SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Need Advice on Soil for Small Miniature Roses

I just bought 3 miniature roses today at Walmart - the blooms are bright yellow and very large for a mini rose so they might be a mini-flora. The plants are healthy but there are 3-4 "cuttings" in each small pot. I want to be careful about the kind of soil I repot them in. I have some bark fine/mushroom compost/sand soil that I use on my sturdier flower beds but I feel this is too coarse for these tiny rooted babies. I am thinking of a soilless mix that is quite fine - which is what they are in. Maybe even a seed starting mix? I have a friend who put a grocery store mini in Sta-Green soil with fertilizer in it - this mini is now huge - super healthy and just beautiful. He pots all his roses in this and they are gorgeous. It is a nice looking blend, not too coarse. Wondering if I should repot in a seed starting mix, like it looks like they are in now, then let them grow and get stronger then put them in this Sta Green mix. Would appreciate any input on what kind of soil I should repot them in - they are very healthy, showing new growth, but the stems are small and they look like they could be fragile.

Thanks for any advice!

Judith

Comments (2)