SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nycxav

Andersen 400 Series Sash Upgrade

Xav
4 years ago

We have a house built in 1980 with mostly original windows, Andersen 400 Series in Terratone, (Awning, Picture and Casement) and some newer ones (2001 I believe) with different operators and lock mechanism (single lever commanding two locks instead of two separate locks)

All the windows are double pane but some of the old ones have failed seals and worn hardware (operators and locks)

The frames are in good shape but the vinyl cladding is fading on both frames and sashes.

We are considering replacing sashes with new Andersen 400 Low E4 double pane sashes in black (new color) and getting our (thin and faded) outside frames painted black to match the new sashes.

I got a quote and it sure is much cheaper than replacing the windows entirely and also creates way less disturbance.

We are also considering making one window that was a picture window operable (about 43 by 43 inches) for egress purposes. It looks like all the parts (operator, locks, stops, etc) are available to do so and even though not recommended by Andersen my investigation of how casement windows operate in the house seems to prove that it would be possible.

I also would like to change some of the existing operators to more modern design (either white or satin nickel) and possibly change the locking mechanism on some windows to single lever (like the newer ones) for convenience.

Here are my questions:

1) Is it worth the expense to replace all sashes on 40 year old windows? Frames appear to be in good shape but will they last?

2) Has anyone painted 400 series vinyl clad frames? How long does it last?

I understand they will require some maintenance over the years but they are faded anyway already. Where can I find the correct black color code to match the new sashes?

3) Has anyone ever converted picture windows to awning or casement with available additional hardware?

4) Has anyone upgraded the operators and locks of older windows to newer ones? The sashes will be new so no additional holes will have to be drilled in the sashes but in the frames, are the holes in the same place or will they require additional holes to be drilled? If new holes are required what is the best way to patch the old ones to make sure the wood remains protected?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (2)