot).
  2. Add remaining ingredients to stock pot and bring to a boil, then simmer on low for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
  3. Allow to cool.
  4. May freeze in separate baggies or containers. Use a fork to dip out if too liquid for hot dogs.

Save     Thanked by Ava
OutsidePlaying

This was my grandmother’s recipe. It is not sweet, despite the amount of sugar, chunky, easy to make and not your usual chopped up, mashed relish. It’s what I loved when I was growing up and I still make it, but I have to cut down the recipe. It’s called ‘Fish Camp Relish’. Have no idea why.

4 quarts (16 cups) green tomatoes, cut into eighths, long-wise

1 quart (4 cups) onion, cut longwise into strips

1 pint (2 cups) hot peppers, thickly sliced - these are the long, skinny hot peppers usually grown in the south, not jalapeños, but you could probably substitute jalapeños

4 cups sugar

1/2 cup salt (less if using pickling salt)

1/2 gallon vinegar

(I also use 1/8 tsp Pickle Crisp in the bottom of each jar)

bring vinegar, salt and sugar to boil. Pack tomatoes & onions and several hot peppers (or divide among jars) into pint jars. Pour liquid into jars and seal.

Save     Thanked by Ava
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Edible Gardens Check Out These Recipes for Delicious Themed Edible Gardens
It’s garden-planning time! What you grow often inspires meals, but in these cases the reverse is true
Full Story
Green Decorating Easy Green: 23 Ways to Reduce Waste at Home
Pick from this plethora of earth-friendly ideas to send less to the landfill and keep more money in your pocket
Full Story
Life 5 Home Cooks Share Their Favorite Family Recipes
Peek inside the kitchens of these Houzz users and learn how to cook their time-tested, passed-down dishes
Full Story