SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ourcabininthewoods4747

Anode rod in hot water tank bad in less than a year.

Tracey
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We moved into our house in February 2019. Previous owners replaced hot water tank 2018. After moving in we had the water tested because it was leaving white residue everywhere (well water). We inadvertently discovered the water ph was too low, and probably the reason much of the plumbing was failing. We had an ash system installed about April to keep ph between 7 and 8.
The hardness rating of our water is 6. Water guy said we did not have high levels of calcium. The total dissolved solids is 1200 ppm which I understand is very high. Water guy said a whole home system to decrease the ppm was not practical.
About 1 month ago the hot water started to smell bad. Water guy advised it must be a bad anode rod in the hot water tank. My research tells me the anode rod should last 5 years. My husband rounded the bolt trying to get it out. So at this point we might be forced into buying a new tank if we can't get someone to get this thing out.
In the meantime I'm trying to understand what could make an anode rod go bad this quickly. And how can I prevent it?

Comments (3)