SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
indyviv

Rambler needs updated front yard

indyviv
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We recently purchased this 1966 rambler. While the inside has been updated the outside was mostly gutted of its previous landscaping. We are looking to add a patio with some privacy to the right of the front door. We are debating a variety of options—pergola, no pergola, half privacy fence vs plantings to do the work, etc. suggestions. We are also thinking about whitewashing the brick. I am planning on painting the front doors to add some color. Suggestions for landscaping, etc., would be greatly appreciated. This is way beyond our previous experience with front yard design. We are in the Midwest and the house is facing west. We are also planning on overseeding the front yard with clover and to ease out of having a so much grass and grass maintenance. (Edited: I am having trouble uploading photos. This one was taken in early March before we purchased it. There are now black shutters on the windows, the front doors were also painted black, and the yard isn’t this dead yet.)

The single window there is to our dining room. I would like to replace it with French doors which would allow outside access. However, the window is above the air vent. Below is a fully finished basement with a glassblock window. I am wondering if those two items make it impossible to add French doors. Maybe the donors would look odd and unbalance the house?

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida